Cool thread.

Are consumers becomming jaded to bells and whistles?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is an interesting question considering this is a major complaint levelled against RIM. I got a text yesterday from an aquaintance "bye-bye iPhone, hello Blackberry". So I asked him how he likes the Torch and he said nah, Curve 3G - I just need a keyboard. He was in the jaded camp, but that's an unusual example I'm sure!

02-07-11 12:36 PM
    @deRusett did you never play with BB Unite? that was/is your definition of BHS.

If was a great product and i cannot believe RIM ****-canned it.

I still run mine at home....
    02-07-11 01:29 PM
    @deRusett did you never play with BB Unite? that was/is your definition of BHS.

If was a great product and i cannot believe RIM ****-canned it.

I still run mine at home....

I looked at it, but it didn't offer enough functionality,
    PLUS I really don't have a personal need for it, I just see other people who do, and have discussed with family's use of technology to better organize schedules, and the MAJOR lacking thing in the industry is an easy to manage/maintain group calendar and individual calendar, when 4 or more people in the home have multiple daily entries.
    02-07-11 01:42 PM
    you blow me away...damn you're awesome....
    02-07-11 01:48 PM
    you blow me away...damn you're awesome....
    that is what my BBM status says! hahaha
    02-07-11 01:50 PM
    ...which of course just reminded me of a certain very rude Monty Python song....but this is a family forum....
    02-07-11 02:55 PM
    This is an interesting question considering this is a major complaint levelled against RIM. I got a text yesterday from an aquaintance "bye-bye iPhone, hello Blackberry". So I asked him how he likes the Torch and he said nah, Curve 3G - I just need a keyboard. He was in the jaded camp, but that's an unusual example I'm sure!

Nice story. Maybe not so unusual.

I wonder how many tablet owners are beginning to feel underwhelmed by their phone apps.

Laptops have recently become powerful enough to play "real games", and nobody cares! Third rate games on a tablet are good enough. (Though I suspect we haven't seen the last of the hinge.)

My friends and I were looking for a specific sound file on the net last weekend. I on my Bold and they on their touchscreens. A few minutes into the search, we put away our phones and booted up my laptop.

02-07-11 05:09 PM
    I had an idea the other day. How about conventional phones (non-smart phones) from BB. Or perhaps the ability to turn off data to the device, marketed mainly towards teenagers.Think Curve or Style perhaps. This would be a great device for kids who love to text, and could allow parents to limit monitor the data via the BHS. Such devices could benefit from administrator only settings such as auto on/off (keeping those pesky kids from texting the night away) and data off. BB could sell more devices, parents could limit data to their kids and save costs, and everyone could stay synced via the BHS.

02-07-11 06:08 PM
    I had an idea the other day. How about conventional phones (non-smart phones) from BB. Or perhaps the ability to turn off data to the device, marketed mainly towards teenagers.Think Curve or Style perhaps. This would be a great device for kids who love to text, and could allow parents to limit monitor the data via the BHS. Such devices could benefit from administrator only settings such as auto on/off (keeping those pesky kids from texting the night away) and data off. BB could sell more devices, parents could limit data to their kids and save costs, and everyone could stay synced via the BHS.

My brother would thank you for that one. He got nailed with a $400 texting bill from one of his daughters. Didn't have to roam too far south of the border to run up those charges. Luckily we were there only there a few days or it could have been "expensive" .

Since we seem to be in blue sky mode here, does anyone forsee a day when you can package your smartphone a la carte'? For instance, you like the portrait slider form factor, but WinPho7 is your favourite OS. Is there any chance you could this? Grab a device and choose an OS to go? This crossed my mind when the rumblings were that BB6 was likely going to be with us on the first generation QNX phones. On the other hand, there is the buzz about getting Android apps on the Playbook. What if you could choose your own OS, be it BB6, Android or even WP7 and put it on the device of your choice?

What if...

....QNX could do that?
    Last edited by BlackStormRising; 02-08-11 at 07:58 PM.
    02-07-11 08:21 PM
    There are rumors of a Nokia/ Microsoft partnership. Which spoke about joining an ecosystem a little while back, that is why I guessed Elop.
    r

Although Nokia is on top, I don't see why Microsoft would want to bother with them. The only thing Nokia phones have going for them are those insanely good cameras.
    02-07-11 08:28 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD