The slowness is due to being first android OS by Blackberry and crappy coding. The hardware was just fine in reality
    Yeah I had a 810 (by some accounts at that time suppose to be worse than the 808) powered Droid Turbo 2 and it was a joy to use. Thing just wasn't water proof.....

While it might get a little warm on GPS with mapping, battery life (coming from the Z10) was amazing.... nightly charge was all it needed.
    07-22-19 03:21 PM
    The slowness is due to being first android OS by Blackberry and crappy coding. The hardware was just fine in reality
    I could partially believe that.

The 808 also just didn't have a great reputation
    07-22-19 03:23 PM
    Ooooo 6GB of RAM. probably a 6737T at that price point
    07-22-19 03:25 PM
    Ooooo 6GB of RAM. probably a 6737T at that price point
    which is like a 4xx qualcomm
    07-22-19 03:31 PM
    which is like a 4xx qualcomm
    I want a 8++ Qualcomm if shelling out $15
    07-22-19 07:09 PM
    Well then all BlackBerry Mobile have to do it re-code it with Android Pie and BOOM!
    I am unfortunately afraid that all BBMo will do is let go the part of users which wanted to desperately a passport with android to jump on a crowd funded project (including me)
    The so much rumored blackberry key 3 which should have had bigger screen and keyboard and other dream specs stays a rumor or even less, a dream of the community...
    07-23-19 03:02 AM
    Octa-core 2ghz, LTE, Android 9.0 Confirmed on their facebook page
    07-23-19 07:33 AM
    I am unfortunately afraid that all BBMo will do is let go the part of users which wanted to desperately a passport with android to jump on a crowd funded project (including me)
    The so much rumored blackberry key 3 which should have had bigger screen and keyboard and other dream specs stays a rumor or even less, a dream of the community...
    I'm excited for those that wanted to see a Passport.... but I don't really blame BBMo for not doing a Passport, a Curve or a PRIV. These are all niche devices within a niche.

Now if Unihertz sell a few million phones, then yes BBMo was wrong. But my guess is they'll be doing good to sell 20K units. This is more a novelty project than something most would want to use as their daily driver.
    07-23-19 07:48 AM
    Octa-core 2ghz, LTE, Android 9.0 Confirmed on their facebook page
    Got to be Mediatek, then; bargain basement phones advertising "octa-core CPU" invariably end up afflicted with those CPUs.

Also, if this isn't just a mailing list gathering campaign and actually comes to market, it might ship Pie before TCL would.
    howarmat and Mecca EL like this.
    07-23-19 08:28 AM
    Got to be Mediatek, then; bargain basement phones advertising "octa-core CPU" invariably end up afflicted with those CPUs.

Also, if this isn't just a mailing list gathering campaign and actually comes to market, it might ship Pie before TCL would.
    Might be lucky if it is a Mdiatek chip.... think the Unihertz Atom used the same specs, and I can't find any info on who's chip it is.

But bottom line folks were mostly happy with the tiny Atom. There were a few reviews complained of the sluggishness of the chip. But for the most part people were happy with the performance of the sub $300 phone. Now if Unihertz called it a premium phone and charged $600+ for it, I expect users might have been more critical of it.
    07-23-19 08:39 AM
    Intriguing device. Sorry I missed the sign-up
    07-23-19 09:03 AM
    Processor is out now. they are aiming at the passport crowd hard.

Passport-like phone with Android - but not from BlackBerry - The Unihertz Titan.-titan-processor.jpg
    07-23-19 09:48 AM
    I'm excited for those that wanted to see a Passport.... but I don't really blame BBMo for not doing a Passport, a Curve or a PRIV. These are all niche devices within a niche.

Now if Unihertz sell a few million phones, then yes BBMo was wrong. But my guess is they'll be doing good to sell 20K units. This is more a novelty project than something most would want to use as their daily driver.
    I perfectly agree, most probably Unihertz will sell max 20k units. Exactly because it is a niche within a niche (reminds the "dream within a dream of the song "windmills of your mind" )
    BUT...there is couple of things we keep forgetting. Speaking as a blackberry lover, Blackberry was doomed when they did not want to switch to android in the very early android days, as well as nokia. Blackberry came back because it was an iconic device, unlike nokia. But, since the smartphone came in its actual incarnation and gave to the mass users things which blackberry could not give, the PKB devices became at most a niche (and at least a funny remembrance from the past).
    So, even if I love pkb and I swore everlasting love to pkb, I am aware it is a niche.
    Therefore, being a niche market, by definition, you cannot rely on millions of units sold.
    Therefore you (BBMo for example) have to make a choice: either going after million of users giving them what they want (which is NOT PKB) in the very difficult attempt to take them away from apple, samsung etc (by lowering the price maybe?) OR... you keep your niche users giving them what they want (repositioning yourself and targets). Could it be that those niche users want an android powered PKB? For sure, nobody asked for a Key1 (my current phone), but I was personally very happy to get it

So, long story short, Unihertz might have understood this and might go after the unhappiness of many BB users (which are a niche), and maybe some "crazy" product manager with a crazy love for passport (do we agree that somebody at Unihertz must love the passport to try something like this?) might have decided to realize the product of its dream, with the double intention of going after a niche market...

Opinions? Ideas?
    anon(10218918) and elfabio80 like this.
    07-23-19 10:10 AM
    Might be lucky if it is a Mdiatek chip.... think the Unihertz Atom used the same specs, and I can't find any info on who's chip it is.
    Mediatek MT6763 (Helio P23) Octa-core, 2 GHz
    07-23-19 10:48 AM
    I perfectly agree, most probably Unihertz will sell max 20k units. Exactly because it is a niche within a niche (reminds the "dream within a dream of the song "windmills of your mind" )
    BUT...there is couple of things we keep forgetting. Speaking as a blackberry lover, Blackberry was doomed when they did not want to switch to android in the very early android days, as well as nokia. Blackberry came back because it was an iconic device, unlike nokia. But, since the smartphone came in its actual incarnation and gave to the mass users things which blackberry could not give, the PKB devices became at most a niche (and at least a funny remembrance from the past).
    So, even if I love pkb and I swore everlasting love to pkb, I am aware it is a niche.
    Therefore, being a niche market, by definition, you cannot rely on millions of units sold.
    Therefore you (BBMo for example) have to make a choice: either going after million of users giving them what they want (which is NOT PKB) in the very difficult attempt to take them away from apple, samsung etc (by lowering the price maybe?) OR... you keep your niche users giving them what they want (repositioning yourself and targets). Could it be that those niche users want an android powered PKB? For sure, nobody asked for a Key1 (my current phone), but I was personally very happy to get it

So, long story short, Unihertz might have understood this and might go after the unhappiness of many BB users (which are a niche), and maybe some "crazy" product manager with a crazy love for passport (do we agree that somebody at Unihertz must love the passport to try something like this?) might have decided to realize the product of its dream, with the double intention of going after a niche market...

Opinions? Ideas?
    Unlike Nokia? Sorry but their comeback has been a lot more successful than BlackBerrys.

It's a business, and bottom line companies have to make money. And sadly that just doesn't seem to be possible with the current attempts at selling BlackBerry's Android Secure. Think in a way PKB lovers are being punished by that BlackBerry Tax. Maybe if there is another round of devices without the very costly BlackBerry involvement in securing Android and updating it. Might see a KEY3 LE for the $299 it should be.... But then I don't see any reason for BlackBerry to risk their name.
    07-23-19 10:58 AM
    Unlike Nokia? Sorry but their comeback has been a lot more successful than BlackBerrys.

It's a business, and bottom line companies have to make money. And sadly that just doesn't seem to be possible with the current attempts at selling BlackBerry's Android Secure. Think in a way PKB lovers are being punished by that BlackBerry Tax. Maybe if there is another round of devices without the very costly BlackBerry involvement in securing Android and updating it. Might see a KEY3 LE for the $299 it should be.... But then I don't see any reason for BlackBerry to risk their name.
    Except it's not Nokia anymore. HMD simply bought the name, and Nokia contributes absolutely nothing.
    07-23-19 11:03 AM
    I just got an ad (not here) for this device:
    Attachment 445222

It seems to be an upcoming Kickstarter project. The device is going to be called "Titan" by company "Unihertz". Kickstarter backers may get this for $199, it said. Didn't find a MSRP. Just wanted to put this up for discussion.
    Specs so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Passport-like phone with Android - but not from BlackBerry - The Unihertz Titan.-34878.jpg  
    07-23-19 11:22 AM
    Except it's not Nokia anymore. HMD simply bought the name, and Nokia contributes absolutely nothing.
    It's run by former Nokia executives, it was headquartered in Espoo Finland on the Nokia Campus, but has since move a couple of miles up the road. HMD has been consists of typical Scandinavian design and aesthetics. And one of the highlights of most reviews are the build quality and design. (See Nokia Wiki)

I'd say there is still some spirit of the old Nokia there. But bottom line the name does live on. We don't even know if there will be another BlackBerry phone at this point....
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    07-23-19 11:55 AM
    It's run by former Nokia executives, it was headquartered in Espoo Finland on the Nokia Campus, but has since move a couple of miles up the road. HMD has been consists of typical Scandinavian design and aesthetics. And one of the highlights of most reviews are the build quality and design. (See Nokia Wiki)

I'd say there is still some spirit of the old Nokia there. But bottom line the name does live on. We don't even know if there will be another BlackBerry phone at this point....
    Yeah sad but true.
    It is true that the Nokia name survives, it is also true that they are making mid range quite good phones, but since they did not have a niche they had to find a place for that brand, which used to be the world leader in mobile segment, and had a large user base but not a niche.

It is true that we do not know if there will be another BBMo phone... BBMo maybe should better protect its niche user base instead of...doing what? Somebody please enlighten me because I struggle to understand their strategy. I guess we would happily pay money for a product which give us what we want, am I wrong?
    07-23-19 12:01 PM
    Yeah sad but true.
    It is true that the Nokia name survives, it is also true that they are making mid range quite good phones, but since they did not have a niche they had to find a place for that brand, which used to be the world leader in mobile segment, and had a large user base but not a niche.

It is true that we do not know if there will be another BBMo phone... BBMo maybe should better protect its niche user base instead of...doing what? Somebody please enlighten me because I struggle to understand their strategy. I guess we would happily pay money for a product which give us what we want, am I wrong?
    Their strategy was enterprise... as enterprise has been known to place a "value" on security (and pay more for it).
    07-23-19 02:06 PM
    Their strategy was enterprise... as enterprise has been known to place a "value" on security (and pay more for it).
    Honest question: and how come the enterprise deceived? Just because blackberry was absent for some time (between bb9 and bb10) or because enterprise users started to demand same stuff as they had on their private devices? Or maybe somewhere in the middle...?

As far as I know enterprises have contracts with carriers which had contracts with blackberry for supplying devices which were offered to enterprise users. Why this is not happening now?
    07-23-19 02:48 PM
    Honest question: and how come the enterprise deceived? Just because blackberry was absent for some time (between bb9 and bb10) or because enterprise users started to demand same stuff as they had on their private devices? Or maybe somewhere in the middle...?

As far as I know enterprises have contracts with carriers which had contracts with blackberry for supplying devices which were offered to enterprise users. Why this is not happening now?
    BYOD. The end.
    07-23-19 03:10 PM
    BYOD. The end.
    Yep. Very true and very sad but I gave up on company iphone to bring my own key1 and I will bring my own titan
    07-23-19 03:14 PM
    Mediatek MT6763 (Helio P23) Octa-core, 2 GHz
    Bench-wise it seems the KEYone has this beat. It's a 2017 chip anyway, so either Unihertz has been sitting on this for a while, it was cheaper than whatever Mediatek could offer in 2018-19, or whatever dumpster they fished the 4.5" 1440x1440 screens out of had P23s in it.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-23-19 03:29 PM

A long time ago... BlackBerry had the one way to get instant emails and could mange hardware for companies. Thus they were the choice for enterprise.

But Active Sync pretty much made BIS useless, and lot's of companies started offering management tools for iOS and Android enterprise devices (because BlackBerry wouldn't back then).

Apps are great tools that even Enterprise can make use of.... BBOS wasn't a developers favorite platform and sadly BB10 wasn't really even on the radar. Throw in the flop that BB10 became and the soon to follow For Sale sign... is it any wonder that Enterprise didn't trust BlackBerry anymore? Few that did, had a sour taste in their mouth when Chen pulled the plug on BB10. Then again when the pulled the plug on Android phase one....

I suspect enterprise would have needed BBMo to clearly succeed before even considering to trust them. But BBMo failed to deliver on the Carrier Support they claimed they had, they failed to deliver those three devices that first year and the 2nd was a clear flop and the KEYone had a huge simple mistake in it's production/design - $.20 worth of glue.
    the_boon and Lukong1515 like this.
    07-23-19 03:29 PM
850 ... 1011121314 ...