Hello, all.

In my quest to have my BlackBerry do everything it can, I have recently added Google Calendar to my life. I love it, and it is syncing perfectly. I would like to have my tasks added to my calendar on my BlackBerry, however. I can't seem to find a way to do this.

So, I approached a tech-savvy friend of mine, and he said that I should use Outlook, which he installed on my computer. I currently do not use it.

In my perfect world, here is what would happen:

1. My gmail would all be forwarded to my BlackBerry. (I have successfully accomplished this.)

2. My Tasks would appear on my Calendar on both my BlackBerry and whatever Calendar I'm using on my laptop (either Google Calendar or Outlook; I'm open to either).

3. I could sync my calendar somehow "automatically" without involving a USB cable and without having to remember to do so...cause I won't.

4. I could sync my calendar without installing Desktop Manager, because I don't like it and I have a fear that it crashed my laptop a few weeks ago. (perhaps irrational)

5. I could back up my contacts in either Outlook or Google Sync (open to either).

6. I'd have just one calendar to deal with on my laptop, and another one on my BlackBerry.

Perhaps I'm asking for too much...I don't really know if any/all of this is possible.

Can any of you folks help me out?

Possibly relevant information: I am using a 9700 on ATT, OS 405. I have Microsoft Office 2007 installed on my computer, and it uses Windows Vista.
    03-19-10 07:48 AM
    I accomplish all of this with a gmail account and google sync.
    03-19-10 08:37 AM
    So your tasks appear on your BlackBerry in your Calendar application? What settings did you use to make that happen?
    03-19-10 09:05 AM
    No sorry about that. Unfortunately, only contacts/calender can be sync'ed
    03-19-10 10:36 AM
    So if I can't sync my tasks to my calendar on my BB, perhaps I should move to using Outlook. Can anyone give me their thoughts/experiences in this area? Will my tasks show up on my calendar? Can I sync without the USB cord?
    03-19-10 11:45 AM
    I was just getting ready to start a new thread on this. On googles "b*tch" page, there are a lot of cries for this functionality, but for whatever reason, they haven't done this.

I can tell you, having read Googles' former CIO Doug Merrills book, they aren't the biggest fan of traditional to do's. However, they are leaving way too many people behind in their quest to change the world.

I bet no one has heard of anything about this. I am going back to Googles' b*tch page to add my voice.

If anyone here has a way to get Tasks to sync, that would be great. I know of no way, and I check every week.
    04-17-10 10:22 AM
    There is an app that allows you to sync google tasks but it's a 3rd party paid one.

Tasks have recently integraded with Calendar but we still don't see an option for task sync in the google app.

I am optmist thou, since we saw some improvement on Google Maps. Wishful thinking I know, but I am expecting them to update GSync and surprise us soon. Or not...

The need to sync tasks is making me consider moving Outlook as well. There is a software that allows you to sync Google to Outlook, so you don't have to go through the hassle of manually copying everything.

Good luck.
    04-17-10 10:32 AM
    Yeah, I know I can sync it thru Outlook. And I want to use Outlook again like I want another hole in my head.

Oh well. Google almost has it right. The thing is, my job requires me to be on multiple computers, so if they can just get this one stupid thing, my life will be made easier.
    04-17-10 10:37 AM
    Yeah, I know I can sync it thru Outlook. And I want to use Outlook again like I want another hole in my head.
    It was a reply to the OP really, but sorry about how you feel about Outlook. I agree it would be nice to have task sync.
    04-17-10 11:24 AM

Oh well. Google almost has it right. The thing is, my job requires me to be on multiple computers, so if they can just get this one stupid thing, my life will be made easier.

Hey you have the Tour that I think I want .
    I need similar things also. I currently have a dumbphone on VZ NYC month to mont cause my contract expired, and a Palm treo that I use in NYC as a PDA only and sync with cable to palm desktop on 2 lappys one in NYC and another in Greece.

I use the palm as a PDA and phone on Vodaphone prepaid when I am in Greece about 5 1/2 months a year.

I want to consolidate into one phone and I love the Palm desktop and don't like the outlook. Now you talk about a Google calendar , so one of my questions is does that have a contacts also? I never use tasks on my Palm , and would love to replace both phones with a Tour 9630 that I could unlock and pop my Greek GSM card into .

How is the Google calendar compared to the Palm ? You said you dont like the BB desktop and I have never seen it. ANyone else use the BB cable syncing desktop manager and like it as compared to Palm feel free to jump in .

Any suggestions to consolidate both phones into one ? Also someone told me the Tour would be adding WIFI soon, and I could buy one unlocked in Greece or worse case scenario sign a 2 year contract with VZ and then I would have to get their data plan also . If I get one with WIFI full price in Greece I can get internet from hot spots in both countrys.

I prefer to stay with Vz in NYC because they still have the best service IMO.

I have been thinking of this for almost a year now,and I need help in making the right decision. Its for my personal use only and Emails and net would be nice because I am sorta active in the stock market , but PDA functions an phone service plus price are the most important considerations

TIA
    04-17-10 12:37 PM
    Hey you have the Tour that I think I want .
    I need similar things also. I currently have a dumbphone on VZ NYC month to mont cause my contract expired, and a Palm treo that I use in NYC as a PDA only and sync with cable to palm desktop on 2 lappys one in NYC and another in Greece.

I use the palm as a PDA and phone on Vodaphone prepaid when I am in Greece about 5 1/2 months a year.

I want to consolidate into one phone and I love the Palm desktop and don't like the outlook. Now you talk about a Google calendar , so one of my questions is does that have a contacts also? I never use tasks on my Palm , and would love to replace both phones with a Tour 9630 that I could unlock and pop my Greek GSM card into .

How is the Google calendar compared to the Palm ? You said you dont like the BB desktop and I have never seen it. ANyone else use the BB cable syncing desktop manager and like it as compared to Palm feel free to jump in .

Any suggestions to consolidate both phones into one ? Also someone told me the Tour would be adding WIFI soon, and I could buy one unlocked in Greece or worse case scenario sign a 2 year contract with VZ and then I would have to get their data plan also . If I get one with WIFI full price in Greece I can get internet from hot spots in both countrys.

I prefer to stay with Vz in NYC because they still have the best service IMO.

I have been thinking of this for almost a year now,and I need help in making the right decision. Its for my personal use only and Emails and net would be nice because I am sorta active in the stock market , but PDA functions an phone service plus price are the most important considerations

TIA
    The Tour line is being converted into the Bold family.

The device you are refering to is now known as the Bold 9650, 9630+20(wifi) as I see it, and yes it will have WiFi, CDMA World Phone, so you can pop a SIM card and use it while traveling. If that's what you want, get ready to sign a contract.

Check Google Calendar online and see what you think of it. I know not everybody uses it the same way as some people just use it as a server and handle stuff in-device, others (like me) resort to desktop while indoors and BlackBerry while on the go.

I guess your question is how's the BlackBerry calendar compared to the Palm. I never used a Palm, but they should be pretty much on pair.
    04-17-10 01:09 PM
    The Tour line is being converted into the Bold family.

The device you are refering to is now known as the Bold 9650, 9630+20(wifi) as I see it, and yes it will have WiFi, CDMA World Phone, so you can pop a SIM card and use it while traveling. If that's what you want, get ready to sign a contract.

Check Google Calendar online and see what you think of it. I know not everybody uses it the same way as some people just use it as a server and handle stuff in-device, others (like me) resort to desktop while indoors and BlackBerry while on the go.

I guess your question is how's the BlackBerry calendar compared to the Palm. I never used a Palm, but they should be pretty much on pair.
    So you use the BB desktop by desktop. Do you sync via cable or over the air, or both . I am really ignorant of balckberrys workings. I dont even know what using Google as a server means ?

Will I sync the new phone with a cable on 2 lappys like I am doing now. I have no need to sync over the air and I assume as you say be ready to sign a contract that they will force me to get a data plan .

Do you think buying one in Greece I will be able to get VZ to just give me phone service here . If it syncs with a cable and I can find hotpots I can get internet without data plan. Or can I buy one here say on Ebay , and then not need to sign a contract with VZ .

Right now because I am off contract, I can put a vacation suspend on it every time I leave for Greece 2-3 times a year. But if I sign a contract, every vacation suspend extends your contract so I will be married to VZ forever.
    04-17-10 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD