Hi All,

Is there any way to know what permissions an app is going to request before paying and downloading it from Blackberry world? As far as I can tell, there is no way to figure this out beforehand.

I am getting very sick of wasting my money paying for an app and having to delete it because it demands a ridiculous amount of un-needed permissions.

Many thanks for any help
    01-26-15 10:08 PM
    What you're saying is true although native BlackBerry 10 apps allow you to select which permission you'd like to use. Is your question referring to android apps for BlackBerry World, Snap, or Amazon?

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 10:19 PM
    Hi All,

Is there any way to know what permissions an app is going to request before paying and downloading it from Blackberry world? As far as I can tell, there is no way to figure this out beforehand.

I am getting very sick of wasting my money paying for an app and having to delete it because it demands a ridiculous amount of un-needed permissions.

Many thanks for any help
    As far as i know you can't view the permissions before hand, which i agree is quiet disappointing considering you can in iOS and Android. That being said i don't know if you know this, but you can disable/enable any permissions you want for each individual app in Settings>Security>Application Permissions
    01-26-15 10:22 PM
    What you're saying is true although native BlackBerry 10 apps allow you to select which permission you'd like to use. Is your question referring to android apps for BlackBerry World, Snap, or Amazon?

Posted via CB10
    Not quite. Even native blackberry 10 apps often won't disclose what permissions they need upfront. You have to download (and pay if it isn't free) to find out.

On top of that, I'm finding many apps will either not let one fine-grain the permissions in the app security pages or alternatively they stop working correctly if not granted all requested permissions.

Case in point: FX Rates, a simple app to download and display currency exchange rates demands access to contacts, otherwise it stops updating the rates.
    01-26-15 10:28 PM
    As far as i know you can't view the permissions before hand, which i agree is quiet disappointing considering you can in iOS and Android. That being said i don't know if you know this, but you can disable/enable any permissions you want for each individual app in Settings>Security>Application Permissions
    Thanks. I do know this, but developers can set it up such that you can't disable the permissions.
    01-26-15 10:29 PM
    Not quite. Even native blackberry 10 apps often won't disclose what permissions they need upfront. You have to download (and pay if it isn't free) to find out.

On top of that, I'm finding many apps will either not let one fine-grain the permissions in the app security pages or alternatively they stop working correctly if not granted all requested permissions.

Case in point: FX Rates, a simple app to download and display currency exchange rates demands access to contacts, otherwise it stops updating the rates.
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/6545

XE currency. It's free. Afaik it didn't ask for any silly permissions...
    Worth a try, if that helps you.

:-D

edit: spelling
    �   HaPPy Australia Day 2015 - come and gone...   �
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 01-27-15 at 03:48 AM.
    01-26-15 10:45 PM
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/6545

XE currency. It's free. Afaik I didn't ask for any silly permissions...
    Worth a try, if that helps you.

:-D

�   HaPPy Australia Day 2015 - come and gone...   �
    +1 for XE. Whatever you do, DO NOT use Convertly. Whoever thought that scroller is good for looking for currency needs to be dealt with with extreme prejudice

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    01-26-15 10:59 PM
    I agree overall.

BB being all about security should be more informative about what and how exactly all these permissions are being used.

Are my Contacts and emails being data mined?
    01-27-15 08:36 AM
    OS 10.3.1 any native app you install when opened for the first time shows you the list of permissions needed.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 08:49 AM
    I've found that the app description needs to be read thoroughly in some cases. It may be hard to believe but many don't scroll all the way through. I remember a guy who complained about app permissions to only find that the Dev actually listed why each individual permission was needed. A lot of Devs are starting to do this lately. I hope this trend continues.

Posted via CB10
    serbanescu likes this.
    01-27-15 09:06 AM
    I've found that the app description needs to be read thoroughly in some cases. It may be hard to believe but many don't scroll all the way through. I remember a guy who complained about app permissions to only find that the Dev actually listed why each individual permission was needed. A lot of Devs are starting to do this lately. I hope this trend continues.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't agree more.

One of our apps (Calorie Monitor Pro) has taken a lot of flak because it needs to access the file system, even if the need for this permission is explained in the app description (the app has a back-up / restore function that saves the back-up file on the file system, and also has a data export function for users who want to further analize the data in an Excel-like program).

Many users didn't read the app description and have thrown accusations of data stealing, even if the app doesn't request Internet access permission, so it cannot send any data.
    01-27-15 09:15 AM
    I couldn't agree more.

One of our apps (Calorie Monitor Pro) has taken a lot of flak because it needs to access the file system, even if the need for this permission is explained in the app description (the app has a back-up / restore function that saves the back-up file on the file system, and also has a data export function for users who want to further analize the data in an Excel-like program).

Many users didn't read the app description and have thrown accusations of data stealing, even if the app doesn't request Internet access permission, so it cannot send any data.
    I couldn't disagree more.

I thoroughly read the app descriptions. The overwhelming majority of them don't tell the user upfront what permissions are required, and even fewer provide justifications for why the permissions are needed. Good for you that you do this, but you are an exception.
    01-27-15 09:28 AM
    OS 10.3.1 any native app you install when opened for the first time shows you the list of permissions needed.

Posted via CB10
    As far as I know, 10.30.0 does this too. It's little consolation after you've paid for the app to discover the developer wants full access to contacts and emails for no good reason.
    01-27-15 09:30 AM
    I agree overall.

BB being all about security should be more informative about what and how exactly all these permissions are being used.

Are my Contacts and emails being data mined?
    In some cases, the developer is either too lazy or incompetent to set the permission correctly. In other cases yes, your contacts and emails are being data-mined.

At the very least, overly broad permissions opens up huge new attack vectors. What good is an OS built with security in mind, if the app model represents a massive security hole?
    01-27-15 09:35 AM
    I couldn't disagree more.

I thoroughly read the app descriptions. The overwhelming majority of them don't tell the user upfront what permissions are required, and even fewer provide justifications for why the permissions are needed. Good for you that you do this, but you are an exception.
    I don't believe that member or anyone else was referring to you specifically.

But to your other point, being that this is a new trend regarding Devs disclosing their reasoning to certain app permissions, I would think it's obvious that those that do are in a minority. It is a new trend, so many have not adopted the practice yet.

I mean, I could even say "good for you, as you are the exception" as well for being diligent. Because most are not. Can you deny how many threads are started because people don't scroll all the way through and then say... "It said it was free, but it's crippled. It now asks for me to pay for full functionality." All the while it clearly stated it contains items for sale at the bottom of the page?

I'm hoping that all Devs adopt a practice of clarity for those like yourself that choose to be responsible and actually read things before they jump in.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:46 AM
    I don't believe that member or anyone else was referring to you specifically.

But to your other point, being that this is a new trend regarding Devs disclosing their reasoning to certain app permissions, I would think it's obvious that those that do are in a minority. It is a new trend, so many have not adopted the practice yet.

I mean, I could even say "good for you, as you are the exception" as well for being diligent. Because most are not. Can you deny how many threads are started because people don't scroll all the way through and then say... "It said it was free, but it's crippled. It now asks for me to pay for full functionality." All the while it clearly stated it contains items for sale at the bottom of the page?

I'm hoping that all Devs adopt a practice of clarity for those like yourself that choose to be responsible and actually read things before they jump in.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't meant to jump over serbanescu. A dev like him should be applauded. I'll even check out what apps he has to offer!

But I don't think the responsibility should be left to the individual developer. Blackberry World is the problem. It needs to require that each app clearly disclose requested permissions.
    01-27-15 09:51 AM
    I didn't meant to jump over serbanescu. A dev like him should be applauded. I'll even check out what apps he has to offer!

But I don't think the responsibility should be left to the individual developer. Blackberry World is the problem. It needs to require that each app clearly disclose requested permissions.
    Actually, I only believe that listing individual app permissions in the description should be "left to" or adopted by Devs. It's only good business.

But to your other point, I also believe BlackBerry already does force Devs to list their needed permissions. That's what users see after the app is downloaded and initially opened. I think what you may be looking for is either those permission requests be available PRIOR to download or at least more granular options that were enjoyed from BBOS.

I'm not sure if BlackBerry wants to or is prepared for showing these granular permissions on BB10 any longer. Hopefully they will in the future.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:59 AM
    Actually, I only believe that listing individual app permissions in the description should be "left to" or adopted by Devs. It's only good business.

. I think what you may be looking for is either those permission requests be available PRIOR to download or at least more granular options that were enjoyed from BBOS.

I'm not sure if BlackBerry wants to or is prepared for showing these granular permissions on BB10 any longer. Hopefully they will in the future.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that is what I want. Hence my initial post.
    01-27-15 10:09 AM
    Yes, that is what I want. Hence my initial post.
    I understand that. I just don't think it's going to happen. At least in the near foreseeable future. So with the current circumstances, the best bet is for more people to be more responsible and follow the same due diligence practices that you do. There is no other way currently. Hence my initial post here.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:16 AM
    I couldn't agree more.

Serbanescu - I checked out your app. You guys do great job describing what permissions are needed and why they are needed.
    serbanescu likes this.
    01-27-15 10:24 AM

Wow that is outrages. i wonder what the explanation for that is. Didn't realize that, thanks
    01-27-15 12:33 PM