Hey guys,

Just wanted to share something funny with you guys. Spoke with the IT department today as we have started the bring your own device to work scheme for the company. As I was talking to a few guys in the IT department we were talking about both platforms and the people who use those platforms. Well according to the to the IT department, people who own BlackBerry devices are usually more knowledgeable when it comes to figuring out IT related problems with phones or computers. Most of the IT department are now complaining that the iPhone users are annoying and that they call in for a lot of stupid issues that only require common sense like for example a unplugged ethernet cable.

Again this does not apply to everybody, but it was still funny to hear them say that when BlackBerry users call in for it it's usually because there is serious problem. Obviously this is from their point of view.

What do you guys think? Do you believe that BlackBerry users are more knowledgeable when it comes to tech and trouble shooting than most iPhone users?
    stlabrat and WWBlondieDo like this.
    09-24-13 02:50 PM
    09-24-13 03:05 PM
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to share something funny with you guys. Spoke with the IT department today as we have started the bring your own device to work scheme for the company. As I was talking to a few guys in the IT department we were talking about both platforms and the people who use those platforms. Well according to the to the IT department, people who own BlackBerry devices are usually more knowledgeable when it comes to figuring out IT related problems with phones or computers. Most of the IT department are now complaining that the iPhone users are annoying and that they call in for a lot of stupid issues that only require common sense like for example a unplugged ethernet cable.

Again this does not apply to everybody, but it was still funny to hear them say that when BlackBerry users call in for it it's usually because there is serious problem. Obviously this is from their point of view.

What do you guys think? Do you believe that BlackBerry users are more knowledgeable when it comes to tech and trouble shooting than most iPhone users?
    I have been an IT Administrator for over 17-years. I can absolutely agree with your statements. In my experience, BlackBerry users are much more self-sufficient when it comes to technical issues... bar none!
    pogo007 likes this.
    09-24-13 03:10 PM
    Thanks pkcable, that's an awesome one.

To answer the question: a vast majority of iPhone users are sheep, they buy because it's popular or they are told that they need it. I haven't met many BlackBerry users, but those that I have, they knew a thing or two more about tech. To buy a BB these days, you must make a bit research, since it's not advertised on every corner.
    John Pawling and theRock1975 like this.
    09-24-13 03:12 PM
    Based on the hoops that are required to jump thru to get a BBOS or BB10 device to do many of the things that other platforms can.... I'd agree that only people with some tech savvy are using BlackBerry anymore.

That said most of the really tech savvy people I know that are IT administrator, web designers, or that work in software development. All have "other" devices... I think the really tech savvy people try to avoid devices that are troublesome to deal with in the first place.
    09-24-13 03:24 PM
    All I know is my friends love IOS for its simplicity and ease of integration. They love the iCloud, don't know much about bluetooth, extra memory etc. Apple has done a great job of catering to this niche. I notice a lot of seniors gravitate towards Apple products. Dumbed down technology is how my friends in IT and phone industry describe the IOS ecosystem. BlackBerry has been struggling to find its niche.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    John Pawling likes this.
    09-24-13 03:34 PM
    I do agree with what you say. I do also think that in BB 10 they did a great job in making it easy to use compared to the old OS. I am a little bit against the dumbed down OS concept though. They tend to make people think anything can be done at the click of a button and that they do not have to think before doing anything on the OS, as they think the OS will magically stop them from doing anything wrong. I find a dumbed down OS creates lazy users in which when something goes wrong they immediately need help from a IT guy or Genius.
    09-24-13 03:48 PM
    I think everyone doing a great job for "dumbing down" the techs for not tech savvy people to access contents and do complex things they couldn't have done before. Ofc there will be trouble here and there but the win for everyone still too big. Making technology more accessible and easier for everyone is the mission of every engineer. People will have the tools for them to do what they are good at.
    09-24-13 04:03 PM
    That's probably the case because Apple is always about ease of use and the user experience. Not about trying to figure out stuff. I mean old blackberries had to resend service books, log onto BIS sites to change PINs and email addresses and such. Android and iPhone (especially) didn't have to deal with that. At the end of the day, none of it matters because I know some pretty dumb managers at my job that are assigned blackberries and they know what to do on it but don't know what icloud is or how to sync their gmail contacts with the iphone they use for personal use. There's a saying: Anyone can make something difficult but it's takes someone extraordinary to take something complex, make it easy to use and achieve the same or better results.
    09-24-13 04:35 PM
    I use both an Android and iPhone. I wonder where I fit here LOL. I guess I should mention, I can write complicated VBA and SQL code, build complex databases and solve basic computer problems. Not sure if I'm too smart to use an iPhone.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-24-13 04:36 PM

To answer the question: a vast majority of iPhone users are sheep, they buy because it's popular or they are told that they need it. I haven't met many BlackBerry users, but those that I have, they knew a thing or two more about tech. To buy a BB these days, you must make a bit research, since it's not advertised on every corner.
    When we use stereotypes (especially ones based on such far-reaching silliness), they have the added disadvantage of making us look that much more myopic.
    richardat likes this.
    09-24-13 04:45 PM
    I've met sharp folks on all the major platforms. Sheer numbers dictate I meet more non-BB using smart people though.

PK posted the ever-popular best answer.
    richardat likes this.
    09-24-13 04:49 PM
    Most techs I know want things to just work when they get home. There are a few who really enjoy tinkering with their home Linux server and doing fiddly things on their own time but the majority want to leave that in the office so they can go home and have a beer instead of messing with command lines.

Anecdotes all around.
    09-24-13 05:14 PM
    I use both an Android and iPhone. I wonder where I fit here LOL. I guess I should mention, I can write complicated VBA and SQL code, build complex databases and solve basic computer problems. Not sure if I'm too smart to use an iPhone.
    I use all 4 platforms and I might be trading my playbook for a touchpad so that would be 5!
    09-24-13 05:28 PM
    These stereotypes reveal most about one's own bias. There are many, many, many, more tech savvy people using Apple than BB.....there are also many, many more tech ignorant people using Apple than BB. There are many, many more people using apple than BB.

Having said that, it's likely true that those still on BB know much more about their phones than the average Apple or Android user. They've undoubtedly been on the BB platform much longer on average, and are undoubtedly more dedicated to their platform on average and trying to make it work no matter what. In short, they are the diehards.
    09-24-13 05:52 PM

Unfortunately telling yourself that doesn't make people buy the phones. It also leaves me with a bit of an identity crisis. I have an iPhone as my main phone and a Q10 because I like the keyboard. Except for my email, all of my work productivity tools are on the iPhone. Well, mail is there too actually. I usually sort many emails to my assistant so that she deals with them but when I answer myself I do often use the Q10.

I have a bit of a reputation as a tech savvy person where I work. I have an email signature for my Q10 saying it was sent from a Q10. Right after I started using it someone I sent a message to called and said, "you don't really have a Blackberry do you? That is just a joke in your email signature right?" That is part of BBs problem.

Oh and since we're describing ourselves, I have a PhD in molecular biology and do molecular genetics research. I also do a lot of bioinformatics, although mostly from a management standpoint in fairness. I started using Unix and have continued to some degree since the mid 80s. You are not correct that I need to rely on my iPhone because I can't sort out a BB. I like the iPhone because it does what I want and I don't need to sort much out. I spend enough time sorting out genes and stuff without worrying about my phone.
    richardat and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-24-13 06:15 PM
    Sorry there are no tech savvy people using Ifones. Just look at the apps Ifone users want and use and cry about BB phones not having. Duh!!!!
    09-26-13 03:20 AM
    Amazing how people can judge education level (and personality) of other people based on type of phone they're using.
    Maybe someday, company will require people to mention what phone they're using (or used) in CV, so company can decide whether he is good enough or not for a position.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 03:40 AM
    I touched a Z10 at the store the other day and I swear my IQ must've gone up 30 points. I also felt like answering all the techie questions from customers. Weird.
    09-26-13 03:42 AM
    Sorry to burst your bubble here, but I see just the opposite. Most of the high tech folks I know use Apple MacBook Pro's and iPhone 5's.

My company switched to Apple over 5 years ago and are never going back to PC based gear. We found that Mac is far easier to integrate to our networks and we have far less issues with viruses and most young people are more familiar with Mac OS then the PC.

As far as the iPhone is concerned, Apple has done a great job of integrating the iPhone functionality into the Mac OS and I now have my messaging, calendar, iCloud and other functions right on my desktop.

Go into any Starbucks and look at what the young work professionals are using my friend. MacBooks, IPads and iPhones and they are the movers and shakers in the corporate world today, just like the ones using Blackberrys back in 2006 where.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    09-26-13 03:56 AM
    There are probably two things at play...

1: Blackberries chase away people.
    The old BBOS handsets were notoriously bad when it comes to speed and stability. Users HAD to become technically proficient to fix the bugs, but most people who couldn't bother, switched to an friendlier and stable platform as soon as they had the chance.
    Though BB10 devices are better, they're still not as friendly as the competition, and have a less well thought out UI/UX.

2. There are MANY MORE iPhone and Android users than BB users. Lets imagine a company that has one hundred iPhone user but only ten BB users. If ten percent of both require tech support, the ten iPhone will seem like a flood compared to the one BB user. But the ratio of incompetent people is the same.

In reality, the highly competent and gifted IT individuals are probably MORE likely use iPhones. Most programmers and developers (even non-mobile) use a combination of MacBook and iPhone. Heck, even most of the IT infrastructure people i see, usually use a MacBook and iPhone. Except for the few hardcore Android types who go for a MacBook and an Android phone.
    09-26-13 06:39 AM
    I do agree with what you say. I do also think that in BB 10 they did a great job in making it easy to use compared to the old OS. I am a little bit against the dumbed down OS concept though. They tend to make people think anything can be done at the click of a button and that they do not have to think before doing anything on the OS, as they think the OS will magically stop them from doing anything wrong. I find a dumbed down OS creates lazy users in which when something goes wrong they immediately need help from a IT guy or Genius.
    For most busy users, like moms with kids in multiple activities, the want a device that does most things for them. Plug it into iTunes an everything is there. Click on iCloud and u r done. Click on home sharing and all devices will speak to each other. Stable platform on Mac compared to windows laptops . Most casual users will not take the time to side load, use a US cable, etc. Having said that, I love my BB10. Happy medium between the IOS and Android ecosystem.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    09-26-13 07:15 AM
    Sorry there are no tech savvy people using Ifones. Just look at the apps Ifone users want and use and cry about BB phones not having. Duh!!!!
    OK, and then spend a few minutes here looking at the number of threads from people screaming about how they want those same apps for BlackBerry. Instagram as an example:
    Attached Thumbnails People with BlackBerry's are more tech savvy?-ig01.jpg   People with BlackBerry's are more tech savvy?-ig02.jpg   People with BlackBerry's are more tech savvy?-ig03.jpg  
    09-26-13 09:27 AM
    Sorry to burst your bubble here, but I see just the opposite. Most of the high tech folks I know use Apple MacBook Pro's and iPhone 5's.

My company switched to Apple over 5 years ago and are never going back to PC based gear. We found that Mac is far easier to integrate to our networks and we have far less issues with viruses and most young people are more familiar with Mac OS then the PC.

As far as the iPhone is concerned, Apple has done a great job of integrating the iPhone functionality into the Mac OS and I now have my messaging, calendar, iCloud and other functions right on my desktop.

Go into any Starbucks and look at what the young work professionals are using my friend. MacBooks, IPads and iPhones and they are the movers and shakers in the corporate world today, just like the ones using Blackberrys back in 2006 where.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    That depends on the field.... Design? audio? I've worked for many companies... they always use PCs and servers... Not sure where you from, but if you worked /visited wall st hedge funds,banks, or corporate... all of them are using WINDOWS... On the other side, if you visit an interior design firm- you will see the mac support around there...
    09-26-13 09:36 AM
    What do you expect from a generation who grew up with Picture books? A picture is a thousand word or in a lot of case like picture book one word. Train... say it Train. Apple... Aaaaapppllleee.

It's how we grow up. Why type a whole letter when you can share a picture on Instagram?
    09-26-13 09:38 AM
29 12