Note: I am not sure if there are other threads like this, I did a search but didn't come up with what I was looking for.

I am doing a project for university where I am comparing the current needs of customers in terms of the ever expanding smartphone market vs what is available. So, in terms of a survey, I wanted to ask you, if you were given a chance to project an idea for YOUR perfect smartphone, and here I would say perfect Berry seeing as we all agree that Blackberries are top notch :P, what would it have in terms of form factor, features etc.

I am not looking for anything specific, just any general input would give me a good idea.

Thanks!

- Az
    03-10-09 01:38 PM
    I like the form factor of the 8900, but I wouldn't be disappointed with the size of the bold.

Would like gps, wifi, bluetooth, IR, and 3G

1gb internal storage (just a rough idea, essentially A LOT of internal memory)

Dual microSD slot

Screen like the Bold / Javelin (Both are great for me)

Like media battery life to leading mp3 players (~35-40 hours)

Calendar with abilities to sync with others via wifi / sms / email (not just for BES)

Resistant exterior (not plastic, stronger more durable structure, maybe aluminum)

That's some ideas..
    03-10-09 03:46 PM
    Thanks for your input Speedv1, thats exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for. Now if only more people posted lol...
    03-11-09 08:53 AM
    Calendar with abilities to sync with others via wifi / sms / email (not just for BES)
    While this is not a fix to "sync", I am able to send calendar dates to other BB phones (BIS) with no problems. I found it accidentally recently. I send the calendar date via MMS to another BB. I can also send a contact to another BB user via the "send to messenger" option. But you are correct if we could do all the above with a matter of a few key strokes it would be great.
    Last edited by jrod3055; 03-11-09 at 09:08 AM.
    03-11-09 09:04 AM
    Don't get me started! Too late!

Quad band
    HSDPA
    Large screen (minimum 2.6 inches)
    Touchscreen preferrable - a single icon/button will always be better than a keyboard shortcut
    QWERTY keyboard (can be physical or on screen)
    Bluetooth HID profile for use with wireless keyboards - or come packaged with one that connects to the mini/micro USB port
    Microsoft Office compatible office software with edit facility
    Web browser (Opera and/or Bolt to be on board, but NOT instead of the manufacturer's own - neither are good enough as standalone browsers)
    Download size limits to be set by user
    Push Email - with capacity to handle minimum of 5 email addresses
    Wi-Fi
    3.2 mp camera minimum (to be produced by a firm that knows what they are doing - Kodak, Sony et al)
    TV out would be nice - or a Celio RedFly/Palm Foleo rig
    Today home screen
    Task application that works with the Calendar app (the one software aspect of BB I don't get - Tasks should show on a Today screen IMHO)
    Minimum processor speed of 600mhz
    Operating memory depends on OS - but 128 mb absolute minimum
    Storage memory on board to be minimum of 512 mb, with 10 mb unavailable to both system and user; reason for this? Because I've yet to see a mobile that let you use all the memory without bringing up an alert screen every 5 seconds - if we're not supposed to use it, hide it.
    Expansion via Micro SD - plus a lead/adaptor combo that allows full size SD cards to be used.
    USB host facility - plug in a USB flash key and off you go with that too.

Palm Pre may well offer a lot of the above - but BlackBerry could so easily fulfill the lot too - would like to see RIM bring out a QWERTY keyboard rig along the lines of the RedFly, but minus the screen to keep costs down.
    03-11-09 11:08 AM
    I like the form factor of the 8900, but I wouldn't be disappointed with the size of the bold.

Would like gps, wifi, bluetooth, IR, and 3G

1gb internal storage (just a rough idea, essentially A LOT of internal memory)

Dual microSD slot

Screen like the Bold / Javelin (Both are great for me)

Like media battery life to leading mp3 players (~35-40 hours)

Resistant exterior (not plastic, stronger more durable structure, maybe aluminum)

That's some ideas..
    3G radio + 35-40 hrs. battery + 1gb internal storage = a huge brick of a phone lol
    03-11-09 12:22 PM
    @derekflint wow that's a lot of info lol. Thanks for the input.

I was thinking that the perfect form factor would be a large touchscreen outside and a sliding full keyboard. I believe this is good because we all know touchscreen browsing is where its at. Personally I'm not a big fan of an all touchphone ala storm, iphone because nothing beats punching out on a keyboard so that's my form factor.

Also I was thinking a homescreen that I believe the pre is bringing out, you know with widgets, gadgets that actually update themselves like for example you could have a small widget for your twitter feed and it would update itself as they come in or periodically. I know this can be done through apps but you see by having it on the homescreen, all you have to do is unlock your phone and there you can see it, no need to open apps etc.

of course being a multimedia phone it should be fully compatible with all the major social networking sites like when you take a photo you should be able to upload it to facebook, flickr etc without need for opening other apps. So everything is interweaved with the phone. That'd be a pleasure to use.

More when I can think of that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 07:07 PM
    I'd like it to cook gourmet italian dinners for me. ;-)
    03-12-09 12:32 AM
    I will just love the Blackberry Storm with a Trackball in the middle of the for Keys. That will be my Ultimate Storm.
    03-12-09 12:39 AM
    Mainly need GPS + WiFi + Full Browser
    03-12-09 07:33 AM
    @kirbz: haha, true I am waiting patiently (not) for that phone. However the Palm Pre has some neat tricks too, I was watching the hands on video which Kevin posted about.

@fduverge: Storm + Trackball, hmm interesting. Quick question, now if say the Storm had momentum scroll, would you still need the trackball? Or is that mainly coz you're used to navigating with it/its easier than "thumbing"?
    03-12-09 08:33 AM
    alot of what i want is already listed. 3g, wifi, gps, ir, wireless sync, little bit bigger screen, full qwerty keyboard, decent battery life, the form factor of the 8330, essentially the best of all blackberries combined
    03-12-09 08:36 AM
    Frankly, the N97 looks like a toy version of the HTC TyTN II. Some mobile sites have claimed the Xperia loses out with its four row keyboard, yet they cannot wait for a three row Nokia? In terms of the N series, they peaked with the N95.

The Pre is close, but on a device where all the controls fall under the thumb, switching apps is effortless anyway - plus how much power is being reserved to run the UI? As a visual trackpad which contains the processor and software for a screen and keyboard it makes more sense to have it that way.

Not sure about the sliding keyboard aspect anymore. For one thing, wireless keyboards work very well indeed, and SureType on the Storm has turned out to be far more effective than I had anticipated.

03-12-09 09:32 AM
    @azmanian_devil

Allow me to point you in the direction of Stephen Fry's blog. He wrote a brilliant piece on smartphones back when the iPhone first came out that contains a history lesson and the pros and cons of Windows, Symbian and UIQ, and Palm.

There is also a more recent piece where he looks at the Bold, Storm and G1. Whilst the Storm gets a drubbing, it was actually his comments that helped me make my decision to get a Storm.

03-12-09 09:40 AM
    @derek, haha I do read Stephen Fry's blog. I've got him on twitter. Loved his piece on the smartphones. I don't know whether I can reference his blog officially, but I think I can find a way around it because he had some great points.

I don't think Nokia has peaked with the N95 although its a great phone. That would've been my other choice had I not gotten my Curve. I still think sliders are quite convinient considering you have the entire screen to use without worrying about a digital keyboard. However, I don't think wireless keyboards are convinient, I'd rather not have to worry about carrying it around, sliding it out would be more convinient.

Again, this whole debate/question is opinion based hence why I created the thread to get opinions and so far everyone has presented good arguments.

PS: After reading about the Storm in Stephen Fry's blog where I believe he said "chuck it out of the window" i decided not to get the Storm and get the Curve. Every now and then I feel like going back and giving the Storm a try but the endless rant threads and crying about OS upgrades makes me consider otherwise. How are you finding it personally (be honest, lol)?

I used the in store Storm and I'm sure it was running .75, because it was horribly laggy and difficult to use. Impressive to look at, difficult to use. Which is why I like physical keyboards, they imo are always faster than a digital one. However, touchscreen browsing cannot be beat.
    03-12-09 12:47 PM
    Fry's findings with the Storm seemed to echo what I was beginning to suspect: that the Storm was something that you would have to get used to. I'm not certain if it's because I have the UK version of the Storm or if I'm just lucky, but my Storm works very well indeed; actually it's my favourite device full stop, running .78 at the moment - my first experience was with .65, which was rather sluggish in its reactions, but the feel of the touchscreen won the day, since the other option, the rather attractive Sony Ericsson Xperia, had a rather flimsy feeling screen.

The N95 is a handy little thing, certainly won't be getting rid of mine as it will make a handy backup once I get it unlocked. As for the N96, it looks cheap and the N97 doesn't do much better - the E series contains some nice choices, however.

If time allows, you might want to check out Baselworld 2009 to throw in a bit about opulent smartphones - the Ulysse Hardin Chairman is being unveiled, complete with kinetic rotor for on the move charging - beat that Palm! Check out THE WATCHISMO TIMES for a teaser pic and vague description.

03-12-09 08:45 PM
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm interesting.

Personally I would like a phone with a calendar like AquaCalendar for Symbian/UIQ with the ability to colour code different groups/categories, link contacts to appointments, icons, etc

I miss the SMS picture pop up of my old Sony Ericsson

A better camera.

SMS scheduling.

That's all I can think of at the moment, it is 2am here!

I'll edit if I remember anything else
    03-12-09 09:13 PM
    You know what really impressed me about the Palm? That little magnetic charger thing they showed off in the hands on video that Kevin had posted. It was simple yet so attractive.
    03-13-09 07:57 AM
    You know what really impressed me about the Palm? That little magnetic charger thing they showed off in the hands on video that Kevin had posted. It was simple yet so attractive.
    Nothing but a gimmick - I still want one though!

Seriously, though - it is quite an item, especially handy for a desk, since it angles the device as close to perfect for desk use as you are going to get (cough-bluetooth keyboard-cough). But Palm's eco claptrap about it is ridiculous - it still plugs into the wall.

The only thing about the Palm that I don't like is the keypad - looks outdated, and a bit lonely in that expanse of plastic. Let's face it, the Bold keypad is sexy looking, for a keyboard at any rate.

Here's a question for long term BB owners, how would you feel about a Pearl with SureType keypad that had a slide out full qwerty? Nokia have a phone in the works that looks like the E51 with the numerical pad, that comes with a slide out that looks quite nice.

Mind you, the Nokia with the SureType lookalike pad? U-G-L-Y.
    03-13-09 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD