For the purpose of this thread, lets assume that BB10 OS is as good as any other OS out there, unless you disagree and want to discuss that too.

Its evident that Passport evokes deep emotions from a lot of people. I will dare say that these deep/strong emotions are subconsciously influenced by our characters and or personalities. As a result, IMHO, those who like the Passport can be defined as people who are (a) willing to try new things with an open mind (b) reserve judgement on unfamiliar things until they have objectively assessed them and (c) truly like or enjoy being different and living on the cutting edge. On the other hand, those who don't like Passport, simply based on how it looks, are people who (a) don't like taking chances or living on the cutting edge (b) find anything unfamiliar or different from their norm, weird or ugly or strange and (c) "followers" ( please note, I am not saying that they are NOT successful in what they do) who may jump on the bandwagon at later stage.

Do you agree or do you think your character or personality is contrary to my assessment? Please remember that this is only a personal assessment and isn't intended to demean anyone.

FINALLY, ....Happy Canada Day to fellow Canadians!
    Happy Birthday John Chen!
    Long Live BlackBerry!!
    stanhanks likes this.
    07-01-14 10:10 AM

You are trying too hard to justify and validate your feelings.... If it makes you feel like a Rock Start or a Lone Warrior type, that's fine.
    TGR1, TgeekB, JeepBB and 8 others like this.
    07-01-14 10:47 AM
    Your preference of plastic and glass electronic devices does not define your character or personality. Your actions do.
    07-01-14 10:50 AM
    Your preference of plastic and glass electronic devices does not define your character or personality. Your actions do.
    yes, and if one of those actions is : liking the Passport? It still says something about how you are looking at a mobile device.
    07-01-14 10:54 AM
    No. If you are going to judge people based upon their choice of phones, then you are no different than those 12 year old kids fighting in comments section of nearly every tech-related site.

I think you are one. I just judged your character, how does that make you feel? see. stop it.
    07-01-14 10:57 AM
    yes, and if one of those actions is : liking the Passport? It still says something about how you are looking at a mobile device.
    Liking a single item does not define you, especially when that item is a phone.
    07-01-14 10:58 AM
    Think outside the box. This post is not specifically restricted to a single device or action. Think about the overall argument or discussion about the Passport that most of us have not seen, yet people are making unsubstantiated judgements or comments. Don't you think that says something about ones character or personality?

Posted via CB10
    eduzojordan likes this.
    07-01-14 11:21 AM
    Think outside the box. This post is not specifically restricted to a single device or action. Think about the overall argument or discussion about the Passport that most of us have not seen, yet people are making unsubstantiated judgements or comments. Don't you think that says something about ones character or personality?

Posted via CB10
    Not with specific relation to the passport, no. If someone is constantly argumentative or condescending then yes, it could say something about their character. But when referencing a single device? Absolutely not.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-01-14 11:26 AM

You are trying too hard to justify and validate your feelings.... If it makes you feel like a Rock Start or a Lone Warrior type, that's fine.
    Lol! I'm not validating my feelings. Ironically you just typecast me as "a Lone Warrior" , and if we assume you are right, don't you see the similarities to BlackBerry going it alone to be different?

Posted via CB10
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    07-01-14 11:26 AM
    I think it's more about people who:
    1. look for any new Blackberry form factor.
    2. are willing to accept a less-than-great-looking device.
    3. are willing to accept mandatory two-handed ergonomics.
    4. fantasize about using new technology.
    5. want others to notice the unique device they are using.
    6. believe that their smartphones implicitly define their character/personality.
    07-01-14 12:01 PM
    Ridiculous isn't it? People buy homes, boats or in your case a cool car yet the scale used to weigh character is an item that cost less than your mag wheels
    07-01-14 07:00 PM
    No, I think the people who like the Passport are just the same group of people who would buy anything and everything BlackBerry produces simply because it's BlackBerry. If Apple, Samsung, LG, Nokia, HTC, or ANY OTHER smartphone maker made that device, that group of people would laugh and mock that company for pushing out such a hideous device. That's my assessment.
    JeepBB, kbz1960, kirson and 4 others like this.
    07-01-14 07:06 PM
    No, I think the people who like the Passport are just the same group of people who would buy anything and everything BlackBerry produces simply because it's BlackBerry. If Apple, Samsung, LG, Nokia, HTC, or ANY OTHER smartphone maker made that device, that group of people would laugh and mock that company for pushing out such a hideous device. That's my assessment.
    Now there is something to think about

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2947 on AT&T
    07-01-14 08:11 PM
    For the purpose of this thread, lets assume that BB10 OS is as good as any other OS out there, unless you disagree and want to discuss that too.

Its evident that Passport evokes deep emotions from a lot of people. I will dare say that these deep/strong emotions are subconsciously influenced by our characters and or personalities. As a result, IMHO, those who like the Passport can be defined as people who are (a) willing to try new things with an open mind (b) reserve judgement on unfamiliar things until they have objectively assessed them and (c) truly like or enjoy being different and living on the cutting edge.
    I'm a, b, and c, and I want nothing to do with the Passport. Next.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 08:30 PM
    I have nothing against the Passport, but am acutely aware - along with the rest of the planet - that the company cannot afford a handset failure. It is pretty clear that touchscreen users are going to prefer a z30 type device. If a subset of classic buyers opt to abandon the toolbelt for a larger screen, is this a viable target demographic for an expensive flagship device?

Perhaps the sole strategy at this point was to encourage as many BES migrations as possible and offering as many physical keyboard options was part of that strategy.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 08:44 PM
    You certainly know how to define things. You should be working as a profiler for the FBI.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 08:52 PM
    I have nothing against the Passport, but am acutely aware - along with the rest of the planet - that the company cannot afford a handset failure. It is pretty clear that touchscreen users are going to prefer a z30 type device. If a subset of classic buyers opt to abandon the toolbelt for a larger screen, is this a viable target demographic for an expensive flagship device?

Perhaps the sole strategy at this point was to encourage as many BES migrations as possible and offering as many physical keyboard options was part of that strategy.

Posted via CB10
    You are assuming that there are "touchscreen" people and "keyboard" people like it's a black-and-white thing, and that just isn't the case. There are, for instance, a great many iPhone users who miss the keyboard they used to have on their old BlackBerry (where do you think the idea for the Typo add-on keyboard come from?).

There are others who are intrigued by something new and different. I'll admit for myself that I was convinced I'd never own another physical keyboard phone (I LOVE the BB10 virtual keyboard on my Z30), but if BB has really found a way to combine the strengths of virtual and physical keyboards in the Passport, I'm interested.
    stanhanks likes this.
    07-01-14 08:55 PM
    You wouldn't read this anywhere else.

People here want blackberry to succeed. It goes no further than that.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    07-01-14 08:58 PM
    You certainly know how to define things. You should be working as a profiler for the FBI.

Posted via CB10
    I think OP might be a little melodramatic, but he has a point: people DO purchase things to make a statement. The VW Beetle was a HUGE statement back in the '50s, because up until then the idea of DELIBERATELY choosing to drive a smaller car was completely foreign (if you forgive the pun). Someone who buys a Prius is projecting something very different from someone who buys a lifted Ram 3500 Cummins.

I do think that the Passport will be a phone for extraverts. It will attract attention, because nobody's come out with a phone that looks so far out of the mainstream for a long time.
    07-01-14 08:59 PM
    You are assuming that there are "touchscreen" people and "keyboard" people like it's a black-and-white thing, and that just isn't the case. There are, for instance, a great many iPhone users who miss the keyboard they used to have on their old BlackBerry (where do you think the idea for the Typo add-on keyboard come from?).

There are others who are intrigued by something new and different. I'll admit for myself that I was convinced I'd never own another physical keyboard phone (I LOVE the BB10 virtual keyboard on my Z30), but if BB has really found a way to combine the strengths of virtual and physical keyboards in the Passport, I'm interested.
    You've done a survey of former blackberry users that now use an iPhone? You know you would have to have a large number to confirm this.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-01-14 08:59 PM
    You've done a survey of former blackberry users that now use an iPhone? You know you would have to have a large number to confirm this.

Well, as I say, the Typo keyboard wouldn't even have been a "thing" if there weren't some truth to it. Certainly, at least Ryan Seacrest clearly missed his BlackBerry's keyboard. Anecdotally, I've heard it from at least a few people. I even know a few people who didn't want to migrate from BB to Apple at all, but felt they had to because all their friends/family had gone over.
    07-01-14 09:05 PM
    I think/feel that this thread should be closed.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-01-14 10:59 PM
    Lol! I'm not validating my feelings. Ironically you just typecast me as "a Lone Warrior" , and if we assume you are right, don't you see the similarities to BlackBerry going it alone to be different?

Posted via CB10
    I said makes YOU feel like.... I didn't say it made you one.

Same as some someone buying a Harley Davidson motor cycle and buying all the leather gear.... it doesn't make them a "biker", it's just an ego thing.

You are trying to make it sound like BlackBerry's fall from popularity and to less than 1% marketshare was all part of a greater plan to be different.... well it wasn't. True I think now they are forced to find a "niche", but until they find that "niche" and show it to be sustainable.... they are more the LOST NERD than the Lone Warrior.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    07-02-14 07:17 AM

If Apple released the Passport... yeah it would sell like hotcakes. I think they are many that will welcome a large screen and a physical keyboard.

Do I think that they want that device to be limited by a so-so ecosystem?. I imagine that when reviews come out for the Passport that tech people will love the hardware with it's unique keyboard, will appreciate the HUB and fluidity of the OS. But when they try ten apps from Amazon and three of them don't work..... the love affair will end for most. We have to hope that there will be enough people that are satisfied with what there is and buy it anyway.
    kbz1960, bbq10l and JeepBB like this.
    07-02-14 07:29 AM
    I will never understand how anyone could feel that their choice of phone defines who they are. I truly don't mean to offend anyone, but that is just too weird.
    07-02-14 09:31 AM
67 123