Hi, I going to buy a blackberry storm as soon as I can get my hands on one. I own a small business which is basically just me and my gf helps me out every so often. The problem is I like to be able to go whenever I need to. I currently use Microsoft Outlook for emails, calander, contacts. I am new to blackberrys so I am wondering how I can set the system up so that my bb syncs with my outlook when emails or contacts are modified from either end....I'm assuming I need BES but I'm really not sure, any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

I'm not super concerned about the calender or contacts because those will sink when the phone is plugged in to the computer but email needs to be realtime.

-kyle
    11-14-08 09:20 AM
    Hi, I going to buy a blackberry storm as soon as I can get my hands on one. I own a small business which is basically just me and my gf helps me out every so often. The problem is I like to be able to go whenever I need to. I currently use Microsoft Outlook for emails, calander, contacts. I am new to blackberrys so I am wondering how I can set the system up so that my bb syncs with my outlook when emails or contacts are modified from either end....I'm assuming I need BES but I'm really not sure, any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

I'm not super concerned about the calender or contacts because those will sink when the phone is plugged in to the computer but email needs to be realtime.

-kyle
    You do not need the BES to do this. The BIS (data plan through your carrier) will work just fine. There is a simple email wizard that will help you out. Outlook syncs seamleesly with the BB and you can choose how the sync will work. Check out the Welcome Newbies link in my thread.
    Welcome to CB!
    11-14-08 09:24 AM
    So how does it sync and what does it sync? does my computer need to be on with outlook open all the time?

-kyle
    11-14-08 09:25 AM
    Everyone is telling me with BIS the bb and the outlook on my computer will not sync back and forth…They say I need BES with an exchange server such as mailstreet….

Any ideas on that?
    11-14-08 11:48 AM
    I've never used BES and my BB's have all synced fine with Outlook. You'll have to use the Desktop Manager to do this. As far as the email, the BIS and BES are both Push services. All you need to do is use the email wizard to set up your email (up to 10 accounts) and you're good to go. You don't have to have Outlook open for this to work.
    11-14-08 11:52 AM
    You shouldn't need your computer to be on to for BIS to work. Now that is email only. Contacts and calendar have to be manually sync'd via the desktop manager software.

You may want to consider hosted exchange. $22/month/mailbox gets you exchange server with antispam and virus, BES (email/contacts/calendar) and OWA.
    11-14-08 11:53 AM
    Saying you use Outlook for email is not the same as saying you use Outlook connected to an Exchange server for email. Where is your Outlook connecting to? A POP account at an ISP, or do you have an Exchange server? If it's POP, you can install the Redirector, which will push mail to your BB quickly, but requires Outlook to stay open on your PC at the office/home/whatever. If you have Exchange, you can add a BES (expensive), or Blackberry Express Personal (like BES, but lower user limit), which is free for one user, and ties to your exchange server. BIS can pull your exchange mail without either, but will not be realtime. My BIS mail trickles in when it feels like it (being pulled from my work Exchange server), whereas my BES email (I pay for a hosted BES) is instantaneous.
    11-14-08 12:47 PM
    Ok so here's what I'm understanding as my three options. My email is a mail.******.com (assuming that means POP) account through outlook 2007

BIS w/redirector, computer/outlook are on at all times and it syncs both ways for email [doesn't wireless sync calender, contacts, tasks, notes]

BEP, but need an exchange server service (approx $9.95)

BES, approx $22/mo through mailstreet for [exchanger server and Blackberry Enterprise Service $9.95/mo]

I still am not 100% on the ideas but I think sonicjay's response helped quited a bit.

-Kyle
    Last edited by kjmoto; 11-14-08 at 04:38 PM.
    11-14-08 12:55 PM
    This is exactly what I need to know before making a move to a blackberry... thank you for creating the thread
    11-14-08 02:58 PM
    ttt ttt
    11-14-08 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD