How sad is it that only 361 signatures petitioned for an app. Regardless whether you use netflix or not, many in the community do, and by not supporting your community, it shows no unity within this community. BlackBerry may have waited to long to get with the program but they have now and have been since the launch of BB10. The community is now failing BlackBerry. One simple signature and sharing in your social network isn't much to ask for. For those that did, I and the people who care about this cause appreciate it. For the rest, thanks for your negative comments and non support for us or BlackBerry. Now I know why BlackBerry isn't doing well in the consumer market. It's own community doesn't give a **** about them and all they want to do is bring negative vibes to this forum but don't have the will or the drive to help fix it.

Posted via CB10
    You are dismissing the loyalty of all die hard BlackBerry fans who have spent a lot of money through the years, buying many BB phones despite their limitations. I think anybody who continues to buy BB devices and stay with the platform is a loyal customer, regardless of whether they use Netflix or support a move to get its app. Please don't dismiss this loyalty so easily just because you are not getting enough support for something you wish to do or have!
    Bbnivende and MarsupilamiX like this.
    02-16-15 07:33 AM
    You are dismissing the loyalty of all die hard BlackBerry fans who have spent a lot of money through the years, buying many BB phones despite their limitations. I think anybody who continues to buy BB devices and stay with the platform is a loyal customer, regardless of whether they use Netflix or support a move to get its app. Please don't dismiss this loyalty so easily just because you are not getting enough support for something you wish to do or have!
    Regardless of whether or not you use Netflix, this petition highlights why devs choose not to make native apps.
    If Netflix, a major player can only generate 360 interested parties to ask for a blackberry app, then why should any other Dev bother?
    I honestly expected to see thousands of supporters. Even that would be a minor number for Netflix

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-16-15 09:09 AM
    Signed.
    02-16-15 09:37 AM
    Regardless of whether or not you use Netflix, this petition highlights why devs choose not to make native apps.
    If Netflix, a major player can only generate 360 interested parties to ask for a blackberry app, then why should any other Dev bother?
    I honestly expected to see thousands of supporters. Even that would be a minor number for Netflix

This may be a good lesson for you not to assume that the entire world cares about what you care about! Many have pointed out in this thread why Netflix wouldn't want to make a native BB app. You didn't want to believe what you were hearing just because you didn't like the answer!

Going back to what I said in my other post, why blame the loyal BlackBerry fans for BlackBerry's problems just because they didn't seem to support this petition as you or the petitioner expected?
    02-16-15 09:43 AM
    Well this got a little ugly. But as others have said, these sort of petitions have gone around before, and I'm guessing the amount if support/signatures decreases each time...
    02-16-15 10:14 AM
    I wish you luck with your petition. However, as a Canadian, I am not willing to pay the same price consumers in the U.S. pay for less than 1/2 the content (3,600 titles versus 10,000 titles)! Until they lower the price for Canadians, Netflix can kiss my Z!
    Netflix U.S.: 10,000 titles. Netflix Canada: 3,600 titles. Both at $7.99 month. Don't see an issue here? Even Amazon has figured out that you can't charge the same price in Canada for less content and service (although one could still argue if the price difference is enough); Amazon Prime U.S.: Free 2 day shipping, Unlimited movies and TV, Unlimited music streaming, Unlimited photo storage, 500,000 free ebooks, and early access to deals at $99 year. Amazon Prime Canada: Free 2 day shipping and unlimited photo storage at $79 year.

I wish more Canadians would tell Netflix to kiss their Z as they did with Target, who offered Canadians far less choice and little in the way of the deals that are found in the U.S. stores. Unfortunately, Canadians are pretty easygoing when it comes to getting taken advantage of by multinational corporations who use "smoke and mirrors" to explain the disparities.

Disclaimer: When I lived in the U.S. I purchased both Amazon Prime and Netflix at one time or another and I shopped at Target from time-to-time.
    02-16-15 10:51 AM
    Didn't Mr. Chen already do this a few weeks ago?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 01:10 PM
    In the meantime.......

I'm enjoying the Android version I have loaded.

lol.
    02-16-15 01:29 PM
    Didn't Mr. Chen already do this a few weeks ago?
    In a way, but it came off as more of an entitled rant. Less of a request and more of a failed attempt at public shaming.

By my understanding, their history goes something like this:
    T. Heins: Please develop Netflix for BB10.
    Netflix: We're going to see if there's demand for your product before committing the significant resources required to that task.
    T. Heins: So we're off to a bit of a slow start, how about we develop the app for you? Look at the *cough* excellent job we did for Facebook. I'm sure your media partners won't get TOO upset about third-party development.
    Netflix: Yeah... that's not happening. If you want one, the fee is 8 figures.
    T. Heins: Prosumers don't have time for apps like Netflix.
    J. Chen: We no longer have a consumer focus. Put those consumer apps in Amazon, not BBW.
    Netflix: We're glad that all worked out. Our app is available through Amazon for all widescreen devices, including BBs. We don't think the 1:1 ratio devices provide a good enough experience though.
    J. Chen: Developers like Netflix are killing innovation and should be FORCED to develop for everyone, especially us, without expecting a return on their investment.
    Netflix: <speechless>
    Last edited by mornhavon; 02-16-15 at 03:04 PM.
    02-16-15 02:06 PM
    In a way, but it came off as more of an entitled rant. Less of a request and more of a failed attempt at public shaming.

Netflix: We're going to see if there's demand for your product before committing the significant resources required to that task.
    T. Heins: So we're off to a bit of a slow start, how about we develop the app for you? Look at the *cough* excellent job we did for Facebook. I'm sure your media partners won't get TOO upset about third-party development.
    J. Chen: We no longer have a consumer focus. Put those consumer apps in Amazon, not BBW.
    Netflix: We're glad that all worked out. Our app is available through Amazon for all widescreen devices, including BBs. We don't think the 1:1 ratio devices provide a good enough experience though.
    J. Chen: Developers like Netflix are killing innovation and should be FORCED to develop for everyone, especially us, without expecting a return on their investment.
    I don't think you are too far off, actually.

If I had to guess, I'd say 8 figures was the asking price.
    02-16-15 03:10 PM

I think five or six eight figure payouts would have been well worth the money.... as long as we had the top ten applications that people were looking for.

But to not have Instagram and Netflix.... what did Thor think would happen?
    02-16-15 03:19 PM
    In a way, but it came off as more of an entitled rant...
    I've heard this argument, and variations thereof, since he made his statement. I've posted elsewhere in CB giving kudos to him, right or wrong. It is an *idea* - a dangerous thing.

Funny thing about the Canadian psyche: The Canadian glass ceiling is not just for women and minorities (oh, don't fool yourselves into thinking it doesn't exist in our fair country!), but once we get on that world stage, we are not as - and not expected nor expect ourselves to be - as brash as our vociferous neighbours to the south.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 05:42 PM
    Funny thing about the Canadian psyche: The Canadian glass ceiling is not just for women and minorities (oh, don't fool yourselves into thinking it doesn't exist in our fair country!), but once we get on that world stage, we are not as - and not expected nor expect ourselves to be - as brash as our vociferous neighbours to the south.
    Nor is the Glass Ceiling concept to be abused. The Glass Ceiling dogma is for those who have been historically discriminated against. Don't for a moment allude that RIM /BBRY even comes close to being able to utilize that concept. That's just an insult to those who have had to work 3 times as hard due to no other action other than just existing, to just to be able to use the metaphor when racing for the flag.
    TGR1, jmr1015 and JeepBB like this.
    02-16-15 05:50 PM
    I've heard this argument, and variations thereof, since he made his statement. I've posted elsewhere in CB giving kudos to him, right or wrong. It is an *idea* - a dangerous thing.
    I actually like the base technical concept, although certainly not the legislative aspect of it.

IF there was a universal programming language that preformed as well as native code and if all service providers had a broad set of platform-agnostic APIs so that developers truly could code once, only need to tweak the UI for individual platforms and call it a day, the tech world would be a better place IMHO.

However, John Chen isn't bringing solutions to the table, he's just claiming that HTML5 is good enough for this (talk to a skilled developer, there are many reasons it's not the language of choice), and then holding up BBM as the poster child for openness. BBM. An app that waited until it was almost irrelevant before going cross-platform and that still provides a poor iOS (and Android, to an extent) experience. Where is the BBM app for platforms smaller than BB10? Shouldn't it be easy for BlackBerry to write a high-quality HTML5 app that works on every platform flawlessly?

If John Chen had released tools or a viable roadmap for a language that accomplished that herculean feat (and hadn't mentioned the "forcing through law" bit), his "dangerous idea" may have been met with incredible worldwide enthusiasm. Instead, all he did was point fingers and complain without providing a reasonable solution. It was not a good look for him.

While we're at it, let's pass a law that agriculture companies need to feed everyone, starvation will be outlawed. There's enough food in the world, the logistics will sort themselves out once those discriminatory Ag companies have no other choice.
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    02-16-15 07:51 PM
    I would have signed it, but they require my address and I don't feel comfortable providing that.
    All that tinfoil hat.
    Kek

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    02-17-15 01:33 AM
    sounds like a wifi problem.

Posted via CB750
    Well it works when I disable Wifi. So that is what I do, I start a Netflix movie then I turn on Wifi. That way it works with Wifi. As soon as I swipe the app to an active frame, it no longer works. Unless I disable Wifi.

This link has a better explanation.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=997336

Posted by Q5
    02-17-15 03:54 AM
    Attachment 333839

I have something better than their app...I made my z10 a remote for their services. Ruku box works!

Posted via the pure awesomeness of blackberry.
    ROKU 3 no longer works with Un-Block Us and Blockless services. Even when you setup your own Static IP's. The latest update firmware messed everything up. Now I'm streaming off my PC.

Posted by Q5
    02-17-15 03:57 AM
    I think this petition may save Netflix money. Rather than do private research to discover the percentage of people who want a Netflix app they can just look at the 380 signatures on this and see they don't need one.
    BB_Junky and JeepBB like this.
    02-17-15 05:27 AM
    Netflix U.S.: 10,000 titles. Netflix Canada: 3,600 titles. Both at $7.99 month. Don't see an issue here? Even Amazon has figured out that you can't charge the same price in Canada for less content and service (although one could still argue if the price difference is enough); Amazon Prime U.S.: Free 2 day shipping, Unlimited movies and TV, Unlimited music streaming, Unlimited photo storage, 500,000 free ebooks, and early access to deals at $99 year. Amazon Prime Canada: Free 2 day shipping and unlimited photo storage at $79 year.

I wish more Canadians would tell Netflix to kiss their Z as they did with Target, who offered Canadians far less choice and little in the way of the deals that are found in the U.S. stores. Unfortunately, Canadians are pretty easygoing when it comes to getting taken advantage of by multinational corporations who use "smoke and mirrors" to explain the disparities.

Disclaimer: When I lived in the U.S. I purchased both Amazon Prime and Netflix at one time or another and I shopped at Target from time-to-time.
    You are making the wrong comparisons. Canadians can now use Shomi or Crave streaming services. Are they better? Do they have Native apps ?

Rogers that sort of sells BlackBerry phones does not even have a native app for its NHL streaming service.

This problem is with Blackberry. They should be stocking the Android apps that their users want . Would Netflix refuse to stock their app in BBW?
    02-17-15 08:51 AM
    ...isn't bringing solutions to the table, he's just claiming that HTML5 is good enough...
    It may not be, but even Adobe, the creator of the ubiquitous Flash, is doing away with it. There is "almost always" a better way. (Scientists are even trying to make the wheel more round!)

Coding languages replace each other after some time. Why? Improvements are made.

Again, I'll say, he's put forth an idea, *which* is a dangerous thing. (NOTE: The specific idea isn't dangerous; the "putting forward", and all that it implies, is.)

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 12:07 PM
    Attachment 334194

Posted via the pure awesomeness of blackberry.
    02-17-15 12:37 PM
    It may not be, but even Adobe, the creator of the ubiquitous Flash, is doing away with it. There is "almost always" a better way. (Scientists are even trying to make the wheel more round!)
    Coding languages replace each other after some time. Why? Improvements are made.
    Again, I'll say, he's put forth an idea, *which* is a dangerous thing. (NOTE: The specific idea isn't dangerous; the "putting forward", and all that it implies, is.)
    Rather than argue over minutia, I'll just say that I think we agree on a lot of the technical aspect. Flash was amazing at one time, but that time has passed and it's now time for HTML5 to replace it. HTML5 is a great language for web experiences, but anyone who thinks it can compete with a native app experience in all but the most simplistic of apps, for either a developer or for a user, is giving it too much credit.

I think the idea of code-once, deploy-everywhere is an appealing one, and certainly something to work toward, but it's idealistic to think that we already live in that world.

If John Chen had come forward with solutions instead of sour grapes and perceived efforts to force an app-bailout, his comments would have been received very differently. If he'd stated that an upcoming BBM update for all platforms had been built using a shared HTML5 base with customized UIs for each platform, and that they'd be rolling out versions for Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu & Jolla Sailfish, as well as a web version, THAT would be putting his money where his mouth is.

If, in addition to that, he'd said:
    We think you'll be very impressed with the new BBM experience provided by HTML5. We want to help give all developers the tools to do the same. We created these tools for internal development, but we're now releasing them, open-source, to encourage HTML5 development for ALL platforms. It's time to let a smartphone OS compete on merit rather than primarily on ecosystem. We think BB10 brings a lot to that fight.
    he would have impressed a lot of people, myself included, and started a genuine conversation that could have, if HTML5 is as good as John Chen seems to think that it is, lead to a new app landscape.

However, he didn't do any of that. He insulted developers and tried to force them to do things that even his own developers aren't willing or able to do.
    Last edited by mornhavon; 02-17-15 at 04:55 PM.
    Tre Lawrence, jmr1015 and JeepBB like this.
    02-17-15 04:41 PM
    This may be a good lesson for you not to assume that the entire world cares about what you care about! Many have pointed out in this thread why Netflix wouldn't want to make a native BB app. You didn't want to believe what you were hearing just because you didn't like the answer!

Going back to what I said in my other post, why blame the loyal BlackBerry fans for BlackBerry's problems just because they didn't seem to support this petition as you or the petitioner expected?
    I don't think you quite caught my point.

02-17-15 05:57 PM
    In the meantime.......

I'm enjoying the Android version I have loaded.

lol.
    I quite enjoy the Android version on my Moto X
    But it would be nice to see a big name Dev cater for bb10

02-17-15 05:59 PM
    Rather than argue over minutia...
    ...then, are you saying if he'd spoken, taking the products, "Netflix", "HTML5", "BB", "Apple", and "Android" out, he would have presented a stronger (albeit crazy-sounding!), more palatable argument?

If so, then see my original position.

Obviously, I won't put words in his mouth. And quite frankly, I don't know how many times he's been down that (similar) path. Maybe he's exhausted. Maybe, he's tired of being diplomatic. Perhaps it's time for a new approach.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 06:20 PM
300 ... 9101112