Hello,

This is a somewhat trivial problem with a very easy workaround but is still very annoying.

My computer will not boot if my BlackBerry is connected with the USB. I have an external hard drive that this also occurs with. In order to restart my computer I have to unplug my external hard drive and/or my BlackBerry in order to get my computer to boot. So in order to get around this I simply unplug both before I restart my computer. This is effective 90% of the time when I remember to do so. The other 10% of the time I tend to get angry and say mean things to whomever or whatever may be in vicinity.

So in order to save my cat, girlfriend and appliances from verbal abuse you must help me!
    04-17-09 01:44 AM
    i would use a post-it on the monitor to remind you.. thats about the only thing that can be done
    04-17-09 03:08 AM
    have you try to enter in your PC Bios to change the bootup sequence?
    04-17-09 03:11 AM
    I had a Power Spec PC from Micro Center that did the same thing and would freeze on the splash screen every time I re-booted, I tried many workarounds with this and it was never resolved.

It seems like the only time this occured was when an external drive or even a printer with built in card reader was attached - very fustrating as I had be a contortionist to unhook the cable to the device.

I talked to a few IT guys at my work and they were never able to give me a solid solution to this, and I think I am pretty comfortable in digging around on my PC's

The mother board on that device was manufactured my Micro Star, just curious if you are using the same brand.

I no longer use this machine as my main desktop and it has since had a copy of vista put on it and this makes me want to try to hook a drive of some sort to see if it remains the same in regards to hanging up on boot.

I will let you know................ Vista vs. XP Hmmmm?
    04-17-09 05:46 AM
    I've noticed that my computer will do the same thing if I reboot with my iPod still plugged in. It's like it's trying to boot off the iPod instead of the computer itself. Really strange.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 07:10 AM
    I don't think there is a work around. Your PC does drive checks at boot up. However the BB is not a true drive. The hardware and firmware tell Windows it is a drive. If Windows is not up yet it can't be fooled into thinking it is a drive. Before boot up the drivers aren't loaded either.
    04-17-09 07:40 AM
    I don't think there is a work around. Your PC does drive checks at boot up. However the BB is not a true drive. The hardware and firmware tell Windows it is a drive. If Windows is not up yet it can't be fooled into thinking it is a drive. Before boot up the drivers aren't loaded either.
    This is the probably the closest explanation.

There are two issues with this, one that can sometimes be solved and the other can't. First, yes - the BIOS / OS is thinking that the connected drives (one being your blackberry in "Mass Storage" mode) possibly have operating systems on them. Some versions of BIOS allow you to turn off the ability to boot to USB devices - if yours does, that fixes one of the issues.

I have also seen (not always) that depending on the connected devices power is insufficient from the board firmware before booting into your operating system, causing it to lock up when the OS starts to load. I have a machine here (I run IT for a company) that the individual can leave everything except ONE external drive (he has like 3 for whatever reason) plugged in before booting - otherwise it locks.

So, check your BIOS for that ability, or just leave them unplugged on boot! Hope this helps...
    04-17-09 07:49 AM

There are two issues with this, one that can sometimes be solved and the other can't. First, yes - the BIOS / OS is thinking that the connected drives (one being your blackberry in "Mass Storage" mode) possibly have operating systems on them. Some versions of BIOS allow you to turn off the ability to boot to USB devices - if yours does, that fixes one of the issues.

I have also seen (not always) that depending on the connected devices power is insufficient from the board firmware before booting into your operating system, causing it to lock up when the OS starts to load. I have a machine here (I run IT for a company) that the individual can leave everything except ONE external drive (he has like 3 for whatever reason) plugged in before booting - otherwise it locks.

So, check your BIOS for that ability, or just leave them unplugged on boot! Hope this helps...
    ^^^What they said!!! Boot into bios and change the boot order. Boot from CD/DVD then HDD not USB.
    04-17-09 07:52 AM
    The bios settings were the first thing I thought of too and I had tried to reset them in the past with no luck...but its friday night, I've had a few beers...what the ****! Why not try again.

Still didn't work.

Good suggestion though.

have you try to enter in your PC Bios to change the bootup sequence?
    04-18-09 12:22 AM
    Also a good answer. This was my second thought and I"ve already tried this as well with no luck. I'm thinking your second explanation may be right on and that there is no fix. But if someone out there thinks of something I'm more than happy to try :-).

04-18-09 12:25 AM
    Note the first sentence where it is clearly stated that this is a "somewhat trivial problem with a very easy workaround" and later on where I note that "in order to get around this I simply unplug both before I restart my computer" but that his is effective 90% of the time when I remember to do so. The other 10% of the time I tend to get angry and say mean things to whomever or whatever may be in vicinity."

Given the above quotes am I wrong in thinking that your response is incredibly redundant and bordering on obnoxious?

then disconnect the bb and reconnect after bootup, simple

04-18-09 12:30 AM
    My motherboard is an Intel (Midway 2 GV)...is that what you're looking for?

I had a Power Spec PC from Micro Center that did the same thing and would freeze on the splash screen every time I re-booted, I tried many workarounds with this and it was never resolved.

It seems like the only time this occured was when an external drive or even a printer with built in card reader was attached - very fustrating as I had be a contortionist to unhook the cable to the device.

I talked to a few IT guys at my work and they were never able to give me a solid solution to this, and I think I am pretty comfortable in digging around on my PC's

The mother board on that device was manufactured my Micro Star, just curious if you are using the same brand.

I no longer use this machine as my main desktop and it has since had a copy of vista put on it and this makes me want to try to hook a drive of some sort to see if it remains the same in regards to hanging up on boot.

I will let you know................ Vista vs. XP Hmmmm?
    04-18-09 12:42 AM
    Should be able to just cgange the boot order. Make the USB the last on the list if you can't just disable the ability to boot from USB. There are a few other things you could do but if your not very computer savy I wouldn't suggest it. Like seeing if the memory card in your blackberry is flaged as bootable. If it is you can use like partition magic to remove the boot flag from it. That would tell the computer its not a bootable device.

04-18-09 12:53 AM
    The bios settings were the first thing I thought of too and I had tried to reset them in the past with no luck...but its friday night, I've had a few beers...what the ****! Why not try again.

Still didn't work.

Good suggestion though.
    Hmmm strange.... the bootup sequence should work if you set your pc's hdd as the 1st bootup.

That how i prevent my usb hdd/storage from being detected 1st
    04-18-09 12:57 AM
    I've already disabled the ability to boot from USB with no luck.

Should be able to just cgange the boot order. Make the USB the last on the list if you can't just disable the ability to boot from USB. There are a few other things you could do but if your not very computer savy I wouldn't suggest it. Like seeing if the memory card in your blackberry is flaged as bootable. If it is you can use like partition magic to remove the boot flag from it. That would tell the computer its not a bootable device.

04-18-09 01:11 AM
    Disable "Boot from another Device" in your BIOS. Since your Storm or BB device is a Mass Storage Device, USB for short it will try to boot from it if that is enabled. Good luck!
    04-18-09 01:58 AM
    My computer does that with flash drives, iPods, iPhones, and BlackBerrys.
    04-18-09 09:26 AM
    There just is no certain way to stop BIOS from checking connected drives. There is countless versions of BIOS on countless Mother boards. Playing with the boot sequence still doesn't stop it from checking all drives. As we all know it takes Windows several minutes to boot up, and none of the drivers are available till it is.
    USB thumb drives are usually left in FAT32 and that will bring up a blue screen on a NTFS system. Trying to force you to boot in safe mode.

Just unplug stuff.

04-18-09 12:15 PM
    Some of the new computers see a USB device as bootable just like a floppy drive. In some cases this is hard coded into the BIOS and not available via the settings menu. Just remember to disconnect your BlackBerry before booting.
    04-18-09 12:24 PM
    I forgot to mention the memory card in your BB is Fat32. As well as the mem in most music devices. The older Fat32 file system is compatable with other OS's that's why they don't come in NTFS from the manufacturer.
    All can stop Windows from booting.

04-18-09 12:37 PM
    Strange thing is that I just realized that it will boot if I shut my computer down completely and turn back on as opposed to restarting. Weirdness....
    04-20-09 03:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD