If Android becomes the primary OS will BlackBerry support BB10 or will the BB10 OS become a paid subscription as far as updates go?

I actually heard two guys in suits discussing pretty seriously in a Bell store and they were not customers.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 04:15 PM
    If Android becomes the new primary OS, then BB10 would only remain (probably stripped of the Android Runtime) marketed solely to ultra-secure customers who would most likely be on BES - so the notion of paid support is essentially irrelevant.

I'm sure existing customers would be supported normally for a while.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-20-15 04:35 PM
    I can't see this happening. If they go all-in with Android then BB10 would likely be EOL like PBOS for the Playbook. I don't see BlackBerry in a position to be supporting 2 separate OSes.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 04:39 PM
    Wouldn't BlackBerry just be licensing the Android OS and be leaving updates and maintenance to Google?

Since I have and only want BB10 OS and I have paid for my device, I don't think I should have to worry about paid updates anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 04:44 PM
    Wouldn't BlackBerry just be licensing the Android OS and be leaving updates and maintenance to Google?
    Not if they're running their own Android ROM. They'll need to maintain it as Google pushes out updates to Android itself, just as Samsung needs to maintain TouchWiz. And of course there would be hardware-specific maintenance ongoing.
    07-20-15 05:02 PM

Since I have and only want BB10 OS and I have paid for my device, I don't think I should have to worry about paid updates anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    BBRY has never charged a subscription fee for updates, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. In fact... NO mobile platform has ever charged money for OS updates. BB10 devices will continue to receive support and updates as long as there are enough people using it to ensure it's economically feasible.

As for using the Android OS (which is still rumor, it's still not confirmed), no other Android OEM relies upon Google to deploy updates or maintenance, so there's no reason to assume BBRY would. When a new version of Android is released, it's up to the OEM or Carrier to release the update, not Google. And it's NEVER been a paid update. As to how efficiently or timely your carrier or device OEM releases updates is an entirely different matter (ie... Verizon is usually very slow to deploy).

Penned via Tapatalk
    07-20-15 05:17 PM
    If they switch to all out android, I'll pay a fee to have BB10 features built into Android.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-20-15 05:18 PM