Yes, that’s true. Well the good news is they got a nice car business out of it when they bought QNX.
    Yeah if they hadn't... I'm not sure where they would be right now. A division of some other company...
    01-20-20 08:48 AM
    I've heard several explanations for Nokia getting left behind, but one thing I'm fairly certain of is that they didn't make enough Verizon and Sprint compatible phones here in the States and we practically forgot they existed. I wasn't paying that much attention to AT&T so I don't know for sure what they had available, and T-Mobile was non-existent in this market back then. From 2000 to 2006 I can't remember anything being sold other than Motorola, Samsung, Sanyo, and Kyocera in my area.
    I have no idea how popular Nokia was in the states, but here in Europe, everyone wanted a Nokia and they were really popular. It's just that they missed their window to transition to smartphones, just as BB did. Hell, when Nokia adopted Windows Phone, they did a lot of advertising as well, but everyone wanted iPhones or the latest Android phones (usually Samsung). The old players were too entrenched in their ways to change and were caught off-guard by the sudden popularity of Android/iOS devices.
    Laura Knotek and John Albert like this.
    01-20-20 09:55 AM
    The only real option would have been to stick with BBOS as they have now and build it’s Enterprise security business phone model on top of it better. That way, employers could decide to pay the monthly premium to control personal usage and the problems it brings.
    Hard to argue that they'd be in worse shape now had they abided this advice. ? Apps aside, quite a few "enterprises" were abandoned and stranded when BBOS was abandoned and stranded. Never understood how they planned to expand market by abandoning LOYAL userbase...?? Didn't work so well. Lol.
    01-20-20 01:03 PM
    Hard to argue that they'd be in worse shape now had they abided this advice. ? Apps aside, quite a few "enterprises" were abandoned and stranded when BBOS was abandoned and stranded. Never understood how they planned to expand market by abandoning LOYAL userbase...?? Didn't work so well. Lol.
    At least they have QNX and cross-platform UEM & other business software.

Hard to imagine they would have got here without the BB10 stink-bomb in the middle.
    01-20-20 01:18 PM
    But lose out on all the apps that many enterprises now depend on. Even working in “old school” industries like I have (banking and then automobile manufacturing) our teams use native apps. It would be silly inefficient to do my job using just a web browser.

And these apps were not possible using the primitive BBOS. In fact, even a modern web browser wasn’t possible.
    True.

Wasn't HTML 5 praised as being the "BB10 Saviour" around here?

I'm using Chrome on my Pixel 4 XL with better HTML 5 support than BlackBerry browser.
    01-20-20 04:43 PM
    True.

I'm using Chrome on my Pixel 4 XL with better HTML 5 support than BlackBerry browser.
    Oh, one of favorite CB debates ever. We love standards, we have hundreds of them.

If you are a making a website today, and you want it to work on phones, there are only two “standards” that matter: does it work on recent versions of Chrome and does it work on recent versions of Mobile Safari.

The standards committees don’t buy or read or post much on their phones. Chrome and Safari users do.
    chain13 likes this.
    01-20-20 04:49 PM
    Oh, one of favorite CB debates ever. We love standards, we have hundreds of them.
    Standards? Or workarounds?

Lots of that around here!
    01-20-20 05:12 PM
    True.

LOL.. that was from "tool not toy" era..
    01-21-20 03:34 AM
    LOL.. that was from "tool not toy" era..
    “WAS” ?!?
    01-21-20 06:51 AM
    “WAS” ?!?
    Still a great "tool"--they make great paperweights!
    01-21-20 06:53 AM
    True.

Hypervisor ™.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-22-20 08:02 AM
    Hypervisor ™.
    Also, "running Android apks on BB 10.2.1 will bring in the masses back to BB".

Those were some great (and delusional) times.
    01-23-20 01:48 AM
    Those were some great (and delusional) times.
    None more than the "I support BB and I buy shares" thread from that time. People were seriously talking about BB10 beating iOS "because QNX". It was hilarious, and frightening.
    Tsepz_GP and JeepBB like this.
    01-23-20 08:15 PM
    None more than the "I support BB and I buy shares" thread from that time. People were seriously talking about BB10 beating iOS "because QNX". It was hilarious, and frightening.
    I think BB10 was on track to beat iOS in 2014, didn't it? It was only dark forces and John Chen who snatched defeat from the jaws if victory!!

;-)

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    01-23-20 08:22 PM
    You should start a thread that lists all of these from back in the day!
    01-23-20 10:07 PM
    The whole thread is there to read. The delusions are staggering.

https://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f.../index101.html

Gleefully buying in at $16/share (it'll hit $75/share in a year!) and going to teach Apple some humility.
    01-24-20 01:09 AM
    You should start a thread that lists all of these from back in the day!
    Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your feed for further updates.
    01-24-20 03:13 AM

Gleefully buying in at $16/share (it'll hit $75/share in a year!) and going to teach Apple some humility.
    Lol, these were days where I would spend some off time when bored reading some of these threads and absolutely hosing myself with laughter
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-25-20 07:37 AM

Old thread from “tool not toy” era..
    01-25-20 01:01 PM

What’s really staggering is how those delusions continue to exist 7 years later for BB10 and even for ways that PKB on BBAndroid could have succeeded “if just” for the same tired arguments....

Nobody seems to accept huge companies failed before and then after BlackBerry exited mobile and can’t acknowledge what Chen and his supportive BOD and institutional shareholders accomplished plus what truly was avoided.
    01-25-20 01:29 PM
    I think BB10 was on track to beat iOS in 2014, didn't it? It was only dark forces and John Chen who snatched defeat from the jaws if victory!!
    BB announced that "one customer has purchased 1M devices" and people went nuts, predicting that BB would be taking over the world, and that huge orders were pouring in "due to the pent-up demand for a real smartphone." Of course, that "one customer" was BB's North American distributor, not an end-user or even a retailer. But Heins was spinning that news as best as he could while he was updating his resume. Some people clung on to that "single sale of 1M devices" like the second coming, though.
    01-25-20 02:30 PM
    What’s really staggering is how those delusions continue to exist 7 years later for BB10 and even for ways that PKB on BBAndroid could have succeeded “if just” for the same tired arguments....

Nobody seems to accept huge companies failed before and then after BlackBerry exited mobile and can’t acknowledge what Chen and his supportive BOD and institutional shareholders accomplished plus what truly was avoided.
    Hey Chuck, just for curiosity.....you speak always about Chen and the BB BOD like your myth....But do/did you have BB shares during Chen leadership? Are you working or did you work within BB? Greetings to Florida!
    01-25-20 02:36 PM
    Hey Chuck, just for curiosity.....you speak always about Chen and the BB BOD like your myth....But do/did you have BB shares during Chen leadership? Are you working or did you work within BB? Greetings to Florida!
    No because the equity position is essentially collared by Fairfax and Prem Watsa due to common shares and preferred debentures structure. In essence, the company was taken over and functions almost like a subsidiary of Fairfax for all intents and purposes.

I’m a longtime stockbroker that had clients trading BlackBerry from late 90s to early 00’s before the patent infringement case. My practice moved into retirement planning and mutual funds or variable annuities held BlackBerry as position into late 00s to early 10s in growth strategies.

Most of those companies, like Berkshire or Fairfax, sold off BlackBerry around BB10 introduction period. Fairfax was part of group that still held BlackBerry shares and launched initial takeover. Since that period, as longtime supporter, I’ve admired what Chen has done saving the company for shareholders that were still holding positions.
    01-25-20 02:52 PM
    BB announced that "one customer has purchased 1M devices" and people went nuts, predicting that BB would be taking over the world, and that huge orders were pouring in "due to the pent-up demand for a real smartphone." Of course, that "one customer" was BB's North American distributor, not an end-user or even a retailer. But Heins was spinning that news as best as he could while he was updating his resume. Some people clung on to that "single sale of 1M devices" like the second coming, though.
    You know I was totally being facetious, right?

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    01-25-20 03:54 PM
    You know I was totally being facetious, right?
    Of course. Hahaha.
    01-26-20 08:38 PM
51 123