BlackBerry should watch Kodak VERY carefully over the next several months. Kodak filed for bankruptcy a while back but is now back in business and trying to make waves in the smartphone industry. It's latest phone is the ektra, a very camera-centric phone. Some pictures taken with the phone are online and they are gorgeous.

The key here is that Kodak is not making the phone but has licensed the brand and some IP to a UK company called Bullit. This is, I believe, the same company that made the nearly indestructible cat s60 phone for industry. In any event Kodak is following the same licensing path that BlackBerry wants to try. SO, kodak's reception by the marketplace should be something BlackBerry should monitor to gauge how BlackBerry may fare as well.

For that matter, Bullit may even be a worthwhile 3rd party company to make future BlackBerry pkb phones, as that company is not afraid to make some very unique looking devices. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-20-16 08:10 PM
    SO, kodak's reception by the marketplace should be something BlackBerry should monitor to gauge how BlackBerry may fare as well.
    So far:

Kodak Ektra: The Android phone nobody will buy

Kodak's new Ektra smartphone would rather just be a camera - The Verge

It's a hipster phone.
    10-20-16 08:14 PM
    What it IS is irrelevant, as opposed to what it represents. In other words, is there a viable market among smartphones for niche products made through brand licenses?

I have NO doubt this Kodak phone will sell, but will it be in sufficient Numbers to offer a sustainable source of income? How will BlackBerry fare in an analogous situation in Indonesia?

10-20-16 09:00 PM
    Nothing new under the sun. Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom circa 2013
    Pay attention to Kodak!-qqovaiy.jpg

If Kodak wants to license its name thats fine but not going to rock the market at all.
    10-20-16 09:08 PM
    And Panasonic Lumix.
    http://m.gsmarena.com/panasonic_lumi...a_cm1-6675.php
    I have no idea why OP is spamming on all the forums about that Kodak.
    10-20-16 10:31 PM
    When a company files bankruptcy, a trustee is obligated to identify every possible asset that can be exploited - including an iconic brand name. Basically, the brand name goes to the highest bidder. All this means is that the Kodak brand was sold to the highest bidder that wouldn't damage the brand. It doesn't mean much else.
    10-20-16 10:55 PM
    When a company files bankruptcy, a trustee is obligated to identify every possible asset that can be exploited - including an iconic brand name. Basically, the brand name goes to the highest bidder. All this means is that the Kodak brand was sold to the highest bidder that wouldn't damage the brand. It doesn't mean much else.
    How could they filter out the bidders that would "damage" the brand? I think it would just go to the highest bidder who can then do as they wish with their property.
    10-20-16 11:03 PM
    How could they filter out the bidders that would "damage" the brand? I think it would just go to the highest bidder who can then do as they wish with their property.
    If you license the brand then you have to have some standards, otherwise the products would damage the value of the brand. They wouldn't license the brand to be used on a cheap Android phone with a poor camera - that would damage brand as a mark of good photography. Apparently, Kodak is still managing its brand and wants to expand it to be a "maker" brand. I'm not sure it's that strong but they are giving it a shot. It doesn't seem like they are actually making anything, though.
    “Kodak enjoys unaided awareness and we've identified that Kodak is ultimately about creating - so this is why our intention is for it to become the world's leading maker brand.”
    Read more at http://www.adnews.com.au/news/kodak-...V8Ga7HURLpi.99
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-20-16 11:34 PM
    And Panasonic Lumix.
    http://m.gsmarena.com/panasonic_lumi...a_cm1-6675.php
    I have no idea why OP is spamming on all the forums about that Kodak.
    Because I'm a sucker for a feel-good comeback story, and if Kodak can do it, there's hope that BlackBerry will too! They are/were both in very similar boats, so to speak, and both are pursuing very similar business models at the present.

That said, I'm going to watch the dtek60 closely. It has the specs to succeed, but the price, fair or not, will put off some potential buyers. Plus, the relative lack of marketing doesn't help. BlackBerry apparently delayed the release for some marketing ploy. Anyone see anything big ads yet? Something the general consumer might see, I mean, not some small article tucked away in a tech site only techies will visit.

greatgretschsound likes this.
    10-20-16 11:34 PM
    Because I'm a sucker for a feel-good comeback story, and if Kodak can do it, there's hope that BlackBerry will too! They are/were both in very similar boats, so to speak, and both are pursuing very similar business models at the present.
    The business model being making the most of the brand? Is that really a comeback story? The average customer won't realize this but anyone who even takes a cursory look at what Kodak is doing will quickly realize that they are just managing the licensing of the brand. Does that really make you want to buy a Kodak smartphone? Do you really want BlackBerry to treat its hardware brand the same way?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-20-16 11:46 PM
    It's not what I want, it's what BlackBerry is doing. So, might as well see how the model plays out for another company.

10-21-16 01:12 AM
    I think its great, better camera and Android excellent idea.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-16 09:59 AM
    Try Apple - come back story of Jobs. Microsoft - after Ballmer left...
    10-21-16 01:00 PM
    Nothing new under the sun. Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom circa 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QQovAiy.jpg 
Views:	1073 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	410348

If Kodak wants to license its name thats fine but not going to rock the market at all.
    That's just lame and way too wide, the Kodak is a beautiful phone with attention to detail. But Like the Cat phones this will be a niche phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-16 01:26 PM
    It's not what I want, it's what BlackBerry is doing. So, might as well see how the model plays out for another company.

No matter how it plays out... it's not going to bring back the Kodak of old. Yes it will prove to some, just how little a Brand name means on a smartphone... especially one that most people think has already gone out of business years ago.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-21-16 01:47 PM
    No matter how it plays out... it's not going to bring back the Kodak of old. Yes it will prove to some, just how little a Brand name means on a smartphone... especially one that most people think has already gone out of business years ago.
    IMHO, not totally, Kodak got special imaging capability with camera - that is asset going to be used in AR and VR... wide angle still one of the challenges in hardware. high imaging quality could ease some of the processing requirements of AR/VR by zoom, or digital movement rather than take new life video image with rapid refreshing rate... to immersion yourself into the environment, it got a lot to go for it... as for how to use it fully, that is in app/designer's hands... I am glad BB dtek 60 and sony got nice camera... can't wait to see how it would be used at demo...
    10-21-16 01:58 PM
    IMHO, not totally, Kodak got special imaging capability with camera - that is asset going to be used in AR and VR... wide angle still one of the challenges in hardware. high imaging quality could ease some of the processing requirements of AR/VR by zoom, or digital movement rather than take new life video image with rapid refreshing rate... to immersion yourself into the environment, it got a lot to go for it... as for how to use it fully, that is in app/designer's hands... I am glad BB dtek 60 and sony got nice camera... can't wait to see how it would be used at demo...
    While Kodak pioneered digital imaging.... and they hold a NUMBER of patents and technology that many still be in use and highly valuable. That doesn't translate to a KODAK phone selling well. One reason they got in this mess, is their digital cameras where not all that good. To be honest I think it had more to do with their software and processing of the images... that and the pricing.
    10-21-16 02:05 PM
    Nothing wrong with niche phones, which is exactly what the Kodak phone aims to be anyway. Best of luck, I'd say. I might bite if the mercury isn't out by then. No rush, at any rate, because the Ektra will not be available in north America until 2017.

10-21-16 02:15 PM
    While Kodak pioneered digital imaging.... and they hold a NUMBER of patents and technology that many still be in use and highly valuable. That doesn't translate to a KODAK phone selling well. One reason they got in this mess, is their digital cameras where not all that good. To be honest I think it had more to do with their software and processing of the images... that and the pricing.
    AR VR are still everybody's game at this stage. mobile phone is one way to make quick money (just look at pokemon.. it is not even a real AR to start with). with hardware capable in this "standard not yet set" stage, it is good to set capability that can be utilized by next gen application. Once the standard is set, dog fight will start.. (similar situation, i am very glad Tesla put self drive hardware in to all their new models... set up "sort of standard" for the software platform - with large enough installed basis. etc.etc. another story IMHO).
    10-21-16 02:16 PM
    Is there any evidence that Kodak is doing anything other than licensing its brand to a smartphone manufacturer? Is a Kodak smartphone camera likely to be any better than one made by Sony?
    10-21-16 02:22 PM

That said, I'm going to watch the dtek60 closely. It has the specs to succeed, but the price, fair or not, will put off some potential buyers. Plus, the relative lack of marketing doesn't help. BlackBerry apparently delayed the release for some marketing ploy. Anyone see anything big ads yet? Something the general consumer might see, I mean, not some small article tucked away in a tech site only techies will visit.

What happened to Kodak is quite the lesson... watch out, BlackBerry! :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-21-16 02:24 PM
    That's just lame and way too wide, the Kodak is a beautiful phone with attention to detail. But Like the Cat phones this will be a niche phone.

Posted via CB10
    smartphone tech from 3 years ago that uses 10x optical zoom. Camera that can take very good high res photos and use digital zoom yet are small in size on a phone are dime a dozen now.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 from the same year used high rez+digital zoom to make a slimmer phone which the market adopted as a better approach and its still a highly rated camera for a smartphone, just below todays flagships.

Pay attention to Kodak!-ezeempd.jpg
    Last edited by Ment; 10-21-16 at 02:57 PM.
    10-21-16 02:47 PM
    They are not trying to make the best available cameraphone. They are making a retro-themed phone with above-average - not outstanding - photo capabilities. It really is not fair to compare it with past efforts to sell photography first phones. I wish them the best of luck. It is hard to differentiate a smartphone from the rest in today's market.
    10-21-16 03:56 PM
    BlackBerry should watch Kodak VERY carefully over the next several months. Kodak filed for bankruptcy a while back but is now back in business and trying to make waves in the smartphone industry. It's latest phone is the ektra, a very camera-centric phone. Some pictures taken with the phone are online and they are gorgeous.

The key here is that Kodak is not making the phone but has licensed the brand and some IP to a UK company called Bullit. This is, I believe, the same company that made the nearly indestructible cat s60 phone for industry. In any event Kodak is following the same licensing path that BlackBerry wants to try. SO, kodak's reception by the marketplace should be something BlackBerry should monitor to gauge how BlackBerry may fare as well.

For that matter, Bullit may even be a worthwhile 3rd party company to make future BlackBerry pkb phones, as that company is not afraid to make some very unique looking devices. Just my thoughts.

Yeah. They should pay attention to Kodak...

As a case study how NOT to do licensing.
    10-21-16 06:03 PM

Im so confused by this, Why would you even suggest that BB reinvent itself as a phone maker? They FAILED! MISERABLY! it was EPIC!!! BB's Android is a colossal failure as well. OS10 was a failure. Times up.
    10-21-16 06:37 PM
42 12