well.....Americans according to this article, the reason being "the demise of the 2 year contract" in some cases and then having to outright buy the device which is costly.

I'm just glad they killed 3 year plans in Canada and now 2 years if offered.

Americans are keeping their phones longer; new data says U.S. users wait 29-months between upgrades

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-19-16 12:25 AM
    Wish they still had 3 yr terms as the monthly costs doubled when they were cut back to 2. That's why Canadians have to keep their phones longer or they get sucked into new plans because the old deals mysteriously disappeared! It's the carriers way of saying "screw you" when they were forced to lose the last year of all their customers 3 year terms! Basically had to put alot of clients back to zero even if they still owed money on their phones!
    04-19-16 01:01 AM
    Wish they still had 3 yr terms as the monthly costs doubled when they were cut back to 2. That's why Canadians have to keep their phones longer or they get sucked into new plans because the old deals mysteriously disappeared! It's the carriers way of saying "screw you" when they were forced to lose the last year of all their customers 3 year terms! Basically had to put alot of clients back to zero even if they still owed money on their phones!
    I didnt find the phones costing too much more, if any when they went down to 2 year plans BUT the problem for me is I can NEVER get a phone to last even 2 years.

When I was 2.5 years into my 9780 3 year contract the camera died long before that and other problems as well, so I had to buy a used 9790 and it lasted 4 months before it froze, so I sold that for $40. Not to mention batteries starting to fail.

I hate to admit it but the only phone I ever got to last 2 years with no problems is the iphone 5C

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 04-19-16 at 02:13 AM.
    04-19-16 01:09 AM
    I didnt find the phones costing too much more, if any when they went down to 2 year plans BUT the problem for me is I can NEVER get a phone to last even 2 years.

When I was 2.5 years into my 9780 3 year contract the camera died long before that and other problems as well, so I had to buy a used 9790 and it lasted 4 months before it froze, so I sold that for $40. Not to mention batteries starting to fail.

I hate to admit it but the only phone I ever got to last 2 years with no problems is the iphone 5C

Here in Australia, you get warranty for the phone for the duration of the contract.

Buy outright, get one year. Go on a contract, get two years. It's kind of a consumer protection thing... :-)

edit:
    Now, I'm looking for a three year contract... ;-P
    (won't happen!)

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    04-19-16 04:34 PM
    Here in Australia, you get warranty for the phone for the duration of the contract.

Buy outright, get one year. Go on a contract, get two years. It's kind of a consumer protection thing... :-)

edit:
    (won't happen!)

That's pretty good. I think with Rogers you have 2 weeks to return the phone if we do not like it and otherwise it was a 1 year warrenty. When my 9780 Camera failed after 3 months the first time, I just went to a private electronics place and voided my warrenty for a new camera module because they wanted to ship it away for 2 months. The loaner would have been a basic flip, so I said thanks but no thanks
    04-19-16 04:48 PM
    Here in the UK I find its the opposite: we used to have great 12 month and 18 month contracts with free upgrades at the end...
    Now we have to take 2 year contracts as standard. With great new phones being released each year on android and apple it's hard to commit to a device for 2 years

on my Priv
    04-19-16 04:57 PM
    I like what T Mobile is doing with the no contract plans. I have two lines with unlimited data, voice and text for 100 a mounts. This also covers all of North America including Canada and Mexico.

The jump plan is also nice where you can upgrade your device twice a year. You basically lease the device of your choice for between 25-35 dollars a month.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    04-19-16 05:28 PM
    I like what T Mobile is doing with the no contract plans. I have two lines with unlimited data, voice and text for 100 a mounts. This also covers all of North America including Canada and Mexico.

The jump plan is also nice where you can upgrade your device twice a year. You basically lease the device of your choice for between 25-35 dollars a month.
    Ditto. I use all my unlocked BlackBerry's on the same plan. The 7GB/mo mobile Hotspot included is excellent as well. OG Z10 from my AT&T and carrier branded phone days of '13 works better today than when new. For most users there really is no true need to update as frequently as the OEM's or carriers would like. Saturation is real. Apple cut the iPhone 6s production by 1/3 for this quarter. That's telling. And how many, but the diehards, are going to feel the need to upgrade to a 7 from the 6 or 6s? I think the decrease in sales is really going to accelerate this year and next. There's no more innovation. Only refinement on the candy bar touch screens.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    04-19-16 09:49 PM

edit:
    (won't happen!)

•   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   •
    Thats great . Two year contract offers 2 years warranty . Here in UAE if buying the device from Blackberry stores you get 2 year warranty.
    04-20-16 03:46 AM
    actually I recall that right after they went to 2 year plans in Canada, Rogers charged me $80 for the iphone 5C because I still had a few months left in my contract, and we were eligable after 2.5 years into a contract, but my buddy with Telus got the same phone a month later because he liked mine, for $0 on a 2 year contract.

my point: try finding any iphone today with those kinds of prices even on contract! those days are gone. So I think it isnt relative as much to how LONG the contract is but rather the overall cost of the device itself.

BUT......I checked the Rogers website last night and they do have the "new" iphone SE for $99 on a 2 year contract so thats not bad.

04-20-16 01:12 PM
    I think you're correct and for the reasons most have already posted. Innovation has slowed and there is less likely a reason someone will want to upgrade.
    04-20-16 03:30 PM
    Thats great . Two year contract offers 2 years warranty . Here in UAE if buying the device from Blackberry stores you get 2 year warranty.
    That's good. Might bring the dollars... :-D

04-20-16 04:23 PM
    I think you're correct and for the reasons most have already posted. Innovation has slowed and there is less likely a reason someone will want to upgrade.
    Apple is feeling it already.

Most people that want one now have a reasonably powerful smartphone, and technological advancements will be incremental for the next few years, I guess...

I'll be holding on to this Passport, or upgrade to an SE (not the iVariant!) if it gets worn out... :-)

TgeekB and IndianTiwari like this.
    04-20-16 04:26 PM