What would be the best way to petition Blackberry or get Blackberry's attention to make a situational awareness add-on for all cars? Since Blackberry is in the automated car sector and they have all the partners involved in situational awareness, I think this could be possible to say the least.

My idea would be something like Mobileye's discontinued Mobileye 560 situational awareness system which had pedestrian detection, forward collision warning among, and parking spot search among other features but didn't go far enough.

With the rise of very restrictive Vision Zero initiatives across the United States and elsewhere, drivers are losing convenience and roads are losing traffic capacity. Police are over-aggressive, drivers are the piggy bank for local municipalities, etc.

The one hope drivers could have is an add-on system for all cars that would have:

1) Windshield projection of speed, fuel etc. so drivers won't have to look at their instrument cluster.

2) Windshield projection of squares that highlight pedestrians and cyclists ahead so they won't be missed. (Something like those seen in video games that highlight other characters in the surrounding area.)

3) V2V location between others who have this system and automated cars and a system to notify the human drivers of blind spot vehicles.

4) Add-on automatic braking as a standard to avoid rear-end collisions.

5) Anything else that's sensible that adds to the situational awareness factor.

Without this, safety advocate extremists are capitalizing to make an unfriendly environment for drivers - Drivers can win back conveniences through situational awareness and if Blackberry can make that happen then maybe this way Blackberry can become a household name again. It will also spur interest in Blackberry-branded products like TCL's licensed phones etc.

As an auto-enthusiast my hope is that this system would help, more than hurt, driving freedoms.

Please give me some ideas on how we could make this happen, tell me if this interests you, and what ideas you would want to add to such a system:
    03-12-18 12:19 PM
    Great idea.. but wrong angle.

Without this, safety advocate extremists are capitalizing to make an unfriendly environment for drivers - Drivers can win back conveniences through situational awareness and if Blackberry can make that happen then maybe this way Blackberry can become a household name again. It will also spur interest in Blackberry-branded products like TCL's licensed phones etc.
    ^^ Won't happen. Anything even remotely related to this would happen in the QNX space and no one really relates QNX to BlackBerry devices outside of this bubble.
    03-12-18 12:24 PM
    Hi Blaze. Thanks for your reply. So it won't help sell BB-branded phones as a byproduct like I'd like but what's your take on getting the situational awareness system to happen? Would Blackberry be the wrong company to ask? I know they're the software side of things but I think they definitely could embark on it with hardware partners. But how to get their attention is the challenge. Vision Zero is being pushed in New York City where I live and I'm sure those same activists pushing it would also like this idea.
    03-12-18 02:33 PM
    If you really want this to become widespread quickly, the only way to do it is through legislation as mandatory safety features. Otherwise, they will be added to luxury vehicles as part of optional trim packages, and will slowly make their way to mid-market over the next 5 to 10 years.
    03-12-18 05:03 PM
    These types of initiatives (Vision Zero) will certainly influence (and likely have already influenced) current and future car designs and systems - with self-driving cars moving fairly quickly from what are essentially production prototypes today to fully-realized systems in the very near future.

But I would NOT expect to see anyone investing the massive amounts of money it would take to try to implement these things into older cars. It would be too complex and too expensive (remember: anything with remotely this level of integration would require DOT certification and tons of red tape), and frankly, it's far more economical to simply let old cars be replaced by attrition - as already happens - and designing those systems to be integrated from the start in new cars. Sure, that means it will take 20 years for those systems to be "standard" - but the high cost and the difficulty of installation of such a "universal" system into vehicles that are anything but universal means that doing it aftermarket just isn't feasible.

Even if that wasn't true, it would require some significant hardware, and BB is largely out of the hardware business completely - by conscious choice - and the last thing they want to do is get BACK into the retail business and have to deal with the general public again. They aren't good at it and never were, and frankly never wanted to be. BB has always been a business-to-business-focused company, and they're much better at doing that. They also almost certainly don't have the resources for something like this - and unlike something like smartphones, where virtually everyone will buy one every couple of years, relatively few people would buy these, and rarely would they buy another one if they did - such a system would be expected to last the lifetime of the car, or even several cars.

Having said all that, I'm sure BB would be perfectly happy to license QNX to anyone who DOES want to get into that business...
    03-12-18 05:11 PM
    Why? There is no market.

The market is moving towards the self driving car which will have these safety features built in.

Now, maybe they can be powered by QNX, but it won't be as an add on.

The traditional transportation model is changing more rapidly than you think.
    03-12-18 05:13 PM