At least on T-Mobile. The new Bold is $100 more expensive than any of the new 4G Android devices. Why'd they do this?
    09-18-11 03:45 AM
    Because there is no competition to the 9900 on the market.

There is no well made, portrait qwerty device.
    And despite what media pundits say, the BlackBerry as a brand still commands more than Samsung, HTC, Motorolla, etc as Brands.
    Though I am confident Samsung is on their way to changing that.

RIM is making excellent margins on the OS7 phones, and the carriers are passing the costs onto the consumers willing to pay

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-11 05:22 AM
    As far as I'm concerned, those other phones are competition. Form Factor isn't a big factor to me (excuse the redundancy). I'm due to buy a new phone in a month or two. If the price remains that high, I can't consider it.
    09-18-11 10:07 AM
    Samsung and Motorola both individually sell more handsets than rim

09-18-11 10:22 AM
    Because there is no competition to the 9900 on the market.

There is no well made, portrait qwerty device.
    And despite what media pundits say, the BlackBerry as a brand still commands more than Samsung, HTC, Motorolla, etc as Brands.
    Though I am confident Samsung is on their way to changing that.

RIM is making excellent margins on the OS7 phones, and the carriers are passing the costs onto the consumers willing to pay

I don't despute your comments a bit but of course through VZW I paid $249.00 for my 9930 - $30.00 for the NE2 upgrade but I remember 2 years ago buying my Tour it was $199.00 and I received a $70.00 debit card back also. It does not seem that RIM or the carriers are willing to work with pricing anymore, The carriers more than RIM and personally although I paid for it I still think it is too much for this new Bold especially since there is very little advertising from RIM or the carriers.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-19-11 at 11:37 AM.
    09-18-11 10:45 AM
    In my opinion, and I love the BlackBerry. But RIM is getting arrogant with the prices, I cannot believe here in the UK the Bold 9990 is on Vodafone �36 a month to get the handset for free. Wake up RIM! Lower the prices to make the phone more attractive. I personally think they should lower the profit margins to get sales, which in turn will increase the market share, which will send the analysts soaring and soon the share price rising.

SIM Free, it's about �500ish. That's way too much in my opinion. Especially when the iPhone 4 is at that price. Not saying I'd buy an iPhone 4 but price is what I think sets out the choice. After all, the reason I have a Torch is (well, I wouldn't have any other phone other than a BB!) but it was significantly cheaper than the Android's and the iPhone.

Lower the prices of the BlackBerry 7 handsets and include a voucher to get a PlayBook at half price. See what happens!!!
    09-18-11 12:24 PM
    Rim doesn't make the price (as far as I know) its the carriers

09-18-11 12:34 PM
    I think rim sets an MSRP, but carriers can set whatever price they want.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    09-18-11 12:57 PM
    Rim doesn't make the price (as far as I know) its the carriers

You are right and those prices that the carriers get so greedy with are based on what RIM sells them to then for or helps to subsidize them with pricing. When you walk into my local carrier and they moved this BB display from a year ago from the front of the store to the very back corner and hardly talk about it and push every phone but BB and they tell you that is the best price and we can't do anything about it, it really is a shame. Oh well that is the carriers for you.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-19-11 at 11:39 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-18-11 12:58 PM
    As far as I'm concerned, those other phones are competition. Form Factor isn't a big factor to me (excuse the redundancy). I'm due to buy a new phone in a month or two. If the price remains that high, I can't consider it.
    Then The Bold isn't for you

Form Factor IS a major factor for many people, especially people considering a Blackberry due to the Premium cost.

You've got tools on here basing everything about RIM on their Stock value, then people complaining in the next breath that RIM's phones are too expensive, RIM has lost some value because of Margin erosion, they aren't about to drop their prices on flagship products.

ry In my opinion, and I love the BlackBerry. But RIM is getting arrogant with the prices, I cannot believe here in the UK the Bold 9990 is on Vodafone �36 a month to get the handset for free. Wake up RIM! Lower the prices to make the phone more attractive. I personally think they should lower the profit margins to get sales, which in turn will increase the market share, which will send the analysts soaring and soon the share price rising.
    You don't really have a clue do you!!! Market share doesn't matter as much as Profit, for a company's well being! and RIM has taken more of a hit these last 2 quarters on margin erosion form investors than from Market share loss.
    in the profit vs revenue debate they would need to evaluate at what price to they increase volumes enough to make up for lost profit, and I'd bet they are pretty close on that metric with the line up from Bold to Curve.
    09-18-11 02:25 PM
    I think rim sets an MSRP, but carriers can set whatever price they want.

as was proven by CrackBerry Kevin, even MSRP's are set by the Carrier, the 9900 had different off contract prices between Rogers and Telus, a $70 difference I believe.
    09-18-11 02:27 PM
    as was proven by CrackBerry Kevin, even MSRP's are set by the Carrier, the 9900 had different off contract prices between Rogers and Telus, a $70 difference I believe.
    I was unaware of that. Thanks!

09-18-11 06:23 PM
    Volume. The more you sell the lower the price can be.

Carriers do not sell near the number of BBs vs IPhones and Droids.

Tim
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    09-18-11 07:25 PM
    I believe the pricing of the 9900 Bold is comparable to other high end devices. Verizon sold the Charge for $300 I believe. And they are selling the Bionic for the same price. The Epic sold on Sprint for $250 initially. And the iPhone is $200 and $300 depending on the memory you want. From what I hear, the Bold is made of premium materials. Why shouldn't they price their phones accordingly?
    09-18-11 07:48 PM
    the best reason i have for saying it's overpriced is because when qnx drops in a couple months these phones will be done, sure they'll carry over carrier supported updates, but development for it will be absolutely history. which is what makes a phone last. you're basically paying for a phone that is dead in the box. that's just my opinion, maybe some people don't like having access to development to extend the life/function of the phone. just my $.02 at least with the iphone/android option, you're going to have access to all of the apps/updates/new features coming for likely 2 years. these os7 phones don't get qnx
    09-18-11 07:50 PM
    Phone prices are getting ridiculous! $250 for the Thunderbolt I nearly passed out!

What happened to the $99 price point? Are the newer phones really that much more to build or subsidize?
    09-18-11 07:56 PM
    Phone prices are getting ridiculous! $250 for the Thunderbolt I nearly passed out!

What happened to the $99 price point? Are the newer phones really that much more to build or subsidize?
    Inflation? Profit margins? Perception?

In Ontario the minimum wage has increased more than 60% in the last 6 years, if you look at things like that pricing going up is unfortunately easy to understand

09-18-11 08:00 PM
    Then The Bold isn't for you

Form Factor IS a major factor for many people, especially people considering a Blackberry due to the Premium cost.

You've got tools on here basing everything about RIM on their Stock value, then people complaining in the next breath that RIM's phones are too expensive, RIM has lost some value because of Margin erosion, they aren't about to drop their prices on flagship products.

You don't really have a clue do you!!! Market share doesn't matter as much as Profit, for a company's well being! and RIM has taken more of a hit these last 2 quarters on margin erosion form investors than from Market share loss.
    in the profit vs revenue debate they would need to evaluate at what price to they increase volumes enough to make up for lost profit, and I'd bet they are pretty close on that metric with the line up from Bold to Curve.
    Form Factor isn't a major factor for me.

Price is.

The fact that the phone is overpriced does not mean it is not for me.

That's the most arrogant thing I've ever been told on a forum.

The fact that the only new Blackberry they have on my carrier is a non-choice because they priced it $100 more than every other new phone is a problem, IMO.
    09-19-11 12:05 AM
    You're going to spend thousands over the course of your contract, but you'll save 50 bucks on the phone LOL :roll eyes:
    That's the most ignorant thing I've heard on the forum.
    09-19-11 12:06 AM
    50 bucks or 100 its what you get for your money. I've never experienced an outage of any kind since I left bis, which was down regularly, so os rather spend thousands on something reliable

09-19-11 12:13 AM
    50 bucks or 100 its what you get for your money. I've never experienced an outage of any kind since I left bis, which was down regularly, so os rather spend thousands on something reliable

N8ter was saying that he wouldn't consider the phone if the price remains high.
    I was saying that you should consider what phone works best for you first and consider price last.
    $100 premium is a very small price to pay for having the phone that works best for you over the term of your multi thousand dollar contract.
    09-19-11 12:38 AM
    See next post.
    Last edited by N8ter; 09-19-11 at 02:06 AM.
    09-19-11 01:52 AM
    N8ter was saying that he wouldn't consider the phone if the price remains high.
    I was saying that you should consider what phone works best for you first and consider price last.
    $100 premium is a very small price to pay for having the phone that works best for you over the term of your multi thousand dollar contract.
    Contract is the same cost regardless of device, because the plan is identical.

$100 is not a trivial amount of cash, especially in the age of $99-199 subsidized devices. Not even a 16GB iPhone sells for that much on subsidy, and hardly any Android phones subsidize for more than $250.

You haven't given me any decent reason why the phone should be that high.

The reason why people buy phones on contract is so that they don't have to pay ridiculous amounts of cash up front. Whether the contract is a good deal is their business.

The phone is more expensive off contract as well, so I dunno what you're going on about. Even if I had $540 cash ($499+ tax) it wouldn't buy the bold but it could buy outright pretty much any other smartphone in the store.

This is a new line of thought, though. The phone being for you is dependent on the weight of one's bank account!
    Last edited by N8ter; 09-19-11 at 02:07 AM.
    09-19-11 01:55 AM
    This is a new line of thought, though. The phone being for you is dependent on the weight of one's bank account!
    Wow! If an extra $100 every two years stresses your bank account, you probably shouldn't have a cell phone at all.

Don't want to pay all that money up front? try saving $5 a month over the length of your next contract and you'll have enough to choose any phone you want and not be restricted by the weight of your bank account.

Oh, that's right. Some people don't know how to save money anymore (as evidenced by the state of the economy).
    homer1475 and Jaguarr40 like this.
    09-19-11 02:40 AM
    Form Factor isn't a major factor for me.

Price is.

The fact that the phone is overpriced does not mean it is not for me.

That's the most arrogant thing I've ever been told on a forum.

The fact that the only new Blackberry they have on my carrier is a non-choice because they priced it $100 more than every other new phone is a problem, IMO.
    I forgot who I was replying too...

Yes the world revolves around your choices, and desires, so this phone is for you and should have been priced at a lower price than devices that offer different things.

And clearly these new phones are just collecting dust on the carrier shelves because of their pricepoint
    09-19-11 08:27 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD