Thank you for the information! Thankfully, official support or lack thereof will not affect my ability to use the Passport.
    10-01-18 06:30 PM
    Thank you for the information! Thankfully, official support or lack thereof will not affect my ability to use the Passport.
    You know that for sure?

Just wondering, but do you use Link? Blend? Your BBID?
    10-01-18 06:56 PM
    You know that for sure?

Just wondering, but do you use Link? Blend? Your BBID?
    Yep, I know for sure. My needs are fairly basic. Phone/Text/MMS/WiFi capability/Camera/Internet access/Access to my email accounts and last but not least a PKB.

It does not matter what BB does or stops supporting, those basics will *always *work on the phone.

I have used link/blend, but those services were not why I bought the phone and they are not essential to me.
    10-01-18 08:30 PM
    Yep, I know for sure. My needs are fairly basic. Phone/Text/MMS/WiFi capability/Camera/Internet access/Access to my email accounts and last but not least a PKB.

It does not matter what BB does or stops supporting, those basics will *always *work on the phone.

I have used link/blend, but those services were not why I bought the phone and they are not essential to me.
    That was the question I alluded to before. How do you know that everything will still function when BB10 servers are shutdown. I thought same as you until seasoned BB10 veterans here on CB explained multiple uncertainties to me.
    10-01-18 08:34 PM
    That was the question I alluded to before. How do you know that everything will still function when BB10 servers are shutdown. I thought same as you until seasoned BB10 veterans here on CB explained multiple uncertainties to me.
    Everything won't function. However, the basics that I need and use will function, because they are independent of BB servers and official support.

If I was using EMM, that would be a problem.

All EOL means is official support will / has ceased, nothing more.
    10-01-18 08:44 PM
    Everything won't function. However, the basics that I need and use will function, because they are independent of BB servers and official support.

If I was using EMM, that would be a problem.

All EOL means is official support will / has ceased, nothing more.
    That's just it. We don't know how independent the phone will really be without the servers. We also don't know what gets shut down.

If the BBID server shuts down, what happens if you have to reboot the phone for whatever reason, and there's no way to validate the phone?

Are the phone's own sensors still tried to the servers as they were back in late 2013 when everyone's sensors (proximity, GPS, accelerometer, etc...) stopped working, and we found out that BlackBerry had to do something on their end to get them to work again?

What we've been told so far is that BBW and BIS will certainly be shut down. True, BB10 has no use for BIS, and the phone can live on without access to BBW. Beyond that, they were vague. BB10 definitely still has a connection to the NOC, it's what that 4-dot BlackBerry logo in the upper right corner is indicating. Most likely the BBID and Protect are connections, but is there more?

Others on these forums have tried removing their device from BlackBerry Protect, and turning it off in the phone, then not setting up a BBID. I think one user was successful in using the phone that way. Only it kept asking to set up a BBID. Though I don't recall the full results.

But, you could be right. It's quite possible that the phone's basic capabilities are totally unaffected.

I just wish the BlackBerry would give us a bit more definitive information on what is affected and what is not.
    10-01-18 10:56 PM
    I understand your concern and what you are outlining are extended services. Maybe for some users that's important. For me, they are not.

I ran out of data on my plan about a week ago. I've done a test case for a 48 hr period this week, using no WiFi and no data at all. Since there is no data on my account, its impossible for the phone to connect to a server or service in the background. My basic needs were unaffected in this test case.

Now, I do expect things to start breaking or at least worsening after EOL, such as functionality of the browser. After a while websites and technology change and update and at some point the built-in browser is going to start having a rough go of it. That in itself doesn't mean the phone becomes a paperweight - other browsers are available. Do they work as well as the stock browser? No, not at this this time and mostly due to the keyboard use. But the phone doesn't become unusable.

To be honest, I'll move on long before the phone becomes a problem for me. It's not like I'm going to keep this as my go-to until 2023 or something. I tend to change phones every 6-12 months and keep 1-2 to cycle back to. Shoot, I was using a Nokia N-97 quite regularly until this past year when my daughter dropped it and damaged the screen. I was eyeballing PKB phones as a replacement - hence my Passport.
    10-02-18 07:33 AM
    I realize I am a minority in this regard as I enjoy a PKB and I really don't care about apps. I've had a Nokia N-97, Passport and before these two I used a Sony Xperia Play (non PKB). For other non PKB's I've mostly used a Moto X and recently a Freetel Kiwami, which is freaking huge and I'm gravitating away from it. I loved the Sony Play and it still works and is in excellent condition. The downside is that its limited to 3G and while 4G isn't at the top of my needs list, its nice to have. That and its not a PKB, but it is a pretty cool handheld gaming phone
    10-02-18 07:43 AM
    It’s been understood by many on here that non-data or non-WiFi function should be unaffected. The concern is when the phone voluntarily or involuntarily reboots and has to complete the BBID signing process. What happens when you reboot your phone with no data or WiFi? Even though WiFi use suggests email should be ok, is that 100%? Again, there’s been no certainty on here but it seems rebooting is the main issue. Did your other EOL devices require access to EOL servers as part of boot process?
    I understand your concern and what you are outlining are extended services. Maybe for some users that's important. For me, they are not.

I ran out of data on my plan about a week ago. I've done a test case for a 48 hr period this week, using no WiFi and no data at all. Since there is no data on my account, its impossible for the phone to connect to a server or service in the background. My basic needs were unaffected in this test case.

Now, I do expect things to start breaking or at least worsening after EOL, such as functionality of the browser. After a while websites and technology change and update and at some point the built-in browser is going to start having a rough go of it. That in itself doesn't mean the phone becomes a paperweight - other browsers are available. Do they work as well as the stock browser? No, not at this this time and mostly due to the keyboard use. But the phone doesn't become unusable.

To be honest, I'll move on long before the phone becomes a problem for me. It's not like I'm going to keep this as my go-to until 2023 or something. I tend to change phones every 6-12 months and keep 1-2 to cycle back to. Shoot, I was using a Nokia N-97 quite regularly until this past year when my daughter dropped it and damaged the screen. I was eyeballing PKB phones as a replacement - hence my Passport.
    10-02-18 08:26 AM
34 12