Like the title states why do people post their pins on random websites so random people could add them? Don't they have friends to add or something? I just don't understand how those people are ok chatting with people they've never seen. And what's the benefit?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-10 09:01 PM
    Mine is on here to help others on this site if they need it. Every one of the people that have added me have been very kind. Its good to talk to people from other parts of the world from time to time. Posting your pin really isn't a big deal. They can't do anything other than message you. If they bother you, then you remove them and block future request...done.

10-27-10 09:10 PM
    Why did you join this site? Was it to learn about BlackBerry? Maybe discuss BlackBerry products with like minded people? Maybe help others with their issues or problems with their BlackBerry?

These random sites you speak of probably aren't as random as you say they are. Just random people who are interested in the same things. Who like meeting new, and different people to discuss things they mutually like.

You're chatting with people you've never seen by just creating this thread. What's the benefit to you? How is this any different? Chatting by PIN is just a little more intimate, you can chat and discuss what you want further with people who have similar views. You're still able to pick and choose who you talk to, and can block/ignore whoever you choose too.

I'm not one to post my PIN places so I get random adds, but I do have a couple people on my BBM list that I've never seen. I've had some very good conversations with them. Will I ever meet them? Probably not, but I like the relationship we have (less then friends, but more than just a random person) because of the discussions we have.

The thing is... People are strange, we all are, there's really no need to try to understand...
    Last edited by ridesno159; 10-27-10 at 09:23 PM.
    10-27-10 09:20 PM
    Like the title states why do people post their pins on random websites so random people could add them? Don't they have friends to add or something? I just don't understand how those people are ok chatting with people they've never seen. And what's the benefit?

This is a big part of the same reason HAM radio was so popular in the past and is still around. You get the opportunity to talk to a lot of interesting people that you wouldn't have had an opportunity to talk with otherwise.

In my case, I have enough friends, but there are times they aren't around and/or awake when I am, as I sometimes work odd shifts.

As was mentioned though, by even participating in this forum, you are talking to the same imaginary type of people you are questioning peoples' motives for talking to.
    10-27-10 09:43 PM

PINS are strictly a Blackberry thing and Crackberry.com is NOT a random website...LOL so I don't think what you are saying even makes any sense. But hey...You ask don't people have friends to add or something? As a matter of fact, I have only 1 friend in real life and 1 in my family who own Blackberries. Therefore, anyone else I talk to on BBM is someone I met strictly on BBM and let me tell you; I'd rather have any ONE of them as family than some of the ones I got...
    10-27-10 09:54 PM
    I have made some great friends posting my PIN on this site and a few others, I've met 9 people from BBM (Met someone tonight!) but have had friendships for well over a year with many that I will probably never meet, it is just like going to chat rooms, or as mentioned above HAM radio, BBM is like meeting someone in a bar and chatting, you don't need to give your real name, you don't need to keep contact later, but you get the options, and when you're bored, delete block and move on. it is wonderful.

much better than sharing an email address with other types of IM clients, or having a profile linked to the client
    10-27-10 10:12 PM
    22BD3493. I need some friends lol none of mine have blackberrys

10-27-10 10:42 PM
    325BC1AF so do I. I dont have any friends or family who own a Blackberry, I'm not even sure i even know how to use it correctly, I did try joining a group from here a few days ago & for a few days it just said waiting for response or something so I just gave up & canceled it
    10-27-10 11:04 PM
    Lol easy guys, first of all I wasn't specific enough to say which websites I thought was random and to stop all this misunderstanding I was not referring to Crackberry.com and do NOT think its a random website. I've been a loyal member for almost a year and loved the fact that everyone here is friendly and helpful. To be honest if I did not know this website had existed, I wouldn't have known as much about my BB as I do today and probably would've blamed it for every problem I've had with it so its been great being a member here. Anyways when I previously said "random websites" I was referring to websites that have nothing to do with blackberry at all. So its not possible that it would be blackberry help related and maybe possible to be friendship. But I guess I have forgotten about the fact that its possible to block future request if you no longer choose receive requests from a specific PIN. So now I know why this is better than giving away your email address to make friendship with strangers lol. And for those of you whose friends do not rock a BB yet, I guess its time to start introducing this great SMARTphone to them eh haha.

Last edited by luqman24; 10-27-10 at 11:51 PM.
    10-27-10 11:45 PM
    The OP sounds like he can't get nobody to trade their pin with 'em. Lol

It's called social networking my friend. Twitter, Facebook, BBM, GTalk, LiveProfile, etc.

And like the other people said, if you don't want to chat with them then delete them and ignore future request.

I have had some ***holes request me. I have also had some good people that I chat with. Since I don't have BBM anymore (hoping to soon change that) I just talk to them on the other services.

Or maybe pin sharing is not your thing. IDK
    10-27-10 11:53 PM
    The OP sounds like he can't get nobody to trade their pin with 'em. Lol

It's called social networking my friend. Twitter, Facebook, BBM, GTalk, LiveProfile, etc.

And like the other people said, if you don't want to chat with them then delete them and ignore future request.

I have had some ***holes request me. I have also had some good people that I chat with. Since I don't have BBM anymore (hoping to soon change that) I just talk to them on the other services.

Or maybe pin sharing is not your thing. IDK
    Lol yes I don't have anyone to exchange it with which is why I started this and chose not to post my pin for any additional luck. Anyways like I said I just forgot the part where you have control over whether to block future request from an ***hole (like you've mentioned) or not. So now that all that pollution that has been clogging up the air has been cleared, yall may carry on what you've been doing

10-28-10 12:53 AM
    I wonder if anybody ever hooked up via bbm

10-28-10 06:48 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f51/cra...ok-ups-154531/

10-28-10 06:53 AM
    I kind of agree, and while I understand the social aspect of it, to me that is the equivilant of walking up to every single person in a crowded mall and introducing yourself. not something I would do, plus having bought used phones, everyone wants a "clean ESN" but no one asks about the PIN.

Me personally, I want to know if the PIN is clean too. Not that it has been smattered all over dating sites, car clubs, random website profiles all over the net and then you continue to get requests over, and over, and over again.. but then again, that's just me..

I do understand the posting of them, some people are very very social and will chat with anyone and enjoy using that feature to meet new people.
    Last edited by ekz13; 10-28-10 at 10:23 AM.
    10-28-10 10:20 AM
    I never really talked on bbm until I moved out of state. I had a few good friends on bbm and still have a couple. But when you live somewhere away from home and don't know many people, its a good way to kill time and at least have some people to chat with. I'm not a loner or a creep. Just like talking/texting. If someone bugs me, I delete and block them. Easy as that. And like others have said, to discuss mutual interests or beliefs.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-28-10 10:36 AM
    I wonder if anybody ever hooked up via bbm

You're joking, right?
    BBM has more hook ups than e-Harmony.
    10-28-10 02:50 PM
    You're joking, right?
    BBM has more hook ups than e-Harmony.
    HAHA! That wouldn't surprise me.
    10-28-10 07:53 PM
    Mutual interests. Ditto.

10-29-10 09:02 PM
    Mutual interests. Ditto.

What if its a guy posing as a hot woman. That would be a scary experience...

10-30-10 02:05 PM
    What if its a guy posing as a hot woman. That would be a scary experience...

I bet that has happened more than once around here. There are probably stories you could read on the social forums threads about such things.
    10-30-10 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD