So before anyone thinks I don't like my Passport let me stop you. I LOVE my passport, it's awesome for everything I do with one exception, one handed use. I find there are times when I just need it. I'll explain, I'm a carpenter, working on a ladder or roof is one example of the times I need one hand use. I'm thinking to buy a Classic for work and use my passport for all other times.

My dilemmas are
    1) I'm concerned I will miss all I love about the Passport like speed, screen size, everything just working right and fast and I love the capacitive keyboard.

2) The idea of not having everything in one place.

So I'm asking if anyone that has used both can give some insight as to the difference I will notice in question #1, and if there is a way to sync 2 phones to always have the same info, like notes, calendar, contacts without physically plugging in both phones.

I am waiting for the Slider to see what specs and keyboard it will have and also if it will be more one-handed than Passport is. I have large hands and can squeeze out a short reply one-handed on the Passport but not anything long.

Any help is appreciated

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 03:21 PM
    You will lose on specs - badly. Screen realstate - badly - battery life - badly. No fancy keyboard either.

Why is all I got to ask... Why? For a toolbelt than doesn't really help you that much?

Ah, I see. I get it.

If you have all your stuff working over the cloud and add the same accounts to both devices, then you'll have the same stuff on both. Evernote for notes, Outlook.com for email/Calendar/Contacts/tasks (there are plenty of other cloud based tasks apps, but this service syncs to Remember), Gmail for Calendar/Contacts, BOx/DropBox/OneDrive for files... Plenty of ways.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off with a Z30 or Q10. Cheaper devices that will do you just as well - and actually have specs that either match or outclass the Classic.
    06-04-15 03:32 PM
    Im on the sameeee boat. But when I went to verizon to compare, the pixels were not as clear. And the battery probably wont be as good...still considering

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 04:25 PM
    Im on the sameeee boat. But when I went to verizon to compare, the pixels were not as clear. And the battery probably wont be as good...still considering
    You can't really compare 720x720 res (294 ppi) with 1440x1440 res (453 ppi)... Battery should be close since lower specs on Classic mean less of a drain.
    06-04-15 07:41 PM
    I absolutely love my Classic! Grant it, the smaller screen/resolution is an acquired taste, however, I personally, have no need for a device that large. While I found certain specs and functions of the Passport alluring, it just wasn't enough to compensate for the overall uncomfortable shape. Too large. The Classic is the perfect size, the keyboard far more comfortable and the ability to access/bang out what I need to in a few seconds and then be done with it and move on to my day. I just don't spend that much time craning over my phone screen to be caught up with resolution and pixels.

The Classic's camera is subpar and it's a bit poky RE: processor tasks vs the Passport. Those are probably the biggest complaints I'd lodge against it. The touch function on the Passport's keyboard IS innovative a sexy spin and modernization of the physical keyboard, but I personally still prefer the toolbelt and track pad myself. I'm very much happy with my Classic.

For the above reasons I favor the Classic over the Passport. It's better suited for my needs and the keyboard and comfort trump the shiny specs for me. The Classic just feels natural to me Like it was meant to be...

Posted via CB10
    Robert Bitter likes this.
    06-04-15 07:56 PM
    I absolutely love my Classic! Grant it, the smaller screen/resolution is an acquired taste, however, I personally, have no need for a device that large. While I found certain specs and functions of the Passport alluring, it just wasn't enough to compensate for the overall uncomfortable shape. Too large. The Classic is the perfect size, the keyboard far more comfortable and the ability to access/bang out what I need to in a few seconds and then be done with it and move on to my day. I just don't spend that much time craning over my phone screen to be caught up with resolution and pixels.

The Classic's camera is subpar and it's a bit poky RE: processor tasks vs the Passport. Those are probably the biggest complaints I'd lodge against it. The touch function on the Passport's keyboard IS innovative a sexy spin and modernization of the physical keyboard, but I personally still prefer the toolbelt and track pad myself. I'm very much happy with my Classic.

For the above reasons I favor the Classic over the Passport. It's better suited for my needs and the keyboard and comfort trump the shiny specs for me. The Classic just feels natural to me Like it was meant to be...

Posted via CB10
    You are proof that BlackBerry is achieving perfection in its ability to integrate older spec'd hardware with its dynamic BB10. I have experienced the power of the Passport and remain impressed. My daily driver is still my now 2 year old Q10

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry OS 10.3.2.798 on Q10
    06-04-15 08:56 PM
    The biggest hassle would be switching sim cards. I swapped sim cards between phones before and finally just got annoyed. I decided then to get a second line under a family plan. I used one phone for calls and another for messaging. At the time I had a Samsung flip phone and a Curve as my email and messaging phone.

Eventually I got a Z10 and a Bold, then went on to the Passport. I keep my emails synced to both phones so I can read them on any of the two, but when I have to edit or reply, I use the Passport.

Just suggestions based on my experience.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 11:12 PM
    I was in the same position, I had the Passport and wanted the Classic. My mom got the Classic, and I helped her set it up and got to see it myself. This was a couple months ago, but then the Classic came to T-Mobile, and I just had to get one.

There is no way to keep your phones exactly in-sync, in terms of notes (that I'm aware of). I don't use Evernote or anything like that, so maybe that's something you could look at. What DOES sync is your emails. I use iCloud and Outlook, and they both get the same emails, if one is with me and the other phone is home and on WiFi. If you store your contacts to your sim card, your contacts' phone numbers with be on whichever phone you're on, but more detailed stuff has to be inputted (not every time you switch).

Stuff like web browser bookmarks, settings, etc. do not sync. BBM is easily switch from one phone to the other so you can keep your contact list current. If you become BBM friends with someone while on one phone, when you sign into BBM on your other phone, they are still your friend there too.

The Passport is an awesome phone, though of course the size and shape are not for everyone. The battery is great, and once you get used to the keyboard (and it does take a few weeks of solid use..), you find yourself flicking words and swiping back to delete (something I sometimes now do on my Classic out of habit).

The screen resolution on the Classic is fine. I honestly cannot tell any major difference between it and the Passport. It's not like the Classic displays round stuff as jagged. Maybe if you got out a magnifying glass and stared at icons, but not to any normal person. The speaker is fine on the Classic and the Passport too, but neither phone has as good of a speaker as the ones on the Z30, which by far has the best speaker of any BlackBerry I've ever owned.

The battery life is not as long as the Passport's, but that isn't saying much, since the Passport's battery is like... unreal. It's ridiculous how long the Passport battery lasts, and even after full day of use (web, browser, calls, etc.) the Classic has never died.

The Classic takes good photos. I mean, I'm not talking like stuff I'd submit to National Geographic or anything, but for the food pictures, pictures of places, people, things, etc., it does more than a good job.

As far as the lag or whatever people have experienced, I personally have not experienced this, though my mom's text inbox on her Classic, which has texts from MARCH (it's now June), is a bit laggy, which I can understand.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it was helpful. It is a weird situation that we Passport users find themselves in, because we feel like we have the "best" BlackBerry ever, but also want that feeling of home and familiarity that the Classic aims to provide, but we don't want to sacrifice everything we've come to view as standard on the Passport. I can say that I am glad I got the Classic in addition to my black and my red Passports, because the Classic is like the perfect bridge between the 9900 (loved that thing) and the modern OS. I know some people have complained about the trackpad's implementation if they're coming directly from a Bold, and it's been years since I have used one, but if you are already on BlackBerry 10 and are familiar with the trackpad from "the good ol' days," you'll see that the trackpad (and the whole tool belt, really) is implemented perfectly ... I just wish it lit up.

Anyways, I hope this answers any questions.
    06-05-15 12:13 AM
    Just go for the classic is suits all your needs and swapping the sim card on a daily basis is a pain passport owners you know what I mean how many times can you remove a passport cover before it finally breaks

Passport,Q10,red Z10,Z30, bold 9900
    06-05-15 12:38 AM
    Thanx for all the replies. This is what I needed to help decide. For the record I am a long time BlackBerry user, Since 2003, and my previous phone was the Q10 which I still have, double typing got the best of me and although I purchased a new keypad I have yet to install it since I don't use it really. I don't have any desire for the toolbelt but if it's there I'm sure old habits will show themselves. I also would have 2 lines, no sim switching and I do use Evernote, although not regularly, I could train myself to use it exclusively. The Q10 is just way too small now which is another fear I have about the classic. Make no mistake I am fully using this amazing keyboard, I love how it flows and will miss it on the classic. I was very intrigued by the Z30 however after using one for almost a month I can honestly say I don't like VKB's at all, even the best one on the planet is no match for this PKB in my opinion. Thanks again for the help.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 05:22 AM
    I got a passport but considering getting a classic..... Someone please talk me off the cliff!!

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 06:05 AM
    Seriously, go for it.

I tried the Classic after the Passport but decided on getting another Passport instead because they didn't have a Classic in stock and I was itching to get another bb10 phone with a keyboard... nah, I really wanted a second Passport.

The classic is really well built though. If you want another phone that gives a better experience than the older Bold, at least that's what I thought when I tried it out, then it will be the best decision you will make. I loved my Bold but there was just something about the Passport I couldn't shake.

Good luck! Go for it!

SQW 100-3 10.3.1.1955
    06-05-15 07:03 AM
    What do you use for email service? I use Office 365 and it syncs email, calendar, contacts and notes are synched to the the Remember app. Gmail,Yahoo, and Outlook.com also do this although I am not sure about gmail and synching notes.

You cannot run the same BBID on both phones at the same time which means you will have to purchase your apps again which is unfortunate. There would be no easy way to synch your password keeper either with two different BBIDs.

I use OneNote on my PC and the OneNote Android app will now run on BB10.3.x which I find is good in a pinch but I wish BlackBerry would integrate OneNote into Remember like they do with EverNote.
    06-05-15 07:45 AM
    I have both a passport that I got back in November and now a classic that I've been using for a month. Honestly I've learned that specs on paper don't mean anything compared to time in hand. No specs will compare these two phones equally. Yet, my passport which I do love is sitting in my bag with no sim in it while I use my classic. The reasons, and they are unique to me. I love the compact size, I like the classic keyboard 10 times better (asside from a warranty replacement I had to get). And although specs show the screen resolution disparity I honestly can't see any improvement in the screen other than size. They both look just as clear in real use to me. The last and biggest issue though. Even though the passport camera has higher specs I get sharper and better action shots with the classic, plus it's easier to hold for shooting. Real world use, specs be damn I like my classic better than my passport.

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    06-06-15 07:03 AM
    If you type or message a lot, then go get the Classic. It just makes everything easier when communicating. I have both the Classic and the Passport, and it's the Classic that gets my daily use. The Passport I just whip out mainly for browsing, looking at media, and taking photos.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 06:03 PM
    Interesting thread and very similar points here that I could also bring to the table. I have both the Classic and the Passport and I find that the Classic has the far more enjoyable keyboard. It just simply works very well and I find that the Classic keyboard actually encourages me to type more than the Passport keyboard, which I found had me banging out shorter messages due to thumb and hand fatigue!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 11:59 AM
    Lol I want a classic from T-Mobile just to support the Blackberry cause.
    Very nice device. I have never held a Passport so I wouldn't know until I get one later this year.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 01:13 PM
    Lol I want a classic from T-Mobile just to support the Blackberry cause.
    Very nice device. I have never held a Passport so I wouldn't know until I get one later this year.

Posted via CB10
    What kind of device are you currently using?

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 01:18 PM
    I have both a passport that I got back in November and now a classic that I've been using for a month. Honestly I've learned that specs on paper don't mean anything compared to time in hand. No specs will compare these two phones equally. Yet, my passport which I do love is sitting in my bag with no sim in it while I use my classic. The reasons, and they are unique to me. I love the compact size, I like the classic keyboard 10 times better (asside from a warranty replacement I had to get). And although specs show the screen resolution disparity I honestly can't see any improvement in the screen other than size. They both look just as clear in real use to me. The last and biggest issue though. Even though the passport camera has higher specs I get sharper and better action shots with the classic, plus it's easier to hold for shooting. Real world use, specs be damn I like my classic better than my passport.

Posted via CB10
    Could you elaborate more on this? How do you find the Classic camera compares to the Passport's camera?
    04-01-16 07:39 PM
    What do you use for email service? I use Office 365 and it syncs email, calendar, contacts and notes are synched to the the Remember app. Gmail,Yahoo, and Outlook.com also do this although I am not sure about gmail and synching notes.

You cannot run the same BBID on both phones at the same time which means you will have to purchase your apps again which is unfortunate. There would be no easy way to synch your password keeper either with two different BBIDs.

I use OneNote on my PC and the OneNote Android app will now run on BB10.3.x which I find is good in a pinch but I wish BlackBerry would integrate OneNote into Remember like they do with EverNote.
    You can use the same BBID on all your BlackBerry phones. I have a Z10, Z30, Passport and Classic. All use the same BBID and if you purchase an app for one it can load on all.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    04-02-16 09:53 AM
    I have a Passport and a Q10 and quite regularly swap between the two. I find I use my Q10 more than I thought I would as it just feels great to hold and for email, music etc it does the job well. I've never had the classic and I don't really see point as I have a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 10:01 AM
    Have owned all three BB10 pkb phones...Q10, Classic, and now Passport SE. Overall Passport is still the best. Main reasons: screen size and especially it's resolution and brightness, processor is noticeably faster, keyboard is slightly more comfortable to use, speakers are better. The camera is supposed to be a lot better but frankly I don't notice much a difference. Maybe it's a software issue. The only things I miss about Q10 and Classic are the form factor (although I wish they could have done better with the screen size and quality) and particularly on the Classic, the toolbelt.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 11:54 AM
    Have owned all three BB10 pkb phones...Q10, Classic, and now Passport SE. Overall Passport is still the best. Main reasons: screen size and especially it's resolution and brightness, processor is noticeably faster, keyboard is slightly more comfortable to use, speakers are better. The camera is supposed to be a lot better but frankly I don't notice much a difference. Maybe it's a software issue. The only things I miss about Q10 and Classic are the form factor (although I wish they could have done better with the screen size and quality) and particularly on the Classic, the toolbelt.

Posted via CB10
    Could you elaborate about the camera on the SE vs the Classic? Any significant differences?
    04-02-16 12:14 PM
    Could you elaborate about the camera on the SE vs the Classic? Any significant differences?
    The camera on the Classic takes faster pictures...much less time waiting for the camera to focus. Sure we are only talking a second or two. But it makes a difference under duress or if you have a lot of photos to take. I found that generally the pictures Classic (and Q10) tended to be better quality (even though on Passport the resolution is better) because for me at least, faster focus is a pretty important issue when trying to get a decent photo. That has been my experience, others may feel differently.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 02:14 PM