Is it possible to choose which contacts I want to import from outlook to my curve? I have a lot of contacts on my office computer that are their because I have to either call them or send them an email on the rare occasion but others that I would really like on my phone. Any suggestions would be great.
    03-11-09 10:32 AM
    Yes, you can do this very easily actually. It will involve setting up an additional category in Outlook and creating a filter in your DM software. Without knowing how much knowledge you have with either program, I'm going to spell it out step by step for ease of use.

First of all, in Outlook, create a new category. Let's call this category "Personal".

1. Select any contact (you don't have to open it, just highlight it)
    2. On the Edit menu, click Categories.
    3. Click Master Category List.
    4. In the New category box, type a name (e.g. Personal) for the category.
    5. Click Add.
    6. To create more categories, repeat steps 3 and 4.
    7. Click OK twice

In your Contacts list in Outlook, you can assign this new category to just the contacts you want to move to your BB in one of two ways:

1. open each one individually, assign the Personal category by clicking on the categories button on the bottom right of their contact card, select Personal, click OK, then Save and Close.

2. Select multiple contacts by holding down your CTL key and left clicking each contact, then select Edit from the menu bar, then Categories, then Personal, then OK. This will assign your category to all at the same time.

The second way is easier and faster in my opinion. Now, everyone that you want to have on your BB is categorized and will be set to synch. Remember, ALL NEW contacts will have to be categorized with Personal in Outlook when entered if you want them to go to BB next time. Respectively, if you enter a contact in BB you will have to assign the Personal category from within BB or the next time you synch with Outlook, it won't keep it in your BB.

OK, on to Desktop Manager
    From the Main Menu, select Synchronize. On the left of the screen, under configure, select Synchronization.
    Then on the Synchronization Configuration screen, select the Synchronization button on the right. This will bring up the Intellisync Setup screen.
    Click on the Advanced button.
    Click on the Address Book tab
    Toward the bottom, you'll see the Filters entry. Click on the Filters button
    Click the New button
    Enter a name for your new filter
    This will then bring up a new box to create your filter
    Drop down the Field button
    Select Categories from the HUGE list it will bring up
    In the Operator drop down, choose "equals"
    In the Value box, type Personal, or whatever your new category is that you created.
    Click "Add to List"
    Click OK ONCE
    Notice the checkbox below the filters list, it says, "Delete from Device any data that does not match the filter" if you're ok with that, then leave it checked and click OK. Probably want to leave it checked, that way it'll clean up your BB for you if you already have the unwanted contacts in your BB.
    Click OK all the way out, saving along the way if need be.

Now you're ready to synch with Outlook and import only the contacts you want.

Another way around is to create a "business" category for the unwanted contacts, assign that category to them, set the Filter Operator to "does not equal" and value to "business". This way, you don't have to remember to assign the Personal category on the wanted contacts.

I hope this helps!
    03-11-09 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD