The iPad is a tablet...the Passport is a phone...
    Phablet.......phablet! Not just a phone.....and definitely not an iphone.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 12:06 PM
    I like this BB passport
    07-02-14 12:57 PM
    Phablet.......phablet! Not just a phone.....and definitely not an iphone.

Posted via CB10

Ok...but it's still a phone and is meant as a phone...you're making no sense here
    07-02-14 01:47 PM
    I think about 60-70% of those in the US don't have a passport and have never held one.
    Interesting side-note: many American's who have never had a passport have, nevertheless, traveled greater distances in their life than many Europeans that have had their passports stamped lots of times.

One of the benefits of living in a huge-a55 country.
    homer1475 likes this.
    07-02-14 02:29 PM
    They have the feature in BB10 already, at least on the Z10. Clicking on the box in the upper right hand corner lets you toggle between wide screen, wide screen zoom and full screen. I would guess that feature would be available on the Passport
    I have the Z30...been nothing but a BlackBerry guy since the BlackBerry 8800.
    I know the button you talk about. Since I have never watched anything but Youtube videos I have not had the occasion to use that button. Will try with a video with a different aspect ratio. If It works the way you suggested on the passport then it's a golden device...

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 03:10 PM
    Holy sheesh! That thing is wide. Looks really awkward
    You might just fall in love with it when you try it live in person.
    07-02-14 03:13 PM
    They have the feature in BB10 already, at least on the Z10. Clicking on the box in the upper right hand corner lets you toggle between wide screen, wide screen zoom and full screen. I would guess that feature would be available on the Passport
    Just tried it. Yes you are correct. It resizes the video even in portrait mode to fill the screen. Just tried with a video I had made in landscape mode. I watched it in portrait mode and pressed the button it filled the screen. I guess that should take care of the video issue.
    Thanks for reminding me of that.. cheers

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 03:13 PM
    I agree. I would like to see it next to a Lumia 1520. I'm sure that it's not as tall as a Lumia 1520, but I'm hoping that it's not nearly as wide either.

I'm willing to bet that the Passport is wider than the 1520. Looks it. Even if it's not, it's the general shape that makes it awkward
    07-02-14 05:32 PM
    It looks uncomfortably wide to me.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    ajst222 and RH1Pearl like this.
    07-02-14 05:43 PM
    I would be very interested if you put a post together with info on the marketing that is happening. I have not seen it anywhere, and I know if you have some inside info to share, that thread would blow up with HUGE interest.
    At least one of the videos I've seen on this showed JC referring to it as a phablet.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    07-02-14 09:55 PM
    Attachment 281782

Posted via CB10
    I thought you were going to show an iPhone 6 but instead your showing an old iPhone 5 which will be history in September, but wait isn't the ugly Passport supposed to be come out then too?

The one good thing about which ever iPhone you put up against the Passport is that the iPhone has a usable and simple keyboard that you can get to all of it's functions without have to put have the keyboard above the keyboard. LOL
    07-03-14 05:13 AM
    I remember when many here were so proud that they could do everything one handed with their BlackBerry Curves and Bold, they kind laughed at us STORM users are anyone using an all Touch device.....

It is a very "large" device... I've never used a Q10. Just wonder about all the wasted space when content like movies are played or when you use Android Apps that don't allow for the 1x1 format. Seems like if they had made a SLIDER the size of the S5, it would have allowed the screen to be used fully and been able to be used one handed.

Of course this was most likely taught up long before BlackBerry threw in the towel on building an ecosystem....
    I thought of this as well.

When the Z10 came out I praised its dimensions as well as BB10, the gestures and keyboard for being so one hand friendly. And I still do it to this day, dismissing all Android flagships because of their horrible dimensions and Androids stupid UX which makes one handed use even more difficult.

Now as the Passport is leaked all my dimension fears disappeared and I just want to have it.

So the very personal question came up: "Am I a delusional fanboy?"

So I thought about and I think I came to a conclusion. Which is that beside its horrible width the Passport manages to heavily deliver on other fronts opposed to the competition, which might compensate the downsides for me better than any Android device.

I consider the Passport to sit in an absolute sweet spot in terms of size, handling, pocketability and content.

I'd just like to compare it to a Galaxy Note 3. The Galaxy Note 3 has a 5.5" screen which is a massive inch bigger than the Passport. The device also has much more height at 151 mm vs 127 mm of the Passport. So to keep it short: the Note 3 is by far the largest popular mainstream phone on the planet. BUT yet the shorter side of its display delivers much less size in pixels (1080 vs 1440) as well as physically (12 mm less!). That means even the biggest phone on the market always underdelivers on size in one dimension opposed to the Passport, let alone HTCs, LGs, Sonys, iPhones or the regular Galaxy S series. Now one might say it tops the Passport in the other dimension - but what kind of content is it really where this is a significant advantage? RIGHT: video ONLY. Yet to capitalize on this, you'll always have to reorient that big phone back and forth. At the same time the Passport is only 4 mms taller than an iPhone 5S, the smalles popular main stream phone in the market space and therefore much more pocketable. My conclusion is for 95% of all imaginable content the Passport crushes any phone on the market.
    Prem WatsApp and AbAll87 like this.
    07-03-14 06:29 AM

When the Z10 came out I praised its dimensions as well as BB10, the gestures and keyboard for being so one hand friendly. And I still do it to this day, dismissing all Android flagships because of their horrible dimensions and Androids stupid UX which makes one handed use even more difficult.

Now as the Passport is leaked all my dimension fears disappeared and I just want to have it.

Definitely like your post! I have been asking myself the same thing!!! Am I a delusional fanboy?

But I can't say all dimension fears are gone yet buy I really want to try to the passport! There's 95% chance I'm getting it when it comes out!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 06:49 AM
    I thought you were going to show an iPhone 6 but instead your showing an old iPhone 5 which will be history in September, but wait isn't the ugly Passport supposed to be come out then too?

The one good thing about which ever iPhone you put up against the Passport is that the iPhone has a usable and simple keyboard that you can get to all of it's functions without have to put have the keyboard above the keyboard. LOL
    Yup. A keyboard with a fourth of the screen size of the Passport, leaving content real estate of also one fourth of the size of the Passort screen. When the virtual symbol keyboard is displayed on the Passport, the remaining screen real estate above it is almost big enough to display an entire iPhone 5 display in landscape lol.

So what's your point? :-P
    AbAll87, acovey and neteng1000 like this.
    07-03-14 06:52 AM
    Can't put it in your pocket or hold in your hand, put velcro on the back and stick it where you can

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 07:41 AM
    I think about 60-70% of those in the US don't have a passport and have never held one.
    Sad. That means they never traveled anywhere far to get to know other cultures. With known results.

I encourage those to try it. Italy or Germany may be a good place to start; if you want the familiarity of speaking the same language, try the UK or Australia.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    07-03-14 07:46 AM
    Interesting side-note: many American's who have never had a passport have, nevertheless, traveled greater distances in their life than many Europeans that have had their passports stamped lots of times.

One of the benefits of living in a huge-a55 country.
    Off-topic, but no one in the European Union had any passports stamped in the last ten years, a national ID card is enough to get you from Portugal to Germany and beyond. No border controls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

07-03-14 08:02 AM

So I thought about and I think I came to a conclusion. Which is that beside its horrible width the Passport manages to heavily deliver on other fronts opposed to the competition, which might compensate the downsides for me better than any Android device.

I consider the Passport to sit in an absolute sweet spot in terms of size, handling, pocketability and content.

I'd just like to compare it to a Galaxy Note 3. The Galaxy Note 3 has a 5.5" screen which is a massive inch bigger than the Passport. The device also has much more height at 151 mm vs 127 mm of the Passport. So to keep it short: the Note 3 is by far the largest popular mainstream phone on the planet. BUT yet the shorter side of its display delivers much less size in pixels (1080 vs 1440) as well as physically (12 mm less!). That means even the biggest phone on the market always underdelivers on size in one dimension opposed to the Passport, let alone HTCs, LGs, Sonys, iPhones or the regular Galaxy S series. Now one might say it tops the Passport in the other dimension - but what kind of content is it really where this is a significant advantage? RIGHT: video ONLY. Yet to capitalize on this, you'll always have to reorient that big phone back and forth. At the same time the Passport is only 4 mms taller than an iPhone 5S, the smalles popular main stream phone in the market space and therefore much more pocketable. My conclusion is for 95% of all imaginable content the Passport crushes any phone on the market.
    You pretty much nailed it with this comment.

Yes, it's only video. For anything text-based, the wide screen with ample vertical space is much better suited.

16:9 in landscape requires a lot of scrolling and you see only a minuscule part of the whole page, e.g. PDF manuals.

Happy to be a "delusional fanboy" if I can read my websites and PDFs with ease...

07-03-14 08:07 AM
    It looks uncomfortably wide to me.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    thats what she said!
    07-03-14 08:45 AM

"crushes any phone on the market". I'm sure a lot of Z30 users would beg to differ.
    07-03-14 08:53 AM
    "crushes any phone on the market". I'm sure a lot of Z30 users would beg to differ.
    Well the Z30 screen is 62.3 mm wide or tall on its shorter side depending on its orientation, showing 720 pixels.

The Passport on its 'shorter' side is 80.8 mm wide, showing 1,440 pixels.

So.....whoever prefers a Z30, does it due to personal preference. But it's undeniable that the Passport has its clear superiorities opposed to any phone out there.

Just for the record:
    The Note 3 isn't 5.5", but even 5.7". Which makes the display 71 mm wide in portrait mode, which is still almost 10 mm less than the Passport.
    07-03-14 09:59 AM
    I will probably get the Passport. I will just have to adjust to not putting it in my pocket, or using it one handed. I am assuming.
    07-03-14 10:33 AM
    Can you not just turn an iPhone 4 or 4S sideways to get an idea of this phone's width? Even with that won't it by slightly wider due to the bezel around the screen? I've done this and this phone is going to be near impossible to use one handed let alone fit in your pocket which are big turnoffs for me.

I could be wrong in that comparison though but if that's correct this phone is going to be so awkward to hold.
    07-03-14 12:58 PM
    Can you not just turn an iPhone 4 or 4S sideways to get an idea of this phone's width? Even with that won't it by slightly wider due to the bezel around the screen? I've done this and this phone is going to be near impossible to use one handed let alone fit in your pocket which are big turnoffs for me.

I could be wrong in that comparison though but if that's correct this phone is going to be so awkward to hold.
    You do realize the iPhone adds around 40mms of housing to its overall width, right?

EDIT: 41.2 mm to be exact.
    07-03-14 01:28 PM
    ...and what country might that be?

Not mine that is for sure...
    That is NL

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 01:31 PM
98 1234