I've been procrastinating, not doing work, and looking back at last year's BlackBerry World announcements and such, and I got sidetracked looking at the TAT demos. Those guys are seriously not playing around.

On September 1, 2010, TAT Publishes this video on their page.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7_mOdi3O5E[/YT]

Pay close attention at the 1:52 mark onwards.

On December 2nd, 2010, RIM acquires TAT. RIM welcomes TAT! �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

Fast forward to MWC2012, where finally we see this concept video come to reality in the confetti app.
    http://crackberry.com/rim-sweden-mak...berry-playbook
    It might be a possibility that TAT can implement the capability of the app using NFC, but we're not quite there yet. Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

But that is just one piece of the puzzle. RIM is not stagnant, they continue to innovate behind the scenes. Lets stop the cycle of hatred and continue sending love and encouragement to the folks who are working their butts off to usher in the a new era in the mobile world! (I cant wait for cascades driven apps to be in my hands later this year! )

Although it seems like it's been a gazillion years, TAT and RIM developers are only people and I know that they are furiously working to get the features we all want and need, but remember that ROME was not built in a day, and that RIM won't collapse in a year either. They have to strategize with mobile content providers, and cut deals with folks across the industry, including making concessions to other platforms. I'm just so excited for what I expect to be announced at this years WES...
    03-13-12 03:14 AM
    WOW that was an awesome way to wake up! Great concepts.
    Hopefully RIM will execute these concepts and get us something awesome. I'm in for the ride, can't wait for these.
    03-13-12 03:22 AM
    Seriously, while you wait for them to deliver the goods, watch their concepts and demos. Yes indeed, as Crackberry Kevin says, they are torture, but what can I say, I guess I'm a masochist.

TATMobileUI's Channel - YouTube
    LMG1963 likes this.
    03-13-12 03:29 AM
    Another great example is obviously, the Scrapbook app, which IMO just keeps getting better with the sticker packs!
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWJG-sB7H4Y[/YT]
    Demoed at last years Barcelona MWC purely as an "inspirational demo" on Feb 16, and It was later released a short 3 months later!
    http://crackberry.com/free-scrapbook...berry-playbook
    03-13-12 03:39 AM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRAV1Iu7oXM[/YT]
    03-13-12 03:47 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Serious stuff! .. can't wait to see it in bb10! ... lets do it RIM!!!
    03-13-12 04:04 AM
    I would love to have a BB phone with the same concept.
    03-13-12 04:07 AM
    I would love to have a BB phone with the same concept.
    You ... will
    CDM76, zethaaron and anon(3896606) like this.
    03-13-12 05:54 AM
    Thanks OP. I was thinking about the video you posted when I started to use Bridge Remote on my BlackBerry. One of the clicking moments in my head was how I'm unsure of how ground breaking this truly is and if RIM has this roadmap strategy.

If I can control my tablet screen from my phone keyboard and touchscreen, how far away we from bring my PC anywhere on my phone and bridging to our workstation. Also the keyboard and touch HID profile are device independent and can be switched OTG.

Again RIM often integrates as opposed to producing their own ecosystem so it will be important to see which large companies are willing to work alongside with RIM, everyone seems to be jumping ship at the moment

Last edited by BaconMunch; 03-13-12 at 08:27 AM.
    03-13-12 08:18 AM
    If I understand it correctly, that is why they just aquired Paratek to help with the radio stack and various technologies needed to connect to multiple devices at once...

Given their prominence even in developing markets, it would be super exciting to have a phone that could really connect to any network anywhere. And make it connect to multiple technologies at once.

RIM acquires Paratek to bring BlackBerrys to more networks | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    03-13-12 01:55 PM
    I really want to see what TAT can do, but i hope it isnt based on NFC bc that would be a slap in the face to all the people that are actually supporting this model of the PB. It wont be WRONG for them to do it, but it would suck for us
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-13-12 01:57 PM
    The biggest problem I have with TAT/RIM, and even at the MWC showings from them, is that everything is a concept to show what the Playbook can do. They really need to release these concepts so the Playbook can actually do these things. The cool demos are getting old, I would like to see some cool apps to come of it.
    03-13-12 02:18 PM
    I feel the same way as lnichols and the fact that they took a year from the concept video to the concept confetti app scares me even more. But if anything is ever implemented, by say blackberry world, for the BB10 device i would be ecstatic. I hope to one day scroll my bbm/contacts/twitter like the cascades concept video or have a homescreen widget like the bathroom mirror concept video. Sadly, as much as i love my playbook, i hope the bb10 phones are not just a scaled down playbook because this would once again ignore the TAT concepts and leave them status quo ie. concepts.
    03-13-12 03:03 PM
    Worst still, if the user ran native iOS apps, BB10 would stop as iOS does not know how to truly multitask.
    If receiving e-mail while on a call and browsing the web (which is supported by all smartphone platforms including iOS) isn't "truly" multitasking" then you're using a very restrictive definition.
    03-13-12 03:27 PM
    "Pay close attention at the 1:52 mark onwards.

On December 2nd, 2010, RIM acquires TAT. RIM welcomes TAT! �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

Fast forward to MWC2012, where finally we see this concept video come to reality in the confetti app. "

Print to go/open on was also in the video. Look what he did after he edits the football pics.
    Really cool post OP.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    03-13-12 04:42 PM
    The video that shows the playbook tilting and getting a 3D view is excellent.

IMO RIM has to make the playbook natively strong and 'TATalizing'. Only their in-house efforts could make features like this a unified playbook experience

Set the bar high and there should be less apps that suck in App World
    Last edited by anthogag; 03-13-12 at 08:12 PM.
    03-13-12 07:18 PM
    Every time I watch that video, I cringe at the way that woman brushes her teeth. She only brushes the buccal surfaces, completely ignoring her occlusal, lingual and palatal surfaces. Not to mention at risk of getting gingival recession due to poor brushing technique. She needs to stop reading the news and focus on brushing properly.

Otherwise, I thought the concepts are awesome and I can't wait till they implement them in future BlackBerry phones!
    03-13-12 07:48 PM
    Every time I watch that video, I cringe at the way that woman brushes her teeth. She only brushes the buccal surfaces, completely ignoring her occlusal, lingual and palatal surfaces. Not to mention at risk of getting gingival recession due to poor brushing technique. She needs to stop reading the news and focus on brushing properly.

Otherwise, I thought the concepts are awesome and I can't wait till they implement them in future BlackBerry phones!
    Whatever way she is brushing, I'd still kill to get my bicuspids on those features. Also keep in mind she is Swedish, they do things differently out there, LOL
    Just Me and blackguy07 like this.
    03-13-12 08:03 PM
    I really want to see what TAT can do, but i hope it isnt based on NFC bc that would be a slap in the face to all the people that are actually supporting this model of the PB. It wont be WRONG for them to do it, but it would suck for us
    well there is more than one way to skin a cat. the current implementation of confetti requres a webcam, which was mentioned less than ideal, and it was mentioned on the video the connection could be made through bluetooth. OSX currently has the AirDrop thing which is just more proof that this technology is not too far away

nfc is just one more way you can implement it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Just Me likes this.
    03-13-12 09:36 PM
    Its a good observation and I agree on all points. Bringing out a platform in this little time was impressive enough, and like I've said before, they are indeed working their asses off right now. In the end, the ones who wait will be happy.
    03-13-12 10:21 PM
    I am patiently waiting for TAT's efforts to be made available for us to use. Patience is what we need to have, we also need to appreciate it. Those of us who cannot do either, will never be able to, unless they change.
    03-13-12 11:28 PM
    I see the point of the comments above but it appears that nobody cares about RIM's innovations. Wikitude augmented reality; nfc; true multi-tasking; 1+1=3 concepts on the PB and etc. These are great features currently but have in no way stopped the bleeding. Thus, I believe BB10 will need to be so superior relative to the competition that bloggers and analyst have no choice but to praise the new OS. What will it take? Unfortunately this is the $1 million question.
    h20work likes this.
    03-14-12 12:03 AM
    I got the feeling TAT was working on the NDK or whatever its called, which to me is like building the tools, blueprints and machinery for all other developers or workers to build skyscrapers or PB unique apps. Playbook is on par with anything else out there so I'm hoping the cascades UI and whatever TAT has been working on can really bring some interesting things to the PB.
    03-14-12 01:15 AM
    I got the feeling TAT was working on the NDK or whatever its called, which to me is like building the tools, blueprints and machinery for all other developers or workers to build skyscrapers or PB unique apps. Playbook is on par with anything else out there so I'm hoping the cascades UI and whatever TAT has been working on can really bring some interesting things to the PB.
    That makes sense...They created the tools, but they have to get them ready for the average developer to be able to use them with minimal effort. I did more digging and found this video from august 2010 about cascades, looks very impressive! I just can't imagine the battery drain such complex renderings can cause.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdrBefMAEc[/YT]
    EveryApp Mobile likes this.
    03-14-12 02:01 AM
    And here's TAT's philosophy on tablet UI's

On one hand we have companies that scale phone UIs to tablets. On the other hand we have companies offering the full blown desktop experience scaled down to tablet size. We believe that both of these approaches will result in crippled user experiences. For example, the tablet form factor is perfect for media consumption and this could be manifested in the UI. TAT recognizes tablets as a radically different type of device - personal and mobile yet powerful and creative. We are now on a quest to design fantastic UIs that are optimized for this device space.

Check out TAT's blog.TAT - Mobile User Interface Blog: Exploring Tablet Interfaces

They obviously know android, so they could potentially "TATify" the current android runtime.
    03-14-12 02:23 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD