05-03-09 09:40 AM
    Just goes to show yet again, people will type what they're too shy or afraid to say.
    05-03-09 09:46 AM
    WOW...never though I would see the day this was allowed. Off to twitter this.
    05-03-09 09:46 AM
    That's pretty interesting.
    05-03-09 09:52 AM
    Hubby and I got into a discussion about this. He's of the opinion that twittering (and texting) in general is stupid, pointless, and a waste of time. Allowing it in the church is allowing the church to be more "of this world" and the church should not be. It should be of the narrow path.

My opinion is that it is being done to glorify the Lord and to aid in sharing his word and understanding. Yes, there is the potential to be abused. What's to say that Joe Churchgoer is paying attention to the Lord's word and not doing something else with his blackberry (such as surfing this site ) but you'll have people who misuse their time in church in any way they can. (Hangman or tic-tac-toe, anyone?)

I agree with some of the people in this article. I think it is another tool we can use to glorify the Lord and to help others understand His word.
    05-03-09 12:07 PM
    I have "mixed" feelings. I think that if the congregation is actually tweeting about their church experience;should be allowed to tweet, take notes and blog during the service. The issue is whether the individual is being honest in what they are doing. Are they tweeting about the message? Or arte they tweeting/texting about how long the service is, how bored they are to their friends. How do you define what is appropriate and what is inappropriate? Give people an inch;they take a mile.

Technology is a good thing. With generation X and Y- you have to be more advanced in technology or they will become more bored an coplacent. Still... I am not sure the churches are not going down a path of destruction. However, the genie has been let out of its bottle;the precedent jas been set. Church goers should get used to this new way of life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 12:38 PM
    I'm not a church goer at all. So I really have no right to opinion on the subject. But all I can say is that this is another reason why I hate Twitter. This social networking thing is going to bring us to our knees one day.

The other day me and a couple of friends were out eating. And at one moment all three of us were not talking and instead had our heads down typing on our Blackberry's in a BBM chat which inlcuded us three and some other people. I looked up at them and said that this is what society is coming to. We're here sitting at the same damn table yet we're communicating through our phones. Forget that other people were in the
    BBM chat. I told them this is a sign of things to come and unfortunately we're helping fuel it by what we were doing.
    05-03-09 12:44 PM
    I have a friend that is addicted to social networking sites and it's come between our friendship. When we hangout he is constantly on facebook/twitter. It got to the point that all of our conversations revolved around him and what people were saying and doing on twitter/facebook (boring). Other friends of ours have made the same observations and we've confronted him about it but he doesn't think he has a problem.
    05-03-09 01:28 PM
    Sounds like the ol' saying "if you cant beat'em join'em". I myself am no where near a church goer though i understand people can see this as intrusive upon the values for which the church stands. How ever we all know things change as do how churches operate. Some are modern while others maintain old ways.I myself think Twitter is absolutely ridiculous and yes I tried it and was annoyed by the end of the 3rd hour. However you can't be mad at the pastor for encouraging participation through outreach. Look at it this way if people are listening and twittering the pastors message good for them, these people are the ones who go to church to learn the word of God. Now the others who attend and yet find other means of "making it through" the service are ones trying to get a ticket in by showing up . I'm guessing if the almighty above us is smarter than to think well since he's there I guess he's a good person. I would say hold to what you believe and go forth.
    05-03-09 02:17 PM
    You need something to do in church
    05-03-09 02:22 PM
    Yea i know its bad... but... I'd still do it here and there!

Twitter here i come!! WOO HOO

(I know, I know)
    05-03-09 02:24 PM
    Well if keeps me awake in church I'm all for it. At least something might sink in then.

05-03-09 08:22 PM
    What the?!? Moderator? WOW. I've been gone too long. Congrats AG!
    Last edited by pltaylor; 05-03-09 at 08:34 PM.
    05-03-09 08:25 PM
    I find twitter so boring.... Say what your doing; people comment on them.. Yay

05-03-09 08:33 PM
    Thats a touchy one... as head deacon and council member i dont think its apprpriate to tweet/txt during service. I think we can afford to spend 1hr or so without this going on in our lives. We all sneak in a comment or write a quick note here and there but to have typing/clicking sounds or other sounds going off is distacting to the ones who WANT to listen to the Lord's work. I agree technology is good but I think we can agree that there is a time and place. Updates about functions and stuff great!!!(outside of service of course) Updates about how long the sermon is or how that "one" is dressed...nope. I have even looked at my BB a few times myself, but never responded to anything. I just dont think it should be, that is the "old school" part of me I guess
    05-03-09 09:08 PM
    M.Vanderhoof : Deacon, I don't take my phone into any place of
    worship, whether it is of my faith or not.

Does technology have to creep into every facet of our lives.
    No, it doesn't. And anyone who justifies this and religion IMO
    completely misses the point of religion.
    05-03-09 10:33 PM
    Mixed feelings on this. It's that fine line between share/overshare.
    05-03-09 11:16 PM
    M.Vanderhoof : Deacon, I don't take my phone into any place of
    worship, whether it is of my faith or not.

Does technology have to creep into every facet of our lives.
    No, it doesn't. And anyone who justifies this and religion IMO
    completely misses the point of religion.
    Ditto......when we get to the church parking lot I make sure everyone has their cell phone turned OFF. My husband leaves his home and the boys (13,16,17) leave them in their pockets or else they are gone for a week. My bb is turned off as well.

05-03-09 11:41 PM
    Meh.

Of course I don't set foot in a church except for weddings, funerals and christenings so I suppose my opinion doesn't count, but still, meh. If the pastor okayed it, then he's the only opinion who matters...

05-04-09 07:44 AM
    You've got to be kidding me, what is this world coming to?
    05-04-09 08:02 AM
    I'm not a church goer at all. So I really have no right to opinion on the subject. But all I can say is that this is another reason why I hate Twitter. This social networking thing is going to bring us to our knees one day.

The other day me and a couple of friends were out eating. And at one moment all three of us were not talking and instead had our heads down typing on our Blackberry's in a BBM chat which inlcuded us three and some other people. I looked up at them and said that this is what society is coming to. We're here sitting at the same damn table yet we're communicating through our phones. Forget that other people were in the
    BBM chat. I told them this is a sign of things to come and unfortunately we're helping fuel it by what we were doing.
    And have you resolved to stop doing that? Or are you one of those who just complain about it?
    05-04-09 08:06 AM
    As for our church a lot of times our youth pastor uses it. To send mesages out during church about the mesage the pastor is saying so it helps out more to understand

05-04-09 08:12 AM
    It's not the church service or the packaging of the message that's sacred, it's the message itself. So why not text and tweet in church? Why not have screens with scrolling crawl lines of relevant information during a sermon like CNN does when they report a story? Why not coffee shops and wi-fi with streaming video/audio? That's this generation's normal life What's different about church that we should need to step back into 1940 technology as soon as we enter the church doors?

I am not a big social networking fan (no Facebook or Twitter account!) but I am a regular and passionate church-goer, play music in our worship team, and am on the church Board in a decision-making role. I'm all for this stuff in church. But I'm probably not typical - someone told me recently I'm the only 59-year old he knows who can teach a 14-year-old to program a cell phone :-)

05-04-09 08:17 AM
    How about your somewhere where it would be OK to grab a newspaper and start doing the daily crossword or soduku its probably OK to do some IM, emailing, facebooking or twittering?

I wish I could remember who made this suggestion but it has been a good one to explain to my kids when it's OK to change your focus away from the people that are with you to the people who are remote.

But in business meetings if anybodys BB activity, talking or even doodling distracts me or others, I will stop the meeting until they are done. Do it once at it doesn't happen again.
    05-04-09 08:28 AM
    And have you resolved to stop doing that? Or are you one of those who just complain about it?
    Read the last sentence of my quote. If you couldn't make it out, I was admitting that I contribute to it. If my simple words that are put into complete sentences don't make sense to you, have someone explain it to you next time.

05-04-09 08:59 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD