Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I think someone tried to swipe my BB the other day...

So I'm sitting in the Nashville airport in TN waiting on a delayed flight, surfing the web on my Pearl. I close out the browser and put my phone away. About a minute later, some random guy walks up to me and tells me that he left his cell phone in a taxi, and asks if he can barrow mine for a second to call his and make sure it's still in the cab. My natural paranoia kicks in and I tell him he needs to go to a help-desk (there was one right next to me) and ask someone there. He insists that it will only take a second and it will be a local call. Now my paranoia is in overdrive. I tell him I'm not from around here (which is true) and I'm not sure if I have coverage (pure B.S.). He finally says "alright" and walks away. However, he doesn't walk to the help-desk, or ask anybody else for a cell phone. He walks down a couple gates and starts talking to someone there, well out of ear-shot...

Do you think he was trying to get his hands on my BB and run? Seems kinda stupid in an airport... Or do you think he was legit? Anybody else have a similar story?
    03-25-08 08:31 AM
    people are strange
    03-25-08 08:41 AM
    with security as tight as it is in airports nowadays i wouldn't worry...

but i would have said "oh dude...my battery JUST died...."

-db

cause i suck.
    03-25-08 08:43 AM
    Where would he have gone with your phone lol would be tough to get out of there running and someone chasing after you yelling.
    03-25-08 08:45 AM
    My wife and I don't even use each others' berry. So, I'm not going to let a stranger use mine. If you do, ask him for the number and call it for him.
    03-25-08 08:51 AM
    I would have done the same thing, probably. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but not with a phone that costs me more $$$ than I like to think about

I had a Razr stolen from me (only 13 days old!), so I'm very protective over phones now. And besides, people are DUMB sometimes, and wouldn't even care that they were in a high-security airport.

If your instincts kicked in, follow them.
    03-25-08 08:55 AM
    Yeah, your instincts were right on the money. No one in that situation would ask to "borrow" the phone, they would ask, "Could you call this number for me?"

Yeah, he would have been on that night's episode of America's dumbest criminals as he be arresed in nothing flat, but then criminals never are smart.

Next time though, you should report such behavior to the airport police so they can ID him.

Patrick
    03-25-08 09:02 AM
    You was very smart about it....
    03-25-08 09:30 AM
    Just say "no hablo ingles"

(no - ab-lo - in-glez)
    03-25-08 10:08 AM
    I would have beat the **** out of him if he would have tried to take off with my pearl lol
    03-25-08 10:11 AM
    You should have just dialed someone up and called them right in their face.
    03-25-08 10:11 AM

(no - ab-lo - in-glez)
    LMAO Adlen. I could totally get away with this one! haha
    03-25-08 10:17 AM
    Next time though, you should report such behavior to the airport police so they can ID him
    You are right. I should have, but I didn't even think about it at the time.

Ha ha ha, I could have used that one too. My wife is a spanish teacher and I know a fair ammount.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one overly protective of strangers handling my BB!
    03-25-08 10:39 AM
    You did the right thing.
    I don't trust anyone with my electronic devices.
    Family can't use em...a stranger sure as heck can't.

lol,
    Dm
    03-25-08 12:14 PM
    I wount let a stranger use my BB.
    I would have offered to call his fone for him.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-08 12:20 PM
    ~Never let a stranger touch my BB...out of the question...you did the right thing!~
    03-25-08 12:24 PM
    I agree with you, I think that guy was trying to swipe your BB. Always go with your gut. Good job!

Would it have made a difference if it were a woman?????
    03-25-08 07:47 PM
    Hazysky let some kid use her Pearl to call his mother...

...never will I give our local kids my BB!

03-25-08 07:58 PM
    Hold down the mute button for a couple seconds to go into standby. That might help with the battery just died story.

kneelberry

03-25-08 08:15 PM
    Hm. I would have said no and left it at that.

Wierd.

03-25-08 10:38 PM
    You should have just dialed someone up and called them right in their face.
    LMAO! I would soooo do that! I'm not one to let a stranger touch my phone, let alone burn up my peak minutes. I would've done the same thing as the OP.
    03-25-08 10:43 PM
    That's not paranoia kicking in, that's survival. He needed something, you had it, and he wanted it. Plain and simple.
    03-25-08 11:02 PM
    I would've done the same thing adlen said. No Hablo Ingles. Haha

03-26-08 05:15 AM
    First off, how the heck would he know if it is still in the Taxi if he calls it from inside the airport? Does he have bionic hearing? I think it was a scam. You were right not to let him use your phone. Besides, do you know if his ear was clean?
    03-26-08 10:49 AM
    LOL I am the same way with electronics... You can have my shirt, borrow my car, etc... But no one touches my puter, berry or Mp3 player and when I let those I know and trust do there is always a sneaking thought in the back of my mind wondering if somehow they will drop, scratch or otherwise tarnish my sacred gadgets...
    03-26-08 07:10 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD