When I have previously entered my password asterisks come up on the screen and the screen is unlocked. Now the actual characters are coming up. I suppose I have tried nine times, because it says that it is my final attempt after this attempt It will wipe my data. So for now I'm not touching the thing. Please help how can I fix this before my blackberry crashes.
    02-25-08 09:04 AM
    When I have previously entered my password asterisks come up on the screen and the screen is unlocked. Now the actual characters are coming up. I suppose I have tried nine times, because it says that it is my final attempt after this attempt It will wipe my data. So for now I'm not touching the thing. Please help how can I fix this before my blackberry crashes.
    Yikes! I'd be a little scared to. Not sure if this will work or not and I take no responsibility if it goes wrong but if it works you can tell everyone, but if it were me... I'd try a battery pull. It might reset your password count back to zero or fix the character issue. Maybe not.
    02-25-08 09:16 AM
    Make sure that your Caps or Num isn't on.

If you are on your final attempt, be careful. You have one more try until it wipes everything from your berry. This happened to me, and I had to get a whole new BB through AT&T.
    02-25-08 09:17 AM
    Yikes! I'd be a little scared to. Not sure if this will work or not and I take no responsibility if it goes wrong but if it works you can tell everyone, but if it were me... I'd try a battery pull. It might reset your password count back to zero or fix the character issue. Maybe not.
    No no no!! Battery pull is bad. That counts as a "try". BlackBerry is smart, and it knows when you're trying to fool the system. When you pull during a Security Lock, it counts the shutdown as a password attempt.
    02-25-08 09:18 AM
    I will try the battery pull but I have a feeling there's something terribly wrong here. Thx
    02-25-08 09:18 AM
    Thank God it didn't count it but it didn't work either
    02-25-08 09:20 AM
    I don't understand why it is suddenly displaying the characters I enter
    02-25-08 09:22 AM
    I don't understand why it is suddenly displaying the characters I enter
    It wants you to see if you are mistyping something or entering the wrong characters/password.
    02-25-08 09:29 AM
    I am on the phone with technical support. LOL They are more confused than I am
    02-25-08 09:33 AM
    Before you go any farther, I would try and do a backup. This way if you do loose your data, at least you have the back-up. You should be able to reload the OS after and restore your data.
    02-25-08 09:33 AM
    Before you go any farther, I would try and do a backup. This way if you do loose your data, at least you have the back-up. You should be able to reload the OS after and restore your data.
    Good advice, I was going to say do a full backup, make sure it backs up your password store (i assume this is what you are trying to open).
    No idea how to fix it though, sorry.
    02-25-08 10:50 AM
    Here's the kicker tho Pete. When you try to get into DM it wants your password if you have it password locked. So I think this guy has a slim chance of getting out of this pickel. I don't like to be negitive but....
    02-25-08 11:07 AM
    Click... I wasn't sure if he could, since I don't password protect mine for this reason. So I've never seen that in DT Manager. He hasn't posted back since he was on with CS. We'll see if he got this resolved.
    02-25-08 11:28 AM
    Pete...I have my BB password protected and I can tell you on PocketMac, I had to add the password to the PM program to allow the computer and BB to sync w/o complication.

I'm guessing the same thing might apply here.
    02-25-08 11:59 AM
    V... thanks for the FYI!
    02-25-08 12:21 PM
    i have exactly this same problem, did you manage to fix it with out disabling the Black Berry?
    06-16-08 12:40 PM
    As soon as u plug that bb in and it associates itself with dm, it will ask u 4 the pw. Actually, that may not b such a bad thing. U may hav more success entering ur pw on a regular keyboard if u know what it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-08 05:22 PM
    I think when you plug it to the computer via USB, it will give you 10 tries regardless of how many tries you have entered on your BB...check though I am not too sure now

But if you enter the 10th time wrong, it's gonna wipe it...
    06-16-08 05:31 PM
    If your berry is password protected and you are connecting to desktop manager all passwords attempts will count towards your total number of tries. Trust me! I almost bricked my berry once!

06-17-08 08:05 AM
    I wiped all the info on my bb like that a lil over a month ago. Changed my pw. til this day hav know idea what I changed it 2. Entered it wrong on the device 9 times. Hooked it up 2 the pc and it prompted me for my 10th attempt. I still hav a bitter taste in my mouth about that.happens 2 the best of us I guess.

06-17-08 08:48 AM
    when you enter the wrong password mine always asks me to enter blackberry then type the password again and when i would type blackberry and then the password the characters would always show up. is it asking you to enter blackberry before you re-enter the password
    06-17-08 08:52 AM
    I joined the forum for this thread only...(and I know it's about 1.5 years old)

I had this problem tonight and the solution *SHOULD BE* pretty simple. Basically, if you've set a password on the BB and hook it up to your computer, it's going to ask you to enter your password.

NOTE** If you HAVEN'T entered a password ever and it prompts you for one, it MAY be "0000" but I don't know, I only know for the case if you HAD put in a password

Anyway...between your computer attempts and phone attempts you have 10 tries. TOTAL. If you mess up the 10th, you're done. ATT can't help you. It's a security feature. If your computer prompts for the password, type it in for whatever you typed in as your regular phone password. On the BB, it will have you "enter 'blackberry' to continue:' (enter blackberry, obviously) then enter your password. You'll notice that it WILL NOT have asterisks. Again, just type in your password.

Now, I think everything I've said here has probably been mentioned on this forum- here's what I want to add because it is what almost caused me to lose everything:

My password consisted of 4 Numbers. FOR EXAMPLE, let's say my password was 1234 (just typing in the numbers, not pressing 'alt'). If I was on the computer, I may type in "1234" and it would be WRONG. If I was on my phone, it would show me the password as wers (because W is 1 on the keyboard, 2 is E etc...). SO...my password, and I didn't realize it till (Thank goodness) on the VERY LAST try was NOT the numbers as I thought it was, but rather was the letters that corresponded to these numbers.

If this saves just one person's agony, I will be glad.

Good luck!
    goodsidd and Ellie98 like this.
    07-28-09 11:16 PM
    Hey Im still a BB nub so general question. Is the memory wipe a built in security function? I have my BB passworded just in case someone steals it or loses cant make much use of it. But what if something dumb happens (friend tries to crack it or me hitting keys as its in my pocket) does that wipe it?
    07-29-09 02:04 AM
    after 10 unsuccessfull attempts your device will definetly got wiped. This 10 attempts counts both PC and BB attempts.
    07-29-09 02:30 AM
    Yes password is a built in security function. Your BB should automatically locked the screen after a certain time, if not just hold the asterisk down until it locks your keys. However if a password is set your keys should lock anywhere between a minute to 5 minute. You can set that on your BB. Otherwise just hold the asterisk until your Blackberry locks.

I always unlock my BB before I let my friends use it so they don't know it's locked and any friend who's going to fool around with your BB like that is not a friend!
    07-29-09 02:34 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD