So let me start out by saying how much I adore my pearl. I love the style, size, and the suretype feature.

That being said, I am honestly getting sick of having to constantly check my memoury status to make sure my call log and messages don't get deleted without warning. I use my phone primarily for my job, therefore I need my messages and call log.

The curve does not seem to have this memoury leak problem. Is it worth it to upgrade to the curve to avoid this issue? Your opinions are appreciated!!

Also.... Am I the only one who is disappointed in the performance of Pittsburgh tonight!?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-08 12:08 AM
    I haven't had any memory issues. Hope someone has an answer for you.
    06-05-08 12:22 AM
    jenay, have you done the optimize. That makes a huge difference.

My Curve is sitting on about 30mb with 14 apps and 2 themes. My Pearl is at about 29mb with 10 and 2
    06-05-08 12:25 AM
    Honestly Jenay, as much as I adored my Pearl, going to the 8330 was a huge step. I am no longer worried about constantly checking my memory, after optimize I have 50 Mb free. That is with 6 themes now, Weatherbug, Viigo, Crackberry, Beyond411, Google Maps, Opera, Guitar Hero 3, Chuzzle, Pac Man, Pro Bowling, Soft Reset (just in case)....

The extra memory is awesome. My 8130 ran with 17 Mb free, and I didn't have half the stuff on it I have now.
    06-05-08 12:43 AM
    Honestly Jenay, as much as I adored my Pearl, going to the 8330 was a huge step. I am no longer worried about constantly checking my memory, after optimize I have 50 Mb free. That is with 6 themes now, Weatherbug, Viigo, Crackberry, Beyond411, Google Maps, Opera, Guitar Hero 3, Chuzzle, Pac Man, Pro Bowling, Soft Reset (just in case)....

The extra memory is awesome. My 8130 ran with 17 Mb free, and I didn't have half the stuff on it I have now.
    8330. Alas renneebob, you've wounded me deep. I am so jealous.
    06-05-08 12:46 AM
    LOL, sorry.

EDIT

I suppose between the extra memory and not having to dink around with a beta to get video recording, we 8330 people are spoiled.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-05-08 at 12:50 AM.
    06-05-08 12:47 AM
    Sorry for the temporary thread jack, but I just realized I crossed 1000
    06-05-08 12:50 AM
    I never had a memory problem with my old 8100 and when I broke it and got a 8320 I had the memory leak right away (took too many pics!)
    I love my curve though, and thats how i found cb if you know what i mean!
    Congrats amazingly graceless

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kickinitlive247; 06-05-08 at 01:08 AM.
    06-05-08 12:53 AM
    LOL, sorry.

EDIT

I suppose between the extra memory and not having to dink around with a beta to get video recording, we 8330 people are spoiled.
    Now you see that's just salt in the wound.
    06-05-08 12:55 AM
    I'm a bit disappointed with the memory leak (I've never owned a phone before that required "maintenance"). I did the memory optimize and right now I'm sitting at about 20mb free. I do a soft reset every few days and haven't had any disappearing logs or messages since. It got a lot better after I removed Viigo. I'm not sure if the Curve doesn't suffer from this problem, or it's just not as prevalent due to having more on board memory (Curve owners care to enlighten us?).

All that being said, I still love the Pearl for it's dumb phone-like size and Blackberry features. I've gotten to the point where I don't worry about the memory leak too much as I out of habit do a reset every 2-4 days. I'm hoping RIM will fix this issue in the next OS update, then we won't have to worry about it at all.

Too bad for Pittsburgh tonight, I was really hoping those guys would pull it off cause that team will probably look different next year. Oh well, next year we'll see my Canucks take a serious run at the Stanley Cup .
    06-05-08 01:23 AM
    I'm a bit disappointed with the memory leak (I've never owned a phone before that required "maintenance"). I did the memory optimize and right now I'm sitting at about 20mb free. I do a soft reset every few days and haven't had any disappearing logs or messages since. It got a lot better after I removed Viigo. I'm not sure if the Curve doesn't suffer from this problem, or it's just not as prevalent due to having more on board memory (Curve owners care to enlighten us?).

All that being said, I still love the Pearl for it's dumb phone-like size and Blackberry features. I've gotten to the point where I don't worry about the memory leak too much as I out of habit do a reset every 2-4 days. I'm hoping RIM will fix this issue in the next OS update, then we won't have to worry about it at all.

Too bad for Pittsburgh tonight, I was really hoping those guys would pull it off cause that team will probably look different next year. Oh well, next year we'll see my Canucks take a serious run at the Stanley Cup .

I loved Viigo, but I couldn't have it on my Pearl, it was too big a drain. The 8330 comes with 96 MB so now it's really not an issue any longer. I started today with 49 Mb free, and at the end without any deletions or resets I had 47 Mb free. I don't know if the 4.3 OS is better equipped than the 4.2 though...I have only ever had the 4.3 as that is what the CDMA's at Bell ship with.

I felt badly for the Pen's because I hate the Wings more. However the Sens lover in me is smirking at the dream team falling so short. /bitterness
    06-05-08 01:49 AM
    Yes, I have optimized, I clear very old unneeded txts out constantly, I close my programs down properly, I do battery pulls, I keep my internet cache cleared.... I'm a good girl when it comes to those things.

BUT - Why should I have to constantly do this? It's a pain in the.. well, ya know...
    06-05-08 11:04 AM
    So I was just doing spec comparisons between the 8830WE and the Curve. How is it that the Curve has 80MB Built in Memoury and the WE only has 64MB, the same as the Pearl?????
    06-05-08 12:34 PM
    Jenay, what was your free file count after you optimized? Did you delete the preloade pictures? I was at 19 free file before i optimized my Berry. I removed the majority of the applications i did not need right from my Berry. Then i followed Stoners thread on how to increase free file and the only things i really deleted were preloaded pictures and PTT(push to talk) and i was sitting right at 25 free file. I have heard other people on the forum with Pearls say they had optimized and only got near 20 free file. My roommate and I did the optimization together(he has a 8130 as well) and achieved the same amount of free file memory. Try Stoners thread, he really make it easy to follow, and is the best way too go(my opinion) let me know what happens...
    06-05-08 01:29 PM
    So I was just doing spec comparisons between the 8830WE and the Curve. How is it that the Curve has 80MB Built in Memoury and the WE only has 64MB, the same as the Pearl?????
    Both the Curve and Pearl were built with 64 Mb, they use exactly the same computer chip and memory package.

The latest generation of Curves have more memory, I guess the geeks realized users would not accept ongoing memory problems.

The magic number is 12 Mb, that is the minimum setting for reserved device memory. As long as you have headroom, you should not be having memory related problems.

Of course, your Pearl will use memory for it's normal operation and the headroom will narrow.

Thank you for the vote of confidance SD, it has been a community project and getting closer to ideal with every revision.
    06-05-08 01:45 PM
    SD, Stoner - Thanks for the replies.
    I have cleared out all I can figure out how to.... and I can never seem to keep my phone above 15000000. Right now I'm sitting at 10390452 ... Time for a battery pull. ONCE AGAIN.

Which brings me to my original question... Would it not be worth spending the $150 to never have to worry about this issue?
    06-05-08 01:51 PM
    Tough call, I presume you are looking at an 8330 with 96 Mb. So far, nobody is complaining about memory issues.

15 Mb is respectable, but I would suspect there are still a few big files that could be removed.

I would be pleased to help out and perhaps discover a few more Pearl specific tips.

If you are interested, I would like to see the contents of your OS build directory. It is a little tricky, but I will give you the directions for listing it and posting the listing here.

Edit: I have just discovered Windows Vista has disabled the trick we have been using since day one with MS DOS.

It will still work if you are using Windows XP or any of the earlier versions.

Now I have a challenge, how to create a directory listing in a text file on Vista?
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-05-08 at 02:17 PM.
    06-05-08 01:57 PM
    Yes, that is exactly what I am looking at. Although, the spec said 80MB.. ??

Anyhow, I would gladly accept any help you would be willing to give, for sure!! Just let me know what I need to do.

Thank you thank you thank you!!
    06-05-08 02:45 PM
    I double checked the 8830 spec and it is 64 Mb too.

The only big 'berry is the 8330, for now.

Bold will make memory limitations a thing of the past if it ships with 1000 Mb.

Were you able to complete steps 1 through 3 in my guide? That was the most challenging step, but critical to full OS control.

Assuming you were and have left all the files intact, and you are using Windows XP, open a Command window. Start / Run / type in Command.

A black and white window should open with a flashing cursor at the end of the last line.

Type in these commands:

cd \
    cd program files
    cd common files
    cd research in motion
    cd shared
    cd loader files

If you make any typing errors you will get a snotty "System can not find ..." message. Try it again.

At this point, type dir

You should see something like 81xx-v4.2.x.xxx_Px.x.x

That is your device OS directory.

Type cd "device directory" (the actual name as it appears above)
    cd java

dir /s > c:\pearl.txt

You are creating a list of your OS files and saving it in a simple file format. There is no personal information about you in these files.

Next step, post a reply here but use "Go Advanced"

Additional Options has a Manage Attachments button, that open window where you can either type c:\pearl.txt or use the Browse button to navigate to Computer drive C:

If you find this intimidating, have pity on us old timers for having to learn all that stuff just to make a computer run.
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-05-08 at 07:02 PM.
    06-05-08 03:31 PM
    Thanks again for your help, Stoner.

I will get on that ASAP. I actually do quite a bit of programming for my job, so I think I should be able to get that all figured out. I am at work at the moment so I don't really have time to sit and do that, but I will get it posted as soon as I get a free moment.

Thanks!!!
    06-05-08 04:07 PM
    Let us know Jenay. We will help you get your Berry running tip top. I was a little intimidated when I read how to optimize my berry, but I took my time and followed closely, and before i knew it i was done. BTW, I am not very computer savvy, and i was able to do it...Good Luck and let us know if you need help...
    06-05-08 04:17 PM
    how to create a directory listing in a text file on Vista?
    Directory Lister Pro - Create HTML, text or CSV directory listings from any drive or network share.

Create and print listings of files from selected directories on hard disks, cd-roms, dvd-roms, floppys, usb storages and network shares. The listing can be in HTML, text or CSV format. You can print standard information like file name, extension, type, owner and attributes as well as EXE, DLL, OCX information like file version, description, company, MP3, DOC, XLS, PPT, AVI, WAV properties like track, title, album, FPS and CRC32, MD5, SHA1 hashes. ... $20
    $20 and megbyte download, just to get around Vistas ring zero access denial.
    06-05-08 04:52 PM
    SD - Thank you!! Hopefully this will help all the stupid little memoury issues I am having!
    06-05-08 05:00 PM
    I don't know why but the CDMA Curves shipped with more memory than the 8830 or the 8130. I blame the release dates, the Curves were the last to arrive.
    06-05-08 06:41 PM
    SD, Stoner - Thanks for the replies.
    I have cleared out all I can figure out how to.... and I can never seem to keep my phone above 15000000. Right now I'm sitting at 10390452 ... Time for a battery pull. ONCE AGAIN.

Which brings me to my original question... Would it not be worth spending the $150 to never have to worry about this issue?
    From me to you, yes.

I don't regret not having to check my memory at all anymore. I miss my Pearl but the memory thing has got to be fixed.
    06-05-08 06:48 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD