hey guys, I did a search because I saw people mentioning that this type of app is built into the BB OS...

Is this true? If so how would I open .PDF and .DOC files on my BB?

If not true, do you guys/gals know of a free app that can open these types of files?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
    04-05-08 06:02 PM
    Open the e-mail and then from the menu select open attachment. It is not good though. I use dochawk a subscription based service that works well.
    04-05-08 06:11 PM
    or mobipocket reader
    04-05-08 06:45 PM
    It's weird, but my 8820 seems to have the ability now when it didn't before.

Not sure how, but it can open pdf's no problem now. But reading them is a bit of a pain as scrolling horizontally seems difficult.
    04-05-08 07:43 PM
    I always thought the BB had a native pdf viewer. But yeah, it's frustrating, if you navigate away from the pdf, you gonna open it and find your page again. Hooray
    04-05-08 08:05 PM
    Hey thanks for the replies everyone. Im talking about if I put a few PDF's on my memory card, how can I access them to read them? Do I need special software??

Also is the Mobipocket reader that aizecarla mentioned free?

Thanks!

jim
    04-05-08 08:19 PM
    yes its free. just google it
    04-05-08 08:57 PM
    you rock!

Thanks!

Jim
    04-05-08 11:15 PM
    Does MobiReader DEFINITELY read PDF's, or only ebooks?

I put several PDF's in the ebooks folder on my Memory card, and the application still says "No Books".

Are there any limitations on the types/sizes of PDF's which can be read? Anyone have any tricks or tips for me to get the application to recognize my PDF's. I am running Mobireader 6.0
    05-04-08 04:54 PM
    Does MobiReader DEFINITELY read PDF's, or only ebooks?

I put several PDF's in the ebooks folder on my Memory card, and the application still says "No Books".

Are there any limitations on the types/sizes of PDF's which can be read? Anyone have any tricks or tips for me to get the application to recognize my PDF's. I am running Mobireader 6.0
    I use Mobipocket Reader and haven't had any problems adding Word documents and PDFs to my ebooks.

How are you adding the PDFs to the ebooks folder on your memory card?

I connect my BB to my PC through the USB connection and then open Mobipocket Reader on my PC. I click the "Import" tab, choose what I want to add (eg, Office document, PDF), browse for it on my computer, and then double-click the document. It opens on my PC within Mobipocket Reader and then I click the "Send" tab. From there I choose RIM BlackBerry and it's added to the list of ebooks on my 8830. Then I can open it directly on the BlackBerry.

The only thing I can't seem to do is name the file what I want. I may name it, but Mobipocket Reader seems to choose its own name for the document in my ebook list.
    05-04-08 05:21 PM
    The only thing I can't seem to do is name the file what I want. I may name it, but Mobipocket Reader seems to choose its own name for the document in my ebook list.
    I thought it just didn't like me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-08 09:27 PM
    or mobipocket reader
    I downloaded Mobipocket onto to my 8330. How do I set that software as the viewer for pdf's?

When I open my pdf attachemnts in my emails I still can't view them.

Thanks.
    05-20-08 03:29 PM
    I don't know what you guys are seeing but MobiPocket reader didn't open any of my PDFs nor DOC files as in MS Word.
    06-06-08 08:24 PM
    i agree with the man above having the same trouble when someone emails me i cant view the doc or .wps files
    08-01-08 08:02 PM
    Do you have the Blackberry Attachment Service installed on your device? Check the App Loader in Desktop Manager and make sure it is installed. Blackberry Attachment Service gives both BES and BIS users the ability to open and view email attachments in the following formats: doc, xls, ppt, wordperfect, pdf, ascii, html, jpg, bmp, gif, png, and tiff, and the zip'd versions of these.
    08-01-08 08:06 PM
    Let's get some things straight. The Blackberry is the WORST for business documents. At this late stage there is FINALLY a native office viewer in Documents to Go which works ONLY with OS 4.5 if you can get it for your phone. The PDF viewers are not native. This means that if you do business of any kind, chances are 75% of your documents will be practically illegible because the viewer only takes a doc in low resolution and magnifies it. Any financials, smaller font or images are worthless. It's difficult to even read plain text PDFs AND you must download them. If you're out of range of air you're out of luck - so forget about access if you're underground or on vacation away from a tower.
    08-22-08 10:58 AM
    Let's get some things straight. The Blackberry is the WORST for business documents. At this late stage there is FINALLY a native office viewer in Documents to Go which works ONLY with OS 4.5 if you can get it for your phone. The PDF viewers are not native. This means that if you do business of any kind, chances are 75% of your documents will be practically illegible because the viewer only takes a doc in low resolution and magnifies it. Any financials, smaller font or images are worthless. It's difficult to even read plain text PDFs AND you must download them. If you're out of range of air you're out of luck - so forget about access if you're underground or on vacation away from a tower.
    I have to agree with this poster. I used to have a Treo 650 and with Documents to Go I was able to view and edit my documents. However, the Palm OS was so unstable, that ability didn't outweigh the problems.

I switched to a BB (8830) and have been very happy with it---except for the inability to really view and edit documents. I thought I had done my homework before switching to the BB, but I guess I forgot to check about its ability to work with documents. I also "assumed" that as the BB is more business-oriented, that ability was a given. As a freelance medical editor, I really need to view and edit documents when I'm away from my office, and I only have myself to blame for not realizing that the BB didn't really have these abilities.

I've tried some of the 3rd-party programs, but I didn't like any of them; I missed Documents to Go and couldn't believe that it wasn't available for BB. I can download documents from e-mails, but I can't do anything with them.

I understand Documents to Go may be available for me at some point, but only if and when OS 4.5 is available for my Verizon BB 8830 (I won't use a beta OS).

Again, I realize that I have no one to blame but myself, but I do agree with slinky about BB being way behind the times regarding document handling. As far as OS stability, e-mail, and most other functions, the BB has the Treo beat, at least IMO.
    08-22-08 02:25 PM
    For pdf's you can use RepliGo Reader. It's still on Beta testing. Check out this link. It's a really good application.

RepliGo Reader for BlackBerry - Native PDF Viewing - Beta
    08-22-08 03:11 PM
    I am just so confused why there is no native reader for the BB. Why is it all these services have to store your file remotely and then they upload pictures to you. Seems like it shouldn't have to be this way.

Does anyone know if Adobe is working on an Acrobat for BB?
    08-22-08 04:50 PM
    Yeah it sucks considering it's a smart phone and a blackberry. I remember for the palm treo, it came with documents to go and then there was also a free program to view pdf files.

Hopefully this replico Reader doesn't turn out to be expensive once it's released from beta.
    08-22-08 07:39 PM
    I personally can edit and email .doc documents on my Bold..
    11-17-08 04:58 AM
    The DOcs to go with the 4.5 OS is OK but you need a PDF reader. I am trying the free Beamreader. So far it's ok and the price is right. If my need was greater I would just buy Docs to Go Premium.
    11-17-08 08:12 AM
    If this app is still beta (which it may not be now by the time I found this thread) why Are they charging for it? Its also not ota which I consider annoying because I don't have the time to connect to a computer, etc. I guess I'm so used to my bb doing everything right now, but I have an important work doc I need to read asap and I can't do anything about it (its a pdf).I'm just annoyed. Sorry for the rant! Lol

04-14-09 05:43 AM
    If this app is still beta (which it may not be now by the time I found this thread) why Are they charging for it? Its also not ota which I consider annoying because I don't have the time to connect to a computer, etc. I guess I'm so used to my bb doing everything right now, but I have an important work doc I need to read asap and I can't do anything about it (its a pdf).I'm just annoyed. Sorry for the rant! Lol

Repligo Reader is no longer in Beta testing. Many of the previoius posts in this thread are from last year.

Repligo Reader (PDF):
    OTA: http://m.cerience.com/reader/450/RepliGoReader.jad

Beam Reader (PDF):
    Download: BeamReader - Download

Documents To Go:
    The Premium version has a PDF viewer
    Website: Documents To Go - Use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Other Files on your Smartphone or PDA
    OTA: http://download.dataviz.com/document...umentstogo.jad

eOffice (for those w/out OS 4.5):
    04-14-09 08:57 AM
    I noticed that you have to pay for all of these. Are there any Free PDF viewers?
    04-14-09 09:39 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD