Withdrawn unable to delete
    Last edited by jrohland; 03-27-12 at 05:58 AM.
    03-06-12 06:01 AM
    6. A former BB-user with a superiority complex that feels compelled to come back to their former ilk and let them know how stupid they are for not switching to platform X or Y. Also goes by the term "Trolls"
    guzprom likes this.
    03-06-12 06:27 AM
    7.) They are fascinated by the arrogance of people who believe that if others disagree with them on technology and business issues, then it must be because of a condescending list of social and psychological problems.
    03-06-12 06:38 AM
    So, if I read your post correctly, those left are smug paranoid elitists?..

Lol, seriously, it's a phone.. And not even a complete one at that..If it does less that others or fails to meet latent needs then people buy something else.

I am sorry but any displeasure from former BB owners is the fault of rim, not residual psychotic problems on behalf of the ex owners..

In my personal case the ONLY reason I can continue to purchase a BB phone is that I have the iPad to Cover all the things a BB should, but cannot do.
    mca312 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    03-06-12 06:54 AM
    3) They grew up watching their mom and/or dad paying constant attention to the BlackBerry and, by extension, little attention to them. They project that anger on to BlackBerry instead of where it belongs. The only hope for these people is that they grow out of it. I personally hope they are not doing the same thing to their children with their iGadgets.
    It seems to me that most people who "grew up watching their mom and/or dad paying constant attention to the BlackBerry" wouldn't be old enough to have kids yet, since the first "modern" BlackBerry dates back just 9 years. On the other hand, if these people do have kids already, then there's your real problem.
    03-06-12 06:56 AM
    So, if I read your post correctly, those left are smug paranoid elitists?..

Lol, seriously, it's a phone.. And not even a complete one at that..If it does less that others or fails to meet latent needs then people buy something else.

I am sorry but any displeasure from former BB owners is the fault of rim, not residual psychotic problems on behalf of the ex owners..

In my personal case the ONLY reason I can continue to purchase a BB phone is that I have the iPad to Cover all the things a BB should, but cannot do.
    Such as...?

Who says any device should do anything? It does what it does. If it won't do what you need, get something that will. I don't understand why people can't just leave it at that.
    03-06-12 07:10 AM
    Skype..

Skype calling on the iPad has saved me over $2000 in international roaming calls.. And yes, for $2000 I don't mind looking like a dork at an airport or hotel... To me, making a phone call is a phone function.. And BB is the only smartphone platform that does not allow VoIP...

I agree with your sentiment below.. I don't give a hoot what anyone buys, but Internet based psychoanalysis and paranoid judgement of folks is a bit much by the op.

Such as...?

Who says any device should do anything? It does what it does. If it won't do what you need, get something that will. I don't understand why people can't just leave it at that.
    03-06-12 07:27 AM
    ROFLMAO...good observations.
    03-06-12 07:30 AM
    7.) They are fascinated by the arrogance of people who believe that if others disagree with them on technology and business issues, then it must be because of a condescending list of social and psychological problems.
    Looking at our clan of trolls on this forums (aka the usual suspects as one community member called them) - I find it hard to believe there arent social and/or psychological problems with them. Who comes to a BB forum - full of BB enthusiasts - to bag on BB's? Tell me that doesnt equate to someone having psychological issues...
    Dapper37 likes this.
    03-06-12 08:57 AM

So now RIM is responsible for peoples actions now? ROFL! If you are unhappy about something - fine. But to come into a forum and complain about it non-stop is really quite ridiculous AND (contrary to your logic) not RIM's fault.
    03-06-12 09:01 AM
    3) They grew up watching their mom and/or dad paying constant attention to the BlackBerry and, by extension, little attention to them. They project that anger on to BlackBerry instead of where it belongs. The only hope for these people is that they grow out of it. I personally hope they don't the same thing to their children with their iGadgets.
    This one made me laugh. Hard. My mother never owned a cell phone a day in her life. My dad owned one but never used it. He had a cell phone back in the early 90s when it was those cell phone in a bag phones where you had to pay $65 for about 50 minutes and you roamed if you took your hand off the tower. When he finally got another one later in his life, he used it but hated it. He was still using a very old Motorola Razr flip phone before he died this past July.

The theory is new on me. Blame the parents of the person who doesn't like BB. I love it.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-06-12 09:10 AM
    This one made me laugh. Hard. My mother never owned a cell phone a day in her life. My dad owned one but never used it. He had a cell phone back in the early 90s when it was those cell phone in a bag phones where you had to pay $65 for about 50 minutes and you roamed if you took your hand off the tower. When he finally got another one later in his life, he used it but hated it. He was still using a very old Motorola Razr flip phone before he died this past July.

The theory is new on me. Blame the parents of the person who doesn't like BB. I love it.
    Doesnt look to me that he's blaming the parents for anything.
    03-06-12 09:12 AM
    Doesnt look to me that he's blaming the parents for anything.
    Sounds like it to me. The parents paid more attention to the BB. The child resented the BB and still does to this day.
    03-06-12 09:14 AM
    Sounds like it to me. The parents paid more attention to the BB. The child resented the BB and still does to this day.
    Again - not sure how its the parents fault that the child fosters resentment.
    03-06-12 09:19 AM
    Skype can be found on BlackBerry phones. See the attached screen shot from my Torch.
    That is only for VZW i think and its not video enabled.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-06-12 09:33 AM
    Okay, these why does everyone hate BlackBerry threads are becoming a bit annoying now. There are many reasons why people and the media are hating on BlackBerry. It's not a witch hunt, it's the common trend. Different companies have been in this situation before, some recover and prosper, some die. It's BlackBerry's turn right now. And despite the cash in the bank, and making money right now, RIM for the last few years have been complacent. The easiest prediction for all these analyst is that RIM will continue their downward spiral of losing market share. When a company looses this much market share in so little time, they tend to receive more negative coverage. RIM needs to deal with it, not cry about being picked on.

Two companies that had the world against them in their worst hour and fought back:
    Apple - In the late 90s, every analyst you talked to said they should just break apart the company and sell it for pieces, essentially quit. Every product, including the first iMac was received with such disdain and mockery. Trying to liven up how computers looked, they went with a colourful design, and instead of admiring improving the aesthetics of a normally drab piece of electronic, they mocked it for it's assortment of colours. Read, they mocked a product not for any valid reason, but because it tried to be different in a way that no one had thought about. They had an uphill battle, now no one talks about Apple products looking silly.

Chrysler - In the early 80s, a good portion of the government and the public wanted to turn their backs to the automaker. If it was going to die, they did not want to help. Analysts screamed that no amount of money for fix the company. Not only did Chrysler come back, it came back way stronger then even those leading the company expected. They launched the Dodge Caravan, and did fine for themselves for the next decade.

Then there are companies, a much longer list of companies that failed to innovate, and failed eventually.

Palm - While WebOS still exists, it's share at the time being is negligible. They didn't innovate the way RIM did when Palm was still a force to be reckoned with.

Kodak - Move to digital?

Nortel - Series of bad management on the top brought down another Canadian technological powerhouse. With two CEOs running the company until a very short time ago, with supposedly different visions of the company, can you blame analysts for being nervous about where the company is heading. Especially when one of the CEOs famously stated that the iPhone was no threat to BlackBerry, or that it was easy to move to music. Both claims that have been so badly shattered.

RIM squandered a good thing. It released a terrible touch screen phone in response to the iPhone, and sold well because of the name only. The new 9860 is actually a good phone, but very few will go close to it now. The Bold 9000 was insanely powerful for it's time, with a 600 Mhz processor. Two years later, the Torch 9800 still had a similar processor and the CEOs felt as if they missed the tech 'Arms race'? How silly is that. With all the news about the gross missteps RIM has made, it would be silly not to assume the worse, especially when other companies have such an amazing lead. RIM and Apple destroyed Palm, even when Palm came out with WebOS, an OS that is well respected and powerful. Yeah the new BB10 might be a great product, but it might be too late. RIM may not die, but it may be regulated to the emerging markets only to sell lower end handsets.

This paranoia about why the world hates RIM really needs to stop. RIM brought themselves into this situation like so many companies have in the past. It's their job to fix it. Be it through smart marketing or great products, or hopefully both.
    03-06-12 09:45 AM
    Again - not sure how its the parents fault that the child fosters resentment.
    Hmm... Then maybe you should read the original post again. OP clearly states:

"They grew up watching their mom and/or dad paying constant attention to the BlackBerry and, by extension, little attention to them. They project that anger on to BlackBerry instead of where it belongs."

Key words here being: 'by extension' and 'project that anger'.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    03-06-12 09:56 AM
    Okay, these why does everyone hate BlackBerry threads are becoming a bit annoying now. There are many reasons why people and the media are hating on BlackBerry. It's not a witch hunt, it's the common trend. Different companies have been in this situation before, some recover and prosper, some die. It's BlackBerry's turn right now. And despite the cash in the bank, and making money right now, RIM for the last few years have been complacent. The easiest prediction for all these analyst is that RIM will continue their downward spiral of losing market share. When a company looses this much market share in so little time, they tend to receive more negative coverage. RIM needs to deal with it, not cry about being picked on.

Two companies that had the world against them in their worst hour and fought back:
    Apple - In the late 90s, every analyst you talked to said they should just break apart the company and sell it for pieces, essentially quit. Every product, including the first iMac was received with such disdain and mockery. Trying to liven up how computers looked, they went with a colourful design, and instead of admiring improving the aesthetics of a normally drab piece of electronic, they mocked it for it's assortment of colours. Read, they mocked a product not for any valid reason, but because it tried to be different in a way that no one had thought about. They had an uphill battle, now no one talks about Apple products looking silly.

Chrysler - In the early 80s, a good portion of the government and the public wanted to turn their backs to the automaker. If it was going to die, they did not want to help. Analysts screamed that no amount of money for fix the company. Not only did Chrysler come back, it came back way stronger then even those leading the company expected. They launched the Dodge Caravan, and did fine for themselves for the next decade.

Then there are companies, a much longer list of companies that failed to innovate, and failed eventually.

Palm - While WebOS still exists, it's share at the time being is negligible. They didn't innovate the way RIM did when Palm was still a force to be reckoned with.

Kodak - Move to digital?

Nortel - Series of bad management on the top brought down another Canadian technological powerhouse. With two CEOs running the company until a very short time ago, with supposedly different visions of the company, can you blame analysts for being nervous about where the company is heading. Especially when one of the CEOs famously stated that the iPhone was no threat to BlackBerry, or that it was easy to move to music. Both claims that have been so badly shattered.

RIM squandered a good thing. It released a terrible touch screen phone in response to the iPhone, and sold well because of the name only. The new 9860 is actually a good phone, but very few will go close to it now. The Bold 9000 was insanely powerful for it's time, with a 600 Mhz processor. Two years later, the Torch 9800 still had a similar processor and the CEOs felt as if they missed the tech 'Arms race'? How silly is that. With all the news about the gross missteps RIM has made, it would be silly not to assume the worse, especially when other companies have such an amazing lead. RIM and Apple destroyed Palm, even when Palm came out with WebOS, an OS that is well respected and powerful. Yeah the new BB10 might be a great product, but it might be too late. RIM may not die, but it may be regulated to the emerging markets only to sell lower end handsets.

This paranoia about why the world hates RIM really needs to stop. RIM brought themselves into this situation like so many companies have in the past. It's their job to fix it. Be it through smart marketing or great products, or hopefully both.
    Finally! The voice of reason!

Having used Palm going back to the Palm Pilot. I miss them dearly. But Darwin's law reigns supreme. Adapt or die.
    03-06-12 09:59 AM
    Hmm... Then maybe you should read the original post again. OP clearly states:

"They grew up watching their mom and/or dad paying constant attention to the BlackBerry and, by extension, little attention to them. They project that anger on to BlackBerry instead of where it belongs."

Key words here being: 'by extension' and 'project that anger'.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    But who is "they"? "They" are the children - not the parents. The children project anger - not the parents.
    03-06-12 10:01 AM
    I dont know that Chrysler is a good example of a success story since they received a government bailout in the late 70's (maybe early 80's) under Iococca and went on to get another bailout in the late 2000's. After the last bailout didnt they get bought out by Fiat? Lots of good examples of companies being down and out and then coming back - but Chrysler sadly is not one of them IMO.
    03-06-12 10:04 AM
    1) There are, I suspect, some people here receiving compensation to spread Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) about the quality of BBs and the long-term outlook for RIM.
    Yep, it's that big a threat.!!
    Last edited by xandermac; 03-07-12 at 07:54 AM.
    brucep1 likes this.
    03-06-12 10:06 AM
    Its either disappointment as an old loyal member of the blackberry community, or...
    just following the crowd. I just cannot stand the superiority complex people who need to show theirs is better than the rest.. Its just a phone you know. And if yours is so good, flaunt it in ur own forum for gods sake... why try to diminish and belittle BB phones in BB forum.. have you not better things to do? If you have been disappointed or incurr loss because of RIM bring your gripes to them and email them.. we as a community just bought their product and share our common experience and we are not RIM.
    Last edited by guzprom; 03-06-12 at 10:54 AM.
    03-06-12 10:11 AM
    But who is "they"? "They" are the children - not the parents. The children project anger - not the parents.
    Yes. And, not to beat a dead horse, the OP seems to indicate that the parents did NOT give their children the level of attention their children needed, because they were selfishly more engrossed with their BB phones(and possibly work related BB things) than they were with their own kids.

Any clearer?
    03-06-12 10:11 AM
    I love how you used a spin-off of Freud and parenting for 3). Good job! I don't understand why people seem to be so "into" one phone brand or the other. Right now, I love my BlackBerry: it's like another organ. I take it everywhere with me. But, I am currently fascinated by Android. I even have an account at Android Central because I am considering purchasing one for my brother.

Another thing: if someone does want to "bash" alternative phone choices, they shouldn't just use subjective reasoning or misunderstood context. They should actually research the brand so they can see its pros and cons (as all brands have); and so they know how to even "defend" their own brand if they want to get into a debate with someone. That being said, I love having friendly debates - but the emphasis is on "friendly." Not hate-infused or juvenile belittling. Most of my friends at home have Androids and iPhones. Ironically, I've never had a debate with them (friendly, like, "what does your phone do? Oh cool, mine doesn't do that" or "hey, let's compare apps!" and then some playful banter) about their phone choices or what made them want to purchase them. People seem to just want to bash BlackBerry or make their phone seem to be better.

Now, I'm well aware of the issues RIM has - but every phone company and device has its own faults and bonus features. So it irks me why someone wants to put down BlackBerry or another smartphone brand they don't have because they think theirs is better. Maybe it is; but only because it was the perfect fit for them and their needs. Maybe it doesn't match the needs of their friends. I like how you said "rational choice for proper reasons." If only that same analogy could apply to how they treated other smartphone users (who could easily be their friends)...
    03-06-12 10:35 AM
    c'mon guys...grab a starbucks and chill out
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-06-12 10:48 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD