With the eminent release of BlackBerry Android device, it's only logical to start wondering if BB10 is at risk of being discontinued...specially if the PRIV sells really well financially and enough to make BlackBerry continue making BlackBerry devices with Android OS!
    I have owned a Iphone 6s Plus for several weeks now(first time in my life owning a Apple product) I am known for being a BlackBerry guy and friends and family members get into shock seeing me carrying an Iphone device, it was something I personally admit would never happen but my decision was purely based in being curious and really trying if I could LOVE Iphone...well my experience with Iphone was not pleasant...it's good to take pictures, videos...it's a entertainment GOD, apps was not a problem, the problem was really about having space or not to install apps! I tried to perform a simple task but found out that Iphone is not good at it beautifully like BlackBerry...PRODUCTIVITY!!!
    I struggled to create and edit documents, spreadsheets and PowerPoints, I could access Box, Dropbox, Skydrive etc etc from the BlackBerry's file manager with ease, I could copy, rename, paste, delete between then inside my BlackBerry file manager beautifully...using just the integrated file manager found in BB10, did I mention BLEND? WOW...i can't believe the world isn't paying attention to the power of BB10, I think, they really don't know...I still get people asking me about BlackBerry 7 OS....or surprised when they see a BlackBerry device with me. I couldn't do that task with Iphone without going to the app store and spend a few hours and money trying to find a good file manager and still yet not as good as BlackBerry.

There is a good chance that the year 2016 if not already, could be the end of BB10 and BlackBerry Passport being the last high premium device with BB10 OS! I will continue using the Passport if it continues receiving maintenance updates but for how long can the Passport last? Would it still be worth having it in the next 5 years of so? And work as it should be? I just bought a second brand new Passport device for backup!still sealed in the box just for insurance.

Valid Passport!
    10-12-15 01:13 PM
    Worth it for the next 10 years and many more if you truly love BlackBerry 10 and Passport the way it is. You just have to cope when the device becomes more and more "limited" over time.
    10-12-15 01:19 PM
    Yeah it's a real pity BlackBerry 10 is dying as it is a powerful OS. I'm still using and loving my Z10 as my daily driver but I'm already thanking in moving forward to a different OS and not because I'm not happy with my BlackBerry 10 device but because is almost sure BlackBerry will not invest more money in the OS development. For sure I will not get the Priv, if I decide to move into android ecosystem I would purchase a cheaper device.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 01:25 PM
    The core apps baked into BB10 will be productively functional for the life of the device.

I expect at least a minimum of 2 years of life.

I still use my HP TouchPad which I purchased September 2011.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2789 on T-Mobile
    10-12-15 01:26 PM
    With the eminent release of BlackBerry Android device, it's only logical to start wondering if BB10 is at risk of being discontinued...specially if the PRIV sells really well financially and enough to make BlackBerry continue making BlackBerry devices with Android OS!
    I have owned a Iphone 6s Plus for several weeks now(first time in my life owning a Apple product) I am known for being a BlackBerry guy and friends and family members get into shock seeing me carrying an Iphone device, it was something I personally admit would never happen but my decision was purely based in being curious and really trying if I could LOVE Iphone...well my experience with Iphone was not pleasant...it's good to take pictures, videos...it's a entertainment GOD, apps was not a problem, the problem was really about having space or not to install apps! I tried to perform a simple task but found out that Iphone is not good at it beautifully like BlackBerry...PRODUCTIVITY!!!
    I struggled to create and edit documents, spreadsheets and PowerPoints, I could access Box, Dropbox, Skydrive etc etc from the BlackBerry's file manager with ease, I could copy, rename, paste, delete between then inside my BlackBerry file manager beautifully...using just the integrated file manager found in BB10, did I mention BLEND? WOW...i can't believe the world isn't paying attention to the power of BB10, I think, they really don't know...I still get people asking me about BlackBerry 7 OS....or surprised when they see a BlackBerry device with me. I couldn't do that task with Iphone without going to the app store and spend a few hours and money trying to find a good file manager and still yet not as good as BlackBerry.

There is a good chance that the year 2016 if not already, could be the end of BB10 and BlackBerry Passport being the last high premium device with BB10 OS! I will continue using the Passport if it continues receiving maintenance updates but for how long can the Passport last? Would it still be worth having it in the next 5 years of so? And work as it should be? I just bought a second brand new Passport device for backup!still sealed in the box just for insurance.

Valid Passport!
    5 Years.... I imagine the number of people that use their phone that long is pretty small.... With the way technology changes, no something you bought today probable isn't going to be "worth" having in 5 years. Will it do connect to the SuperDuper LTE Signals.... will it run the InstaBook App... will Wi-FI Supreme work on it? Will it have the 6GB of Ram that Apps will need?

The Passport will "last". Might have some security risks where they don't patch the browser or so other future flaws that are found in the BlackBerry code or in other code that BlackBerry incorporated (like heartbleed). As I imagine that maintenance and security updates will be promised for no more than 2 years (most likely end sooner).

Big issue will be the Apps. How long will the HACKS into Google Play last..... And how long before higher than Android 4.3 will be required to run a new app... in five years you'll be "stuck" using some pretty old APK's.
    LazyEvul and JeepBB like this.
    10-12-15 01:27 PM
    Maybe the Passport will get android like the Priv in the future.

Posted via passport
    10-12-15 02:04 PM
    I just recently traded my backup Passport for the Galaxy S6 Edge. I have tried this phone for the past two weeks and it does have some good features. Thinking of putting the sim card back into my primary passport because. ... (a) emails are much better on the Passport, (b) browser is better on the passport, (c) operating system is better on the Passport, (d) typing is better on the Passport, and (e) the square screen just fits better.
    I will miss BlackBerry If they stop making BB10 phones.

 Passport Rocks 
    10-12-15 02:28 PM
    BB 10 File manager is awesome. BB 10 Os rules.

  
    10-13-15 09:10 PM
    More pessimism on Crackberry. No worries. Your Passport will be fine for years into the future.

My 2 year old dual core 1.2 ghz BlackBerry Q5 seems as snappy as ever. I'm using it now to post this message and the only limitation it has is my thumbs. I will be using this Q5 for you probably another 5 years along with my z10 and z30. You will probably have to renew your travel passport before having to renew your real passport.

As far as the BlackBerry slider goes, I hope that it is a great success. Hopefully revenues from it will help to develop updated bb10 phones cuz I don't think BlackBerry's clientele will all welcome android.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 10:17 PM
    BTW iPhone 6S Plus hasn't been out for 2mths just yet lol

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 06:50 AM
    The priv most certainly won't be a success. Set aside Chen's commentary that BlackBerry would shut down the handset business in 2016 if it wasn't profitable and the negative effect that such uncertainty has on enterprise sales.

Who is this phone targeting exactly? Android afficianados already can get better droid slabs at half the cost. Security afficianados aren't going to abandon BB10 or Blackphone for a platform that the CEO just admitted was inferior. Slider fans? Just how many are still alive in 2015?

I'll be surprised if it sells 1.000.000 units total in its entire production run let alone 5,000,000 a year.

The classic answer to a question nobody is asking.
    10-14-15 07:34 AM
    Maybe the Passport will get android like the Priv in the future.

Posted via passport
    If the Priv sells very well, maybe it will. However, even if that were to happen, you'd need to buy the Android version of the Passport. BB want money, There is no benefit to them in providing an Android upgrade to existing Passports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-14-15 07:40 AM
    There still are Bold 9900 running with BIS.
    I'll continue using my passport as long as it works.
    I'll buy an other one if it is broken as long as it is available.
    10-14-15 07:47 AM
    3 years tops. Starts with disappearing apps, no app updates, back end support gets spotty then only a couple of OS maintenance updates then EOL.
    10-14-15 08:58 AM
    May be battery life limits the longevity... I won't buy a new battery in a few years... rather a new Passport/alternative BB10-device!?
    10-14-15 10:13 AM
    Yes, I'm keeping my passport until it dies or I die, I'm 61 yo. LOL and as soon as I see a Red passport on Amazon for $200 it's mine! If it makes it that far and the Priv second edition comes with BlackBerry OS10 I'll get one of those also for kicks, maybe. Passport rules beotches!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 12:28 PM
    Yes, I'm keeping my passport until it dies or I die, I'm 61 yo. LOL and as soon as I see a Red passport on Amazon for $200 it's mine! If it makes it that far and the Priv second edition comes with BlackBerry OS10 I'll get one of those also for kicks, maybe. Passport rules beotches!

Posted via CB10
    LOL... live long and prosper!
    _\\//
    10-14-15 02:52 PM
    Phones and personal computers will continue to converge over the next several years. I have been using a Surface Pro 3 for the last couple of weeks, with Skype for Business and Microsoft's VOIP service for outbound calls. As a result, I pull out my mobile phone less and less often every day.

My goal is not to spend more than $200 on new mobile phones over the next two years, and not to purchase any more mobile apps. I too will pick up a used Passport when the price drops to below $200.

When mobile handsets run real OSes with full monitor and keyboard connectivity and allow for true portable computing I'll happily spend more money, but I'm done compromising on so-called "smart" phones that are basically toys.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 03:52 PM
    I don't believe bb10 will die. They will keep it going for very specialized devices for enterprise and government/defense customers. I am guessing they will sell bb10 phones in the future at a very high price point.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 04:27 PM