I really do hope so because I want them to continue to succeed. But truth to tell I am less sure now.

This is technology, fast-paced, where 6 months is like 3 years in tech years and with (like it or not) increasingly demanding consumers. You simply cannot wait that long and not expect to be overtaken.
    If there was a change at the top I'd be a little more confident and I suspect the market would be too. But their last earnings call wasn't encouraging. If they are to remain relevant they have their work cut out...and it starts at the top.
    By definition a subscriber is "active"

Technology is funny, look at the low tech Kindle and how well is selling. Not everything has to be high tech and I don't want Blackberry to go that way.
    12-19-11 09:21 AM
    Technology is funny, look at the low tech Kindle and how well is selling. Not everything has to be high tech and I don't want Blackberry to go that way.

The Kindle is a very niche market tablet..which fills a role quite nicely and with relative user friendliness..thus it's success.

Technology isn't for everyone. Obviously you don't like high tech..but i'd say that the majority of the world does, as we've seen transition from VCR to BlueRay, typewriters to computers, horse and buggies to cars, and Blackberry's to hand held superphones.
    Blacklatino and teknishun like this.
    12-19-11 09:34 AM
    The Kindle is a very niche market tablet..which fills a role quite nicely and with relative user friendliness..thus it's success.

Technology isn't for everyone. Obviously you don't like high tech..but i'd say that the majority of the world does, as we've seen transition from VCR to BlueRay, typewriters to computers, horse and buggies to cars, and Blackberry's to hand held superphones.
    You mean from VCR to DVD, as it happens Blue Ray was too high tech, it never really caught on, at least in Europe it didn't. And I believe typeriters are very very expensive items these days

My point is Rim can't win on high tech and they should focus on low tech, after all their best selling phone was probably the 8520.

I would buy an eink blackberry. Look at the Mirasol Kyobo Ereader.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/19/kyobo-ereader-with-mirasol-display-gets-video-walkthrough-does/
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 12-19-11 at 09:48 AM.
    12-19-11 09:45 AM
    Absolutely not.

I think they should consider putting WP7 and possibly Android/WebOS on their new handsets.

Their hardware is amazing. Their software is okay. They are clearly not a software company.

At least do something to tide people over.
    12-19-11 09:54 AM
    Opinions are like certain parts of the anatomy: everybody's got 'em. So, here's mine.

OS7 is a good OS -- it's what OS6 should have been. For most things, it works well.

Video compatibility stinks. RIM needs to fix that. My html emails won't show all the images included. A screen the size of the 9810 or the 9850/60 should be able to display those. RIM needs to fix that, too. And market all the multimedia capabilities that nonBB owners think are missing on BBs.

Neither one had the 500,000 apps that iOS has. But is that bad? Yes, we're missing some of the popular games and there are some apps that never made it onto BBs. But the smaller number of apps means the user doesn't have to wade through a ton of crap to find quality stuff. And you don't have to figure out which one feature is the important one that differentiates one app from all the other clones to make it worthwhile buying that one.

Have you noticed that many of the phone manufacturers have succumbed to carriers wanting slight changes in hardware and features so it's harder to tell they're the same model as a competing carrier? Usually that's not such a good thing. And both Apple and RIM have avoided that. But for RIM, maybe variations of the hotter models, with OS7.1 or later, as interim models before the BB10 phones come out. RIM will become irrelevant if they wait a year to put something new out.

And their marketing department needs to get off their butts and actually do something. Relying on the carriers for advertising is like saying they don't care how well their phones sell or what perception people have of the company and the phones. If they don't care why should consumers think differently? They need to aggressively show consumers that Blackberries are relevant, highly usable phones.

If they do all that, RIM should be able to remain stable for the next year. And maybe even regain some market share.
    Last edited by kraski; 12-19-11 at 01:20 PM.
    ubizmo likes this.
    12-19-11 01:12 PM

OS7 is not selling very well now... but I don't think that the OS is the whole problem. In fact the Kindle is a perfect example of what RIM is getting wrong...

It isn't the most powerful tablet on the market, it really didn't get that great of reviews. But the price was good, Amazon saturated the market with advertising and most of all it offers the consumer a very easy way to get digital content. That combined has put Amazon in 2nd place in the tablet market (do you suppose that a year ago anyone at RIM taught they Amazon would have a tablet outselling them..)

RIM needs to do the same for both the PlayBook and BlackBerry's... or a great OS and the latest technology will do them no good.
    Blacklatino and teknishun like this.
    12-19-11 01:34 PM
    By definition a subscriber is "active"

I don't understand the point you are making here in reference to what I wrote... I know that a subscriber is active... and I didn't say anything about Blackberries having to go "high-tech"... or indeed that everything had to be high tech. So perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote.

My Blackberry (OS7) does everything I need it to - that's why I have it. It's a smartphone. That in itself is high-tech, particularly when you think back 10 years or so. Consumers are fickle and technology just gets obsolete faster, so companies cannot afford to rest on their laurels or fail to innovate or they will be overtaken. Let's face it nobody really "needs" a smartphone. But everyone apparently wants one.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 12-19-11 at 04:07 PM.
    12-19-11 03:54 PM
    I don't understand the point you are making here in reference to what I wrote... I know that a subscriber is active... and I didn't say anything about Blackberries having to go "high-tech"... or indeed that everything had to be high tech. So perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote.

My Blackberry (OS7) does everything I need it to - that's why I have it. It's a smartphone. That in itself is high-tech, particularly when you think back 10 years or so. Consumers are fickle and technology just gets obsolete faster, so companies cannot afford to rest on their laurels or fail to innovate or they will be overtaken. Let's face it nobody really "needs" a smartphone. But everyone apparently wants one.
    Lol, sorry, I must've got confused, first part was in reply to somebody else.
    12-19-11 04:29 PM
    I look forward to the upcoming blackberry's commercials. Might not
    be enough for consumers to switch, but I ll enjoy them lol.
    Im tire of seen 20 iphone4s like 1,000 window7 and 0 RIM commercials every night.
    Apple does good Advertising for sure I cant argue with that
    and very catchy
    Yeah, very few commercials. It would have been their (RIMs') best interest to push(hard) the devices that were the so called "stop-gap" blackberries until the new devices are actually out (to the carriers) for testing. Well, we'll see what commercials are available during tbe holidays. As far as BB10 devices, the hype doesn't matter if the dates are pushed back again - valid reasons or not.
    12-19-11 04:35 PM
    Yeah, very few commercials. It would have been their (RIMs') best interest to push(hard) the devices that were the so called "stop-gap" blackberries until the new devices are actually out (to the carriers) for testing. Well, we'll see what commercials are available during tbe holidays. As far as BB10 devices, the hype doesn't matter if the dates are pushed back again - valid reasons or not.
    Unfortunately, they already missed the boat for any holiday sales, unless they're hoping people get devices they don't want and take back, or gift cards for carrier stores.
    12-19-11 04:40 PM
    Unfortunately, they already missed the boat for any holiday sales, unless they're hoping people get devices they don't want and take back, or gift cards for carrier stores.
    I know. Definitely missed some sales opportunities.
    12-19-11 04:43 PM
    Just got my 9860 late last night. Do I've only had couple hrs with the os7. I can say WOW. After spending some more time I might expand my thoughts. I think Rim should skip over os7.5 and release an os8. Theme it like the PB's UI. I think that will spin a pretty big web. For now that's all I got.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-11 07:11 AM
    Just got my 9860 late last night. Do I've only had couple hrs with the os7. I can say WOW. After spending some more time I might expand my thoughts. I think Rim should skip over os7.5 and release an os8. Theme it like the PB's UI. I think that will spin a pretty big web. For now that's all I got.

But what kind of things would be included in an OS8? If it looked similar to the PlayBook UI it would make BB10 less of a jump. RIM should be focusing its time on getting basic features out to the hungry PlayBook users and completing BB10 so it can be available as soon as possible.
    12-20-11 02:34 PM
    �During its conference call, RIM executives stated their BlackBerry 10 would be delayed until midyear because they are waiting for a specific, but unnamed chipset to become available. This is clearly disappointing for RIM investors, but what about investors in the chipset company? Are there reasons to think the chipset is from Qualcomm and, if so, will it be late with its new Snapdragon chips or is RIM's schedule simply in line with Qualcomm's last stated commitment?
    Stock is 12.80 TSE.

Don't know what the bottom will be.
    12-20-11 03:08 PM
    I know. Definitely missed some sales opportunities.
    Tell me about it bruh. I missed out on a free 9860. That cost me $50. Lmao
    Tmelon, agreed. If it where me and by what I see thus far I would have adhoc abilties with bluetooth and wireless. Now you'll be able to stream stuff from laptops, desktops, even consoles.
    I think being themed liked the PB (keep in mind I don't have 1 and only played w/ 1 for a couple minutes) it will prepare us for qnx. I would code app changer to where the open apps is off screen. So what you do is swipe screen left or right and your in another app. I would have a drop down tray above it so you can close it or refresh or even kill it. The trays are just there. I had read a couple months ago that your suppose to be able to customize the trays in os7. I haven't found it yet.
    Oh os8 would have hard and soft resets with the physcal buttons. That's allni can think of right now.

12-20-11 03:49 PM
    Tell me about it bruh. I missed out on a free 9860. That cost me $50. Lmao

Tmelon, agreed. If it where me and by what I see thus far I would have adhoc abilties with bluetooth and wireless. Now you'll be able to stream stuff from laptops, desktops, even consoles.

I think being themed liked the PB (keep in mind I don't have 1 and only played w/ 1 for a couple minutes) it will prepare us for qnx. I would code app changer to where the open apps is off screen. So what you do is swipe screen left or right and your in another app. I would have a drop down tray above it so you can close it or refresh or even kill it. The trays are just there. I had read a couple months ago that your suppose to be able to customize the trays in os7. I haven't found it yet.

Oh os8 would have hard and soft resets with the physcal buttons. That's allni can think of right now.

The very devices that RIM is allowing (well, not anymore) to be dismissed will be the same that helps them steer thru "troubled waters" now that the 10 BlackBerries have been pushed back to a later date. I don't believe getting OS 2 out for my Playbook or getting out a Refresh(gen. 2) Playbook 3/4G will be enough. So, now, our stop gap devices are relevant.

Sent from my Bad Azz BlackBerry 9810 on .74/.150 over .585 using Tapatalk (*_~)
    12-21-11 06:36 AM
    Im happy with my OS 7 and will patiently wait for BB10
    maybe do a switch from my 9810 to a 9900 later down the line.
    to sum it up Americans are NEVER SATISFIED they want more.
    people just got their hands on iphone4s now they are impatiently
    waiting for iphone5
    What sucks is that all this pressure is gonna make RIM rush
    these phones and that sucks for someone like me who's willing
    to wait for a great finished product.
    Apparently RIM has missed this point.
    12-21-11 10:30 AM
    I want to give RIM a chance. But all the signs are present pointing to it's demise in the smartphone market. Their latest announcement to release their new BBx phones at the end of 2012, will be way too late to catch up to iOS and the android phones. Reality is finally starting to sink in. I really wanted to wait for these new phones but I have a feeling by the time they are released they will have nothing new to offer in the smartphone market. If someone like Steve Jobs was running the show @ RIM, blackberry's would be at the top....but alas, my bold 9780 may be the last blackberry i ever get.........
    12-22-11 04:47 PM
    Ask yourself this, what can iOS and Android do? Let's say pretty much everything!

Now think, BB10 goes beyond what Android and iOS can do. Hit out with a bang of promotions and deals and the biggest ad campaign you've ever seen and then we will see what happens.

Let's give RIM a chance. They know things are tough and they did invent the smartphone. I feel they are going to be the ones to reinvent it too!

Who knows! People might be bored of Android and iOS and switch to BB or back to BB! And then the delay would all be worth it.

"Good things come to those who wait"
    "Only fools rush in"
    12-22-11 05:40 PM
    Ask yourself this, what can iOS and Android do? Let's say pretty much everything!

Now think, BB10 goes beyond what Android and iOS can do. Hit out with a bang of promotions and deals and the biggest ad campaign you've ever seen and then we will see what happens.

Let's give RIM a chance. They know things are tough and they did invent the smartphone. I feel they are going to be the ones to reinvent it too!

Who knows! People might be bored of Android and iOS and switch to BB or back to BB! And then the delay would all be worth it.

"Good things come to those who wait"
    "Only fools rush in"
    As of now it's not possible for any BB10 device to pass up iOS or Android in functionality due to the lack of 3rd party apps. All of the PlayBook apps would have to be redesigned for the different screen resolutions and Android player doesn't seem to be fully functional as of now.

If that BGR report is true then things aren't looking too good for BB10. Not sure whether or not to believe RIM's response.
    12-22-11 08:31 PM
    As of now it's not possible for any BB10 device to pass up iOS or Android in functionality due to the lack of 3rd party apps. All of the PlayBook apps would have to be redesigned for the different screen resolutions and Android player doesn't seem to be fully functional as of now.

If that BGR report is true then things aren't looking too good for BB10. Not sure whether or not to believe RIM's response.

Unfortunately. that's true for a lot of us. I developed a tactic after delays for devices over the years. I ignore whatever RIM says, along with the endless hype threads on here until the device is out and I can see for myself.

Sent from my Bad Azz BlackBerry 9810 on Meccas'> .74/Inception/.585os using Tapatalk (*_~)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-23-11 11:42 PM
    Releasing a new series every year actually makes alot of sense. Most people are on two year contracts so they hit every other phone generational cycle so to speak. I know I wont shell out the extra to upgrade to BB 10 next year without a really good reason. OS7 is just fine and an extra year will do qnx some good anyways.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    12-24-11 12:26 AM
    i dont think OS7 alone is enough to be used as a stop gap until next xmas. over the next year they need to get the word out about BB10. they have to make people look forward to it. make then hang on for the end of the year. OS2 for the PB will help bring people back to RIM and hopefully give them some good PR for once.
    the trick to all this is that RIM doesnt have a good track record with keeping promises so they might tell everyone that BB10 is going to rock but they need to show us some cold hard facts that what they say is going to be whats in it.
    12-24-11 02:47 AM
    i dont think OS7 alone is enough to be used as a stop gap until next xmas. over the next year they need to get the word out about BB10. they have to make people look forward to it. make then hang on for the end of the year. OS2 for the PB will help bring people back to RIM and hopefully give them some good PR for once.
    the trick to all this is that RIM doesnt have a good track record with keeping promises so they might tell everyone that BB10 is going to rock but they need to show us some cold hard facts that what they say is going to be whats in it.
    BB OS7 is not stop gap, it will continue on regardless of BB10.
    12-24-11 02:55 AM
    Symbian has already been pulled from markets like the US because it has never sold well there. New Symbian devices and OS updates are rolling out, and will be supported until 2016. I have no idea what RIM plans on doing with BBOS.

You are right, Nokia had a huge head start on making their transition to WP. They were also able to reuse the N9 chassis (with a few modifications) to create their "high end" WP device. Nokia Maps and Drive already existed on Symbian so they just had to port it over. My Nokia comparison is not perfect, but let me see if I can clarify my feelings so that they are a little more inline with what some BB owners might be feeling.

When the N8 came out, it was the flagship device from Nokia, possessing an iconic feature (the camera) that no other phone has yet to best. All other phones were derivatives of the same internals like CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. The things that differentiated the phones were screen size, keyboard, camera, and the like. Moreover, the N8 might have been the best ever phone from Nokia, but it slightly lagged the competition, which was evolving at a faster pace them. It wasn't long before the N8 was more than "slightly" behind iOS and Android; it was pretty glaring. RIM is in a very similar situation. The 9900 is the best ever BlackBerry with a keyboard that in a class of its own. But it cannot perform at the level of some Android devices and the 4S. The BB portfolio is rounded out with "variations on a theme," that is same internals with a different form factor.

My N8 was frustratingly clunky and outdated compared to other phones. While there are several things that I love about it, the day to day use was not as smooth and as efficient as other phones. If it weren't for the Anna update, I probably would have sold the thing on CL. The point is, Anna gave me a new outlook on the N8. Suddenly it wasn't so bad after all. Annoyances were addressed, strengths like the camera were improved, etc. I was excited to use the "old" and "outdated" phone. The Belle update has me even more excited. I think if OS7 is to remain relevant in this time of transition, then RIM has to keep current BB owners happy and excited to use their phones until the transition is complete. For reasons you stated above, a Belle-like update (drastic reworking of UI and under the hood mechanics) probably isn't in the cards. But believe me, Symbian users were and are excited/thankful for the Anna update.
    Evidence that Rim can do simliar is with the 9800 the latest Firmware 706 I think it is while doing to remarkably different to what the Torch did feature wise when launched now runs very smoothly for what the HArdware is and has lots of little improvements UI and under the bonnet which make it that bit better to use day to day.

Possibly rather than pumping huge amounts into Marketing, ensuring that the Firmware for all its major devices is improved so users find there day to day satisfaction is higher might reap them better rewards longterm. Most people ask or notice their peers thoughts and feelings towards a device. If the USers all seem to be happy and just getting on with using. I still get emails from all about Symbian and it does seem the Firmware changes have had a positive affect on the userbase..

If the firmware is updated and proven to show dramatic improvments in user satisfaction then possibly the carriers might off more updates and more importantly OTA (rarely done in the UK) so less techy users might update. This is also key in the UK sometimes the major carriers never release a new firmware for a long period of the lifetime of the device!! Not showing Rim products in a good light surely, rim need to alter this Apple would never let it happen..

If Blackberry really wanted to tie in users possibly setting update stations in major Cities hangouts (Stations, Shopping Malls) where for free you can get the latest firmware for your device with all your data intact if an issue your data is transferred to a loan device while things are sorted. That or work out a way for a non techy minded person to update there phone stress free..

In countries like the UK where 37 percent of the youth own Crackberries ensuring they have the best experience of the device they own might tie them in?

I see people on public transport using the 9800 etc and I just know that they are using the orignal firmware .206 or earlier possible. This is not going to give them the experience they need, simply giving them better firmware which just makes things a little smoother would make happier users and they have a tendecy to repeat buy and pass on the message to their peers. Nerds might not have many peers to infulence but a sociable teenager who is not in to learning how to or to scared to update their firmware will possible be a walking advert for Blackberry..
    12-24-11 04:59 AM
102 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD