I'm debating on whether blackberries use less power than touchscreens in general. Like touchscreens have usually double the screen of any blackberry. Which would use more power than smaller screen and lit keyboard right? Like the new upcoming iphone 4g is probably not going to have better battery life than the 9700 right? or Even 9000 to say the least. I need some feedback on this. Thanks.
    04-23-10 07:09 AM
    I don't think the difference is BB vs. touchscreen since the Storms are BlackBerrys and they are touchscreens.

BlackBerry has energy saving features by design, more so than other ones. Push is one major difference, it's very economical. There is data compression so it uses more CPU but it saves time and bandwidth on the radios. AFAIK no iPhone now has better battery life than a 9700 so why would you think the 4G would?

I agree a bigger screen certainly needs more power, that is probably also a big factor.
    04-23-10 07:23 AM
    Push is one major difference, it's very economical.
    Push is not economical at all (on devices other than Blackberry). Blackberry has better battery life hands down compared to ANY other smartphone. Push is a huge battery drain on other smart phones. Blackberry has pretty much perfected push email, but at the same time you have no choice. You cannot delay the polling times. Other smartphones give a choice to push or poll email at certain intervals.

The 4g iPhone will probably not have much better battery life than the current 3gs but Im hearing it will be better to some degree. These other smartphone makers have a long way to go before they can match the life of a Blackberry.
    Last edited by saukrateaz; 04-23-10 at 09:41 AM.
    04-23-10 07:29 AM
    iPhone is Swahili for "I'm too stupid to understand how to use a BlackBerry..."
    lol thats great, but similar can be said about Blackberry. Blackberry is swahili for "I'm too stupid to understand how to use a virtual keyboard". iPhone is a more powerful device hands down. I love my Blackberry, but if it weren't for battery life, I would still be on the iPhone.
    04-23-10 07:32 AM
    Push is not economical at all. Blackberry has better battery life hands down compared to ANY other smartphone. Push is a huge battery drain on other smart phones. Blackberry has pretty much perfected push email, but at the same time you have no choice. You cannot delay the polling times. Other smartphones give a choice to push or poll email at certain intervals.
    Push is extremely economical, you simply don't understand push. There is no polling for email and BBM on a BlackBerry.

Push is push, polling is pull.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 04-24-10 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Needlesly mean spirited comment
    04-23-10 07:43 AM
    Push is extremely economical, you simply don't understand push. There is no polling for email and BBM on a BlackBerry.

Thanks for the defensive response. If you read my post a little more thouroughly you would see that I am answering the original post. I stated pushing is not economical, because of the drain it has on other smart phones. I then posted that Blackberry has push nearly perfected. Before you jump to the flame and make yourself look like an *****, pay attention and breath before thinking your being intelligent. This is about battery life, not what push is. Maybe your engrish not too well, and thats why you dont understand. It's ok, I forgive you.
    04-23-10 08:53 AM
    There is no polling for email and BBM on a BlackBerry.
    Noone said Blackberry polls, what was said was Blackberry pushes, but has no choice over push or poll like other devices.

(gong noise)
    04-23-10 08:57 AM
    Push is not economical at all. Blackberry has better battery life hands down compared to ANY other smartphone. Push is a huge battery drain on other smart phones. Blackberry has pretty much perfected push email, but at the same time you have no choice. You cannot delay the polling times. Other smartphones give a choice to push or poll email at certain intervals.

Thanks for the defensive response. If you read my post a little more thouroughly you would see that I am answering the original post. I stated pushing is not economical, because of the drain it has on other smart phones. I then posted that Blackberry has push nearly perfected. Before you jump to the flame and make yourself look like an *****, pay attention and breath before thinking your being intelligent. This is about battery life, not what push is. Maybe your engrish not too well, and thats why you dont understand. It's ok, I forgive you.
    Not going to lie, when I read your first response I thought you were saying that BlackBerry push wasn't economical. Until your second post I didn't understand what you were getting at. The way you worded it made it seem like "Push" as a service across all devices is not economical, which of course isn't the case with a BlackBerry, due to the BB BIS servers. His response may not have been the best way to handle it, but your initial response could have used a little additional clarification.
    04-23-10 09:37 AM
    "Push is a huge battery drain on other smart phones. Blackberry has pretty much perfected push email,"

I firgured that would have explained it enough. I will edit the first post to further clarify for those that need it....Thanks for the reply

with the main topic here being battery life versus the different devices, Push is a major factor. If you turn Push notifications off on an iPhone, the battery could last a good 30% longer than with it on, thus, it is not economical on that platform. blackberry doesn't give the option to turn off push, but it doesn't matter because they have the system down.
    Last edited by saukrateaz; 04-23-10 at 09:43 AM.
    04-23-10 09:40 AM
    with the main topic here being battery life versus the different devices, Push is a major factor. If you turn Push notifications off on an iPhone, the battery could last a good 30% longer than with it on, thus, it is not economical on that platform. blackberry doesn't give the option to turn off push, but it doesn't matter because they have the system down.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    04-23-10 11:57 AM
    Being an owner of a blackberry and an iphone at one point; I can say that there is no competition between a blackberrys battery life and an iphones. I could use my blackberry to its fullest potential all day and still have half my battery bar, while the iphone would die within 4 hours. Now mind you, I cannot play games which are as intense on the blackberry or have cool graphical effects but overall this is a communications device and not a toy.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-23-10 12:43 PM
    iPhone "push" really shouldn't be called "push" at all. It's just as deceptive as the two "3Gs" on CDMA and GSM, when they're completely different.
    04-23-10 12:52 PM
    My BB Tour has much better battery life than my iPhone, as you would expect it to given that the screen is half the size and half as bright!
    04-23-10 01:24 PM
    Depends on whats running and how you use the phone.

Maximum Battery Life
    iPhone 3GS offers up to 5 hours of talk time on 3G, 12 hours of talk time on 2G, 5 hours of Internet use on 3G, 9 hours of Internet use on Wi-Fi, 10 hours of video playback, or 30 hours of audio playback on a full charge at original capacity. In addition, iPhone features up to 300 hours of standby time.
    04-23-10 01:28 PM
    There is no polling for email and BBM on a BlackBerry.
    Noone said Blackberry polls, what was said was Blackberry pushes, but has no choice over push or poll like other devices.

(gong noise)
    Bzzt. Wrong again. Here is right where you said it. You're so lost you have no idea what you're talking about:

Blackberry has pretty much perfected push email, but at the same time you have no choice. You cannot delay the polling times. Other smartphones give a choice to push or poll email at certain intervals.
    You said "you cannot delay the polling times," BlackBerry does not poll for email and push means "a system that does not involve polling".
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 04-24-10 at 02:10 PM. Reason: needless mean spiriited comment
    04-24-10 01:45 PM
    ... Anybody who reads the thread can see that you edited your post after I quoted it. LOL.

Ok anyway push is economical in all cases. The problems are:

1. You don't understand what push is, as you so ably demonstrated in this thread. You think it involves fixed polling intervals (direct quote). Wrong.

2. You believe marketing blubber so you think other phones have push email, leading you to draw an incorrect (and hilarious actually) conclusion about push not being economical based on battery life on other platforms that don't implement push. That's a real classic. LOL.

04-24-10 02:15 PM
    iPhone and BB are both good.

The Bold 9700 has way better battery life than any phone right now. But the iPhone is also an amazing phone that uses a lot of power.

Let's all just be glad we aren't using WinMo devices.
    04-24-10 02:16 PM
    Let's all just be glad we aren't using WinMo devices.
    HAHAHA! So true!!! I had the original Motorola Q and holy crap that thing sucked! But at least the new WinPhone looks better than WinMo.
    04-24-10 02:25 PM
    Cleaned up some of the rude comments in this thread. Civility people. Please!

Also and this is off topic:

iPhone is Swahili for "I'm too stupid to understand how to use a BlackBerry..."
    Swahili is the national language of four nations and is spoken by close to 10 million people.
    It should not be reduced to a punch line. That shows a total lack of respect for
    a people and an abject dearth of intelligence.
    04-24-10 02:31 PM
    Wow, lol!

Fonage has been right though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-10 08:29 AM
    BB battery life is.20 times better than the iPhone.

04-25-10 08:12 PM
    I guess I use my phone to much???

People say on here all the time they get a whole day(or TWO!) out of their berry w/ heavy use with plenty to spare when they get home.

Now, I do very heavily use my berry all day...20-75 emails,150+ texts,BBM,anywhere from 5-25 calls spanning 2-45min, and alotta web browsing.

Obviously I don't need to be a techy(which I'm not) to realize what I'm doing is the CAUSE for my draining my battery, but my question is what is "heavy" use considered? Like me,or am I in the "super heavy" catagory?

I still feel like I get great battery life, but it definetly needs to be charged when I get home at night, and once in a great 'while at the office.

P.S. Phone is only 1 month old, new phone/battery

PM1

04-26-10 01:40 AM
    Cleaned up some of the rude comments in this thread. Civility people. Please!

Also and this is off topic:

Swahili is the national language of four nations and is spoken by close to 10 million people.
    It should not be reduced to a punch line. That shows a total lack of respect for
    a people and an abject dearth of intelligence.
    Really? That's interesting.

You missed a few, you should have cleaned up your own post (and act) while you were at it.

You didn't clean anything, you just added to the mudslinging.

Why is it not ok for me to be taken out of context and considered insulting, yet it's ok for you and others to insult me directly?

Go read where he said "Engrish" and let's see who else joins your spanking party.

I guess the moderators don't need to conduct themselves on a higher plane, they can just throw stones whenever they feel like it, just to show how things ought to be done. Nice work.

I'll tell you what, since you like to throw your weight around, delete my forum membership. I don't mean ban me, that would just be a waste of time. I mean delete my userid and all my posts.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by F0nage; 04-27-10 at 12:48 PM.
    04-27-10 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD