"Penny wise, pound foolish"

This phrase, I think, represents RIM right now.

1. It was mentioned a month or more ago that the "folks at the top" were not happy that so many QNX resources were being used for the PlayBook. They corrected that.

2. They laid off over 2000 people even though they still have 3 billion in the bank
    and their bottom line is solid, decreasing but solid.

Thus we are now seeing further delays on getting the PB up to the level it should of been when released.

It's not like RIM is adding "bonus" items to the PB but rather basic items found on even the cheapest notebook and most of the tablets.

Right now the PB is only really useful to people that have a BB phone. With RIMs BB phone market share dropping like a rock, the sales of the PB will continue to get worse.

"The operation (cutting 2000 jobs) was a success but the patient died" also seems to apply.

RIM has never really indicated, that I know of, where all these fired people were working, but a 10 percent cut in staffing has had to hurt things for the PB.

Again, it's the two at the top causing most if not all the problems within RIM. The stock holders see this, the press sees this and the only ones not seeing this are Mike and Jim.

With the stock market in a free fall, the economies around the world in big trouble combined with the poor performance of RIM I do not see a bright future for them in the near term or even next year. QNX will be late, it will not have many applications for it and if they release it like they did the PB it will be incomplete.

I was of the mind to skip the new OS7 phones as I wanted a QNX phone, but with the history of how RIM has handled QNX with the PB, the reduction in work force within RIM, the fact that both Jim and Mike are still the top dogs and the way the worlds economy is going I think I will go with a OS7 phone as I think it will be sometime before the QNX based phones become fully useful.

Just my humble opinion...

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 08-03-11 at 11:43 AM.
    08-03-11 11:40 AM
    You do realize that the "huge" cuts just bring them back to their employee count of February this year right? They realized they were growing too much and had become bloated. They "trimmed the fat" and got rid of unnecessary people and are attempting to become a leaner, more focused company.

What rationale do you have in saying that "the two at the top [are] causing most if not all the problems within RIM"
    08-03-11 12:15 PM
    You do realize that the "huge" cuts just bring them back to their employee count of February this year right? They realized they were growing too much and had become bloated. They "trimmed the fat" and got rid of unnecessary people and are attempting to become a leaner, more focused company.

What rationale do you have in saying that "the two at the top [are] causing most if not all the problems within RIM"
    "Huge cuts" cause issues in an organization that take months to recover from.
    Again, RIM has not said, nor have I heard from what departments these cuts were made, but it does seem more than odd that the cuts were made and now almost everything for the PB has been pushed back, if not pushed back more then once.
    Meanwhile they open plants in other countries and have 3 billion in the bank.
    I am sure the 2000 folks let go would of loved to continue working for RIM building the phones. It's better then being jobless.

As for the rationale about Jim and Mike simply look at the big mis-steps in producing competitive products, the drop in RIMs stock price, the continuing
    bad roll out of the PB, the delays in almost every area of RIMs product line, the walking out of interviews, the denying of what they said about native email at the shareholders meeting, the loss of department heads, the failed first attempt at selling a BB product (PB) in a retail setting, the issues with App world and new apps, the open letters that have come from within RIM, the silence from RIM and the lack of true customer relations.

Some may say "they are cleaning house and thats good", but they built the house in the first place!
    They only reacted when heat was put on them and not out of being true leaders or innovators. They only moved when there a$$ was threatened.

The CEO(s) of any company is responsible for said companies performance.
    The fact that shareholders want to remove the CEO position from the
    chairman position supports my position. Simply read the many many articles about this.

Again, this is my observations about RIM, its performance, its leadership and how
    it has not performed and continues to create more bad news then good.

Simply look at the fact the one phone (IPhone), alone, is kicking all the BB phones sales combined and I do not see the OS7 phones doing anything to change that nor should anyone expect it to.

Do I think RIM is going under? Not yet.
    Can they come back? They can but not with the current leaderships mindset.
    Do I like Blackberries? Yes. No Droid for me.
    Am I a RIM hater? No.
    Do you think RIM needs a switft kick in the a$$? Oh yea! More then one.

The whole end point is that I changed my mind about waiting for the QNX phones
    to replace my 9650. I just feel that RIMs past/current record with the PB and its other many mis-steps show that I and many others will be waiting for something (QNX phones) that is still 1.5 to 2 years of from being truly useful, with applications and a completed, useful OS.

I also enjoyed how you challenged my comments without attacking, thank you.
    I like good solid conversation as it makes me think. I am not always right and do change my mind from time to time, but in this case it seems to have solidified my thoughts even more.

Tim
    08-03-11 01:51 PM
    Enjoyed your post and reply Tim, thanks. Dean

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 02:04 PM
    One thing I want to throw into the mix is BB forage into the European pre paid market.
    Older style BBs are being sold on the pre paid European market with a data plan included in the price. Its perfect for school kids and teenagers whose parents need to keep in touch as well as keeping costs down. They may run out of credit to phone but Facebook and BBM still work. Most of the data plans are only for 6 months and the old style phones will be so far out of date by the end of the first year I doubt many parents will continue toping them up. This might have a drastic impact on RIMs profits in the next year or 2 as phones end up in the top draw or bin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 02:30 PM
    "Huge cuts" cause issues in an organization that take months to recover from.
    Again, RIM has not said, nor have I heard from what departments these cuts were made, but it does seem more than odd that the cuts were made and now almost everything for the PB has been pushed back, if not pushed back more then once.
    Meanwhile they open plants in other countries and have 3 billion in the bank.
    I am sure the 2000 folks let go would of loved to continue working for RIM building the phones. It's better then being jobless.
    As I said, the "huge" cuts only put them back to the head count they had in February of this year, hardly the earth-shattering layoffs reported by the media.

As for the rationale about Jim and Mike simply look at the big mis-steps in producing competitive products, the drop in RIMs stock price, the continuing
    bad roll out of the PB, the delays in almost every area of RIMs product line, the walking out of interviews, the denying of what they said about native email at the shareholders meeting, the loss of department heads, the failed first attempt at selling a BB product (PB) in a retail setting, the issues with App world and new apps, the open letters that have come from within RIM, the silence from RIM and the lack of true customer relations.
    All of this can be said to be being worked on by M&J by the cutting of 2000 employees and the reshuffling of management. Without actually working with Mike and Jim or finding out exactly who was fired and what they did, there is absolutely no way to tell, and anything in regards to this will be speculation

The CEO(s) of any company is responsible for said companies performance.
    The fact that shareholders want to remove the CEO position from the
    chairman position supports my position. Simply read the many many articles about this.
    Correct me if I am wrong, which I very well may be since I'm not too knowledgeable in this, but if the majority of shareholders wanted M&J gone, would they not be? Isn't this how publicly traded companies work?

Do you think RIM needs a switft kick in the a$$? Oh yea! More then one.
    Agreed, but with the current management.
    08-03-11 02:43 PM
    Another thing is how RIM is poised to be looked at in a more favourable light for two reasons:

1) RIM has by far the best security compared to any other smartphone maker, and "hacking" and other security related issues are starting to come into the light as being a significant threat to even everyday consumers.

2) Many carriers are starting to shy away from "unlimited" data plans, and area starting to go towards tiered plans. This could make BBs amazing data compression ability invaluable to normal people who are more than ever looking at ways to cut down expenses.

(my opinion)
    08-03-11 02:48 PM
    You're entitled to your opinion but personally I don't buy this spin for a second. I have worked for companies that have made similar cuts, once I survived the cuts, another time I didn't. In both cases they were not "cutting the fat" as you put it. Upper management was deciding they had to cut x percent of the workforce and sent a memo to middle-management. Middle-management passed it down the chain and the cuts were made on the floor, you know, where the real work actually gets done. I have never seen a company where the VPs meet and decide they have too many VPs.

As soon as the cuts started at RIM, we had a couple of people here in the forum who said they worked for RIM and were let go. One of them was testing updates to the PlayBook.
    08-03-11 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD