What are you basing the Q10 being a failure from?

Check Out TechCraze
    BlackBerry themselves claimed that the Q10 would sell "tens of millions of units" obviously it didn't so it's a failure.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 09:55 AM
    BlackBerry themselves claimed that the Q10 would sell "tens of millions of units" obviously it didn't so it's a failure.

Posted via CB10
    Anything else? Or just heresay? I think there are many aspects of determining it's success/failute and it's broader than what BlackBerry expected to sell..

I also haven't heard of any big inventory write downs like they had with the Z10 so they maybe they better estimated the demand for Q devices.

But my main point is if that statement is your only determinant for whether the device is a 'success' or not it doesn't hold much merit for me.

E.g. If BlackBerry don't day how much they expect to sell of a device does that mean by your definition even if they sold one it would be a success? Or would w just not be able to say?

Check Out TechCraze
    07-24-14 10:00 AM
    Because I think adding the toolbelt is a nod to the past. I don't know if it was really needed for people who got accustomed to the Q10. I mean it feels like two steps back instead of forward?
    I agree. I liked where BB was going with the PlayBook, Z10 and Q10. It seemed they picked up where WebOS left off and were going to finally develop those ideas to their full potential.

The Classic and Passport though are now heading off in other directions, IMHO. I have a PlayBook and Z10, and I'm seriously tempted to grab a Q10 before they vanish. But for me, there is no upgrade path right now for any of them.

But I do realize that BB needs to make money, and they weren't making any on the devices I love. So they're just doing what must be done.
    07-24-14 10:17 AM
    I presume that the Q10 lovers have not developed the double typing keyboard failure. I have heard that they will eliminate this problem on the Classic. They should offer a trade in plan on the Classic for affected Q10's .
    07-24-14 11:07 AM
    As has been said before the Q10 is new Coke and the Classic is Coke Classic. We all know what happened. New Coke disappeared and Coke Classic became plain old Coca-Cola.

The same thing is going to happen when the Classic hits the stores. People who have been holding off upgrading because the tool belt was lacking will move on to BB10. Q10 lovers who think the Passport is to radical will upgrade to the Classic. This will be a very big seller in the enterprise.

The Q10 has been a good device for me. I chose it over the Z10. Having said that I am impatiently waiting for September and the Passport launch. If that isn't the device for me I will most definitely move to the Classic when it becomes available.
    keypad likes this.
    07-24-14 11:12 AM
    Personaly I like the Q10, but would rather have the capacitive keyboard than the tool belt. I'm just not convinced on the three row keyboard, and the jumbo screen of the pasport, I like the size of my Q10.
    Kevin Currey and Naeg1995 like this.
    07-24-14 11:41 AM

Anything else? Or just heresay? I think there are many aspects of determining it's success/failute and it's broader than what BlackBerry expected to sell..

Check Out TechCraze
    Many aspects? Okay name some...

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:51 AM
    Many aspects? Okay name some...

Posted via CB10
    Success is about meeting an objective, the 'many aspects' part comes because different people can have different objectives, one can be a sales objective, or it could be a profit objective, or it could simply be meeting the needs of the customer (i.e. If those with Q10's are satisfied with them then it is successful), it could also be a combination of many different factors, it depends who you ask and what angle they are looking at..

Check Out TechCraze

EDIT:

A nice example of a combination of criteria for success;

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=10634532
    07-24-14 12:16 PM

Success is about meeting an objective, the 'many aspects' part comes because different people can have different objectives, one can be a sales objective, or it could be a profit objective, or it could simply be meeting the needs of the customer (i.e. If those with Q10's are satisfied with them then it is successful), it could also be a combination of many different factors, it depends who you ask and what angle they are looking at..

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=10634532
    Yes it depends WHO you ask.

A reporter asked blackberry how many Q10's the think they would sell and the CEO of blackberry at the time said they would sell "tens of millions of units" obviously they didn't mean the companies objectives hence failure.

It doesn't mater if you or I think it was a success or not because by the blackberry's own self imposed standard and sales estimate it failed big time.

I actually have a Q10 and I like it but at least I can acknowledge that it was a massive failure and a mistake and the Classic is the fix

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 12:32 PM
    I love the Q10. I chose it for its size and quality feel. Something that feels comfortable in my pocket and hand. The screen is smaller but it still is a powerful modern device and can hold its own.

The Classic could be considered an upgrade but the phone is larger than the Q10. In the fablet world this is better... perfect example is the market the passport is reaching for. Not me, I'm still reaching for the smaller more discreet choice but I don't want to compromise on modern features. The Q10 still remains the best option for that.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 12:43 PM
    I can't wait to see the specs of the Classic. I like my Q10 just fine and I'm not choosing the Classic because of the belt. I could have done without the belt. I am just choosing it because I like the form factor. The Passport just doesn't appeal to me. I will probably try it if my carrier gets it , but I'm more excited about the Classic.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    07-24-14 12:48 PM
    I can't wait to see the specs of the Classic. I like my Q10 just fine and I'm not choosing the Classic because of the belt. I could have done without the belt. I am just choosing it because I like the form factor. The Passport just doesn't appeal to me. I will probably try it if my carrier gets it , but I'm more excited about the Classic.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    The passport doesn't appeal to me either but im that keyboard sounds awesome. I can just imagine what it would be like while typing right now on my q10.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 12:51 PM
    Rohetaku you couldn't be more wrong...imagine that you're a sports guy -athlete! So a reporter's asking you -"how fast are you going to take the 100 meters for?" -and you say "something like 5 seconds"...the run starts and on the 30th meter you step to the side and hurt your ankle...you continue the run and finish for 12 seconds...that doesn't mean you've failed just because you said 6 instead of 12 seconds earlier.
    -what I mean is that BlackBerry were expecting better results...hell of the Q10 was to be released as it is now they could probably get twice the sails...just back then the OS wasn't polished...no apps nor APKs...and most of all no marketing company at all -even as we speak the masses doesn't know that BlackBerry no longer requires special BlackBerry plan...today a colleague of mine asked me if that's a bold and he was shocked when I told him it's an actual Q10 new gen device...so the device itself is awesome and surely is a successful one (at least for me as I like it a lot as a user)...however the way in which it got implemented in the market wasn't a success at all -it's 2 different things in the end of the day...your opinions are really annoying to me -feels like you're bashing on the device yet you claim to be owning one. Just read twice what I just said before you comment again...

Posted via CB10
    Naeg1995 likes this.
    07-24-14 01:45 PM
    full qwerty phone is thing from a past by today's standards and adding a tool belt will not make it more retro.
    07-24-14 05:16 PM
    The Q10 is the present, which is a gift, and we should all be thankful! Lol

Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.3247
    07-24-14 05:19 PM
    I don't understand. The Classic will surpass the Q10 in every department, beginning with a 3.5" screen opposed to a 3.1". And on top it adds a toolbelt, which isn't a step backwards by any means, but a feature+. Why would you like to start or end a call or go back via touch buttons if you can have real ones? This whole "toolbelt is dated" discussion really is beyond me. From a functional side it's leaps and bounds ahead, especially with the trackpad. I'd prefer it over a Q10 anyday and it was the reason I dismissed the Q10 to begin with. Is cutting functionality for the sake of a more modern look and taste the new path to success or what?

The Classic is the Q10s successor and it cleans up with exactly what was wrong about it. So be glad they did it.
    Couldn't agree more. I think BlackBerry should only market three devices at any given time:

1. All touch budget (currently the Z3)
    2. An all button QWERTY like the Classic
    3. A hybrid like the Passport.

Full all touch market is saturated, so stick with middle to low end for all touch at a price point that is attractive to enterprise. Also, keep the full classic BlackBerry Belt devices in the mid to low end range. Build on the experience of the Passport that emphasizes a minimalist approach to the PKB with all touch and build it with high end specs. It's unique.
    07-24-14 05:20 PM
    To answer your title question, IMHO the Q10 was the mistake.

However, the Classic, is the correction.

C001C21C1 Thoughts on the fly
    I never had a BlackBerry until my Z10, but the one thing I knew about BlackBerry wad that they all had track pads, and people LOVED them. When I saw the early pics of Q10 I was a bit confused, I know the touch screen is supposed to help with scrolling and what not, but why take away something so iconic, and efficent?

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 06:32 PM
    I think the reason they removed the tool belt on the Q10 was twofold. BB10 is all about the gestures and the other reason was to brand the new devices as all new and shed the negative association many had with the older bbs.

Posted via CB10
    Kevin Currey and Thunderbuck like this.
    07-24-14 06:42 PM
    So basically, Classic is one step backwards..... I've been saying this for months :chuckles:
    Kevin Currey likes this.
    07-24-14 06:46 PM
    I love the Q10. I chose it for its size and quality feel. Something that feels comfortable in my pocket and hand. The screen is smaller but it still is a powerful modern device and can hold its own.

The Classic could be considered an upgrade but the phone is larger than the Q10. In the fablet world this is better... perfect example is the market the passport is reaching for. Not me, I'm still reaching for the smaller more discreet choice but I don't want to compromise on modern features. The Q10 still remains the best option for that.

Posted via CB10
    Very well said and I feel the same way.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-24-14 07:07 PM
    So basically, Classic is one step backwards..... I've been saying this for months :chuckles:
    This is why Apple looks more and more attractive. BlackBerry just seems like a company with a MAJOR identity crisis. Do they want to focus on full touchscreen, full QWERTY, or a combination of both? Should they do enterprise or consumer? Emerging economies? Android/Amazon app marketplace or BlackBerry world?

I don't see them being consistent and quite frankly looking ever more desperate. So basically they made people get used to the Q10 only to ditch that design and go back to the toolbelt at the same time making the Passport which despite all the love from this message board still looks incredibly ugly to me (of course this can be debated endlessly).

It's such a frustrating situation. I like Apple's consistency. One form factor refined with each iteration. I have played with the 4s and 5/5s and they all seemed to improve incrementally without alienating their entire user base.

Just make up your mind BlackBerry! Haha

Posted via CB10
    katesbb likes this.
    07-24-14 07:07 PM
    Couldn't agree more. I think BlackBerry should only market three devices at any given time:

1. All touch budget (currently the Z3)
    2. An all button QWERTY like the Classic
    3. A hybrid like the Passport.

Full all touch market is saturated, so stick with middle to low end for all touch at a price point that is attractive to enterprise. Also, keep the full classic BlackBerry Belt devices in the mid to low end range. Build on the experience of the Passport that emphasizes a minimalist approach to the PKB with all touch and build it with high end specs. It's unique.
    Blackberry is in a lot of different markets. Your solution does not answer the need for a budget Q model nor the need for a Z50 and Z50 mini for high end users.

In my view the Classic and Passport will be the first high end devices with no excuses.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 07:44 PM
    This is why Apple looks more and more attractive. BlackBerry just seems like a company with a MAJOR identity crisis. Do they want to focus on full touchscreen, full QWERTY, or a combination of both? Should they do enterprise or consumer? Emerging economies? Android/Amazon app marketplace or BlackBerry world?

I don't see them being consistent and quite frankly looking ever more desperate. So basically they made people get used to the Q10 only to ditch that design and go back to the toolbelt at the same time making the Passport which despite all the love from this message board still looks incredibly ugly to me (of course this can be debated endlessly).

It's such a frustrating situation. I like Apple's consistency. One form factor refined with each iteration. I have played with the 4s and 5/5s and they all seemed to improve incrementally without alienating their entire user base.

Just make up your mind BlackBerry! Haha

Posted via CB10
    It does seem like they're a little all over the place, doesn't it?

I too wish they would stick to something. If you're going back to enterprise then do it. The Passport and Classic seem to point in that direction. The Z3 is fine because the inexpensive touch screen market seems like it has growth potential. I really thing the Z30 etc. is just something fans on here want. I'm not sure it's something they should stick to.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-24-14 07:55 PM
    So basically they made people get used to the Q10 only to ditch that design and go back to the toolbelt
    Posted via CB10
    What people? No one even bought the Q10 lol

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    07-24-14 08:16 PM
    I have the Q10 and love it but they definitely should have never released it without the toolbelt

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 08:18 PM
129 12345 ...