Sure they’ve been forgotten about since the demand would be more insignificant than Key devices.
    Again, pure speculation.
    07-17-19 03:54 PM
    Again, pure speculation.
    So you think it’s possible more people would prefer smaller than 4.5” screen of the Key devices? So the mistake is that BBMo really made is the Key line is too big?
    07-17-19 03:57 PM
    Back then I think my TV was still 1:1 too...

Everyone made 1:1 phones with keyboard back in 2005, 2006, 2007... that NO ONE expect BlackBerry and a few feature phone OEM not running BlackBerry has made a 1:1 phone in ten years, should tell you that 1) It might not be possible or 2) there isn't a market for it.

Again I hope the Titan becomes a reality...

But this has gotten way off the track.
    Yeah, and like the S10+ I have now. "Progress". But it has no physical keyboard.

Ya think maybe something about putting a keyboard to a 1:1 screen actually made sense? I wonder. Oh that's right, that was ten years ago. Because pkb's are sooooo much different now...
    07-17-19 03:58 PM
    So you think it’s possible more people would prefer smaller than 4.5” screen of the Key devices? So the mistake is that BBMo really made is the Key line is too big?
    We already know a Passport style format would work. BlackBerry fans have been screaming for an Android version of this for years and their pleas have fallen on deaf ears. Many of them settled for a Key device but remain unsatisfied.

As for a smaller Bold or Q10 sized phone, I think that might also work, yes. No one ever had the guts to try besides wannabe BlackBerry-styled burner phones with parts from the mediatek scrap heap, so perhaps we'll never know.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    07-17-19 04:08 PM
    We already know a Passport style format would work. BlackBerry fans have been screaming for an Android version of this for years and their pleas have fallen on deaf ears. Many of them settled for a Key device but remain unsatisfied.

As for a smaller Bold or Q10 sized phone, I think that might also work, yes. No one ever had the guts to try besides wannabe BlackBerry-styled burner phones with parts from the mediatek scrap heap, so perhaps we'll never know.
    The Classic (BB10 device and separate PKB term) fans are far greater in number than Passport fans. You’re confusing a vocal minority again sales demand. Coincidentally, that’s same mistake TH made back in the day when BB10 should have been shelved before all the additional losses.
    07-17-19 04:13 PM
    The Classic (BB10 device and separate PKB term) fans are far greater in number than Passport fans. You’re confusing a vocal minority again sales demand. Coincidentally, that’s same mistake TH made back in the day when BB10 should have been shelved before all the additional losses.
    And you say that in defence of what...ever-weakening sales and the road to oblivion?

There's no confusion here. You can't defend the current trajectory when it's literally an extension of the old one...a line gradually sloping to zero.
    07-17-19 04:20 PM
    We already know a Passport style format would work.
    We do?
    07-17-19 04:29 PM
    We do?
    Yes, we do. Go ask the people who wanted one, if they're still here.
    arkenoi and kristofszucs like this.
    07-17-19 04:32 PM
    Sell "in numbers" like overpriced, niche foldables right? Yep, noted that. Thanks again.
    No, like the deluge of upcoming foldables over the next few years.
    07-17-19 04:49 PM
    No, like the deluge of upcoming foldables over the next few years.
    Uh....yeah, sure.
    07-17-19 04:51 PM
    Uh....yeah, sure.
    It's the next paradigm shift for mobile devices, and many OEMs are dumping huge money into it. Google is waist deep themselves.

That doesn't guarantee success of course, but there are a lot of people betting the farm on it.

The two biggest smartphone manufacturers in the world - Samsung and Huawei - have spent ungodly amounts of money on it already. If you think they're doing it to create a cute little niche, you'd be wrong.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-17-19 04:54 PM
    Yes, we do. Go ask the people who wanted one, if they're still here.
    There are a lot of vocal people who think the Earth is flat too. I'm not sure that counts as proper market/statistical analysis.

If the numbers were there, many OEMs would have jumped on the form factor.
    07-17-19 05:45 PM
    There are a lot of vocal people who think the Earth is flat too. I'm not sure that counts as proper market/statistical analysis.
    You have no analysis other than to defend whatever BBMo puts out. Everyone here, especially you, knows BlackBerry fans have wanted a Passport running Android for years. Sadly - and this is a big reason BBMo finds themselves in this unfortunate predicament - no BlackBerry customer ever asked for a pkb attached to a 2:3 screen.
    John Albert likes this.
    07-17-19 06:48 PM
    Its not just about Passport though. There were plenty of 1:1 phones BlackBerry made that fit great in your pocket and were a joy to type on.
    Only BB10 devices with a PKB were 1:1, BBOS devices like the Bold and Curve used a 4:3 aspect ratio.
    07-17-19 07:10 PM
    You have no analysis other than to defend whatever BBMo puts out. Everyone here, especially you, knows BlackBerry fans have wanted a Passport running Android for years. Sadly - and this is a big reason BBMo finds themselves in this unfortunate predicament - no BlackBerry customer ever asked for a pkb attached to a 2:3 screen.
    But I do have analysis: the very fact that no OEM's market research indicates that the form factor is viable.
    07-17-19 07:29 PM
    Only BB10 devices with a PKB were 1:1, BBOS devices like the Bold and Curve used a 4:3 aspect ratio.
    Ha ha, yeah but that's really part of the same discussion anyway...they'll tell us you can't have that either, because of "Google". Conveniently, BBMo doesn't make a 1:1 BlackBerry or a 4:3 BlackBerry, and they'll never bother trying.

Basically, any BlackBerry format that ever sold more than a million units can be scratched from the Android wishlist.
    07-17-19 07:37 PM
    Great conversation.
    I’d like to see actual data showing how many people want and support a Passport like device. You need tens of millions, at least, to support a device. Not a few people on a fan site.
    We know what sells. I’m not against a new or different form factor, but you need real support or no one, no one, will take a chance.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    07-17-19 07:37 PM
    But I do have analysis: the very fact that no OEM's market research indicates that the form factor is viable.
    BS meter reading = full
    hjc73734 and Jake2826 like this.
    07-17-19 07:38 PM
    BS meter reading = full
    Show data that proves otherwise.
    07-17-19 08:03 PM
    Show data that proves otherwise.
    I see. So we've reached [citation needed] already? The white flag of every CB regular that just lost an argument...
    hjc73734 and Jake2826 like this.
    07-17-19 08:49 PM
    I see. So we've reached [citation needed] already? The white flag of every CB regular that just lost an argument...
    There is no argument.
    You claim there is adequate proof a Passport like device would sell. You’re not the one putting up the money. Make your case.
    07-17-19 09:01 PM
    There is no argument.
    You claim there is adequate proof a Passport like device would sell. You’re not the one putting up the money. Make your case.
    The burden of proof lies on both sides. I have stated, truthfully, that many on CB have pleaded for an Android Passport. That is a fact. It's also a fact that many of them have left. Just like the countless others who are fed up with too much TCL, too much CB, too much lipstick, and too many pigs.

Sorry...but saying "this is what TCL has to sell us, they must have crunched some numbers" is NOT analysis. It's BS. The onus is not on me to match someone's BS with real facts. Get real.

There is a name for that, and its not a discussion. It's called a waste of my time.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    07-17-19 09:24 PM
    You can logically and simply deduce from carrier availability which devices sold better than others. Although carrier sales are primarily a USA/NA thing, it's a fair bellwether for indications of VKB or PKB demand.
    07-17-19 09:28 PM
    Yeah the specs might end up making BBMo look good, but the price will bring this into the affordable range for a much bigger market. And if Unihertz get's lucky and BBMo is shutting down, this thing could sell very well to those waiting for something new. Which might lead to a Titan Pro with some better specs. While the KEY2 would still be a better phone, not sure how much stock is going to be left...
    Intriguing thought
    07-17-19 11:09 PM
    Well it's Google that hasn't really supported the 1:1 in the past... not even sure they have started to today. This isn't much more than many of the "dream" devices some of the more proficient Photoshop artist here have created. This could be a dream that hasn't fully been vetted by anyone in engineering and design.

If you watch some of the other video's on the Passport... there are issues with apps not scaling. Even if Google does allow 1:1 that doesn't mean that developer have to support it... I'm excited about this device, but were aren't yet to the point to go "in you face".
    I can deal with poor scaling. BB10 ported apps did the same thing on Passport.

Starting to get an interest in this rig
    07-17-19 11:13 PM
850 ... 7891011 ...