I agree with the charges, webstes cost money, sometimes a lot of money. Thank you to crackberry for keeping this site free.

In the end if kevin needed to start chargeing to use this forum i would feel very comfortable paying for it. This is the best blackberry site on the net.
    03-14-10 09:33 AM
    I can understand charging, but being cheap it would drive me away - like it will some other members who contribute over there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 09:51 AM
    I dont even take a second look at forums that charge there members. Theres a reason why those forums never make it to long, no one wants to join.

if CB ever charged, do you really think over 2 MILLION members would still be here? no way
    03-14-10 09:53 AM
    I belong to some Pro Photography forums.
    A few ask for "donations, like 35.00 a year" and you get recognition, but no added benefits, just to help upkeep the site. They also require you use your real name .

Maybe if CB charged 1.00 per member per month, their store prices can come down, etc. just a thought.
    03-14-10 10:23 AM
    I agree with the charges, webstes cost money, sometimes a lot of money. Thank you to crackberry for keeping this site free.

In the end if kevin needed to start chargeing to use this forum i would feel very comfortable paying for it. This is the best blackberry site on the net.
    unless you're facebook or have millions of user your cost to run a forum site would be at most $50 a month. I have my own dedicated server in which i pay $374 a month for BUT i have 41 sites running on it. the server is powerful enough to handle 100-150 sites with no slow down or problems. so its pretty bs when any webmaster tries to claim hosting cost. its not the 90's early 2000's anymore. everything is cheap now.
    03-14-10 10:39 AM
    I belong to some Pro Photography forums.
    A few ask for "donations, like 35.00 a year" and you get recognition, but no added benefits, just to help upkeep the site. They also require you use your real name .

Maybe if CB charged 1.00 per member per month, their store prices can come down, etc. just a thought.
    yeah right. Thats $2,300,000.00 per month! CB would make $276,000,000.00 per YEAR then! **** no!
    03-14-10 11:55 AM
    yeah right. Thats $2,300,000.00 per month! CB would make $276,000,000.00 per YEAR then! **** no!
    so? then the gang could do this basically as their full time gig (I think they do)
    they can run their own contests without outside support, etc.
    03-14-10 11:58 AM
    Welcome back, we have many models of smartphone uses that also prefer our place to hang out.

There are multiple pathways to forum success. Ours is free content and no premium members. We can do that becasue our forum is sponsored by a successful cell phone industry member.

They don't. All they have to offer is artificial rank and privileges.

Welcome back.
    I will attest to this.
    03-14-10 12:14 PM
    I would pay for a membership to a forum if it offered additional services, a 5/month Membership would be worth while if I was getting, on site image hosting for forum posts, a clean mobile interface, and add free when logged in,

I would not pay if the only means of supporting the site was through paid memberships, introduce ad support first, then paid membership, I would not pay if I get nothing above and beyond what a free membership would offer.

In a Pay membership site, I would suspect the classifieds would be better run then in a free place
    03-14-10 12:20 PM
    What for!? Couple of things...

a) It is NOT CrackBerry, MobiHand, Smartphone Experts or ANYONE else EXCEPT the DEVELOPERS who determine the prices you see in the store. As a developer myself it is my damn right to set the price for my software insanely high if I feel like it, no one ever forced you to purchase my software and if I won't get even a single dime for selling my software then it's my own problem, don't you come and tell me what's good for my business and what's not. How would it help me anyway if members donated to CRACKBERRY and not ME? Why do you think if people start paying for a forum membership will make me feel like reducing the price I ask for my very own software that has little to do with said forum? Are you trying to say CrackBerry should pay developers from this money? CrackBerry is already taking some of my money, or did you really think that 100% of the price you pay for software goes directly into the pocket of a developer? WRONG.

b) I have invested much, maybe too much time into CrackBerry as it is right now. I have helped numerous people here, provided software / solutions free of charge for those in need (e.g. Arabic language support for Pearl 81xx series) and much more. Even tipped CrackBerry a couple of times when it was a slow news day. Why all this? I simply like CrackBerry, it has become a small part of my life that I like to frequent in my part-time whenever I have the chance to. I have NEVER asked something in return. NEVER. I share my knowledge with everyone for FREE, have helped much more than I have ever asked a question myself. Now that I make this point this bold should CrackBerry ever introduce a premium membership option, even if it were only 1 USD per month or even 1 USD per YEAR, I would pack my things and move on the moment this change kicks in. Pay for helping others? Ridiculous! Even if I got a larger signature space or shiny username.

Just my two cents.
    03-14-10 12:57 PM

a) It is NOT CrackBerry, MobiHand, Smartphone Experts or ANYONE else EXCEPT the DEVELOPERS who determine the prices you see in the store. As a developer myself it is my damn right to set the price for my software insanely high if I feel like it, no one ever forced you to purchase my software and if I won't get even a single dime for selling my software then it's my own problem, don't you come and tell me what's good for my business and what's not. How would it help me anyway if members donated to CRACKBERRY and not ME? Why do you think if people start paying for a forum membership will make me feel like reducing the price I ask for my very own software that has little to do with said forum? Are you trying to say CrackBerry should pay developers from this money? CrackBerry is already taking some of my money, or did you really think that 100% of the price you pay for software goes directly into the pocket of a developer? WRONG.

b) I have invested much, maybe too much time into CrackBerry as it is right now. I have helped numerous people here, provided software / solutions free of charge for those in need (e.g. Arabic language support for Pearl 81xx series) and much more. Even tipped CrackBerry a couple of times when it was a slow news day. Why all this? I simply like CrackBerry, it has become a small part of my life that I like to frequent in my part-time whenever I have the chance to. I have NEVER asked something in return. NEVER. I share my knowledge with everyone for FREE, have helped much more than I have ever asked a question myself. Now that I make this point this bold should CrackBerry ever introduce a premium membership option, even if it were only 1 USD per month or even 1 USD per YEAR, I would pack my things and move on the moment this change kicks in. Pay for helping others? Ridiculous! Even if I got a larger signature space or shiny username.

Just my two cents.
    well said!
    03-14-10 01:27 PM

Just my two cents.
    AMEN! I dont mind paying for software! Dev. work damn hard on it!
    03-14-10 11:38 PM
    I wasn't referring to software prices. Never mentioned software at all.
    I was referring to accessories. etc that you can get for a lot cheaper than in the store because of higher volume.
    Geez.
    03-15-10 05:04 AM
    Another thought is a small monthly fee might even cut down on the TROLLS that seem to have become leeches on this site.
    03-15-10 06:34 AM
    Another thought is a small monthly fee might even cut down on the TROLLS that seem to have become leeches on this site.
    Excellent Point!!!
    03-15-10 08:18 AM

you could not run a successful forum of this nature on a pay member only model,

the model would have to be built on a bonus system.

ideally you'd have a system in place that gives you the option to purchase a pro membership as well as earn a pro membership.

a recognition system in place in the forums, that can lead to purchasing your membership, as well as forum contests to earn free memberships.

I am on a few sights that work with this idea, or one similar, NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection. used to and may still have a points system that allowed you to purchase gifts, and free shipping based on points.

what would be nice is to see a system similar to that system here with the accessories, as well as posting.

a forum is not only about helping people, it is also a community, you often spend money to be part of a community, like club dues, and such, I don't think the model of pay for privileged is a model that couldn't work here.
    03-15-10 08:21 AM
    I can kinda see that. Websites have to make their money somehow. But someone like Crackberry probably has all their affiliates, web store and that are ways of making money other than charging us. I personally wouldnt pay for a forum.
    03-15-10 08:32 AM
    High forum quality is directly proportional to the number of unemployed who use it.

High unemployment increases the breadth and depth of skills and knowledge that contribute to discussions.

However, those people won't pay to contribute.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-15-10 08:45 AM
    I have a very successful web forum which survives only on the donations of its members. We have about 8000 members and tens of thousands of non-registered trolls. Our dedicated server is about $250 a month, so we need to get that in donations or we will go out of business...

We choose not to do advertising...but if times continue as they are, we may not have a choice.

Those of you who seem to believe that web forums should be provided to you for free are laughable. Someone has to pay to sustain the site. A site this large and active requires a huge amount of bandwidth.
    03-15-10 09:03 AM
    In the age of 800 baud modems, there was a professional forum server package that ran on a 64kb commodore with 2x 5.25" floppy disk drives

I have also administrated servers and bandwidth is not that significant. Multi-media banners use a lot of bandwidth and text messages do not.

CPU load can be significant and that varies a lot depending on the software used.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-15-10 09:43 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD