Unimpressed with new BlackBerry phones, analysts cut RIM targets

Check out this posted on BGR today regarding OS7 devices, calling the 9900/9930, and the 2 torches underwhelming basically, according to analysts (as always on BGR).

I very rarely lose my cool on stuff like this, but my thoughts on BGR kind of came to a head today and I explained myself in the comments - read the conversation, my posts are under my name, Mark Jenkins.

After what I wrote began gaining traction, they revoked my ability to post comments over 1-2 lines. Absolutely sickening.

Have a look at this, Crackberry nation - I received a bunch of kudos over twitter as a result of this, BGR clearly employs a twisted methodology against anyone speaking logically/truthfully. Very sad.

I encourage all of you to give it a read and chip in.
    08-04-11 01:57 PM
    I am beginning to get the opinion that BGR is getting to be like Hockey Buzz when it comes to accurate and honest reporting but people still buy into the drivel.
    Wretch 12 likes this.
    08-04-11 02:04 PM
    you realize that BGR didnt write the article at all right? BGR themselves seem to like the devices, as they even stated in the first 2 lines. People are again jumping to conclusions just because its BGR.

This is the source

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...es-not-enough/
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-04-11 at 02:09 PM.
    08-04-11 02:06 PM
    I gave you a round of applause their and I'll do the same here. Made some excellent points there Mr. Jenkins.
    jenks5150 likes this.
    08-04-11 02:07 PM
    BGR has been on record saying they love the 9900. I'm just confused on why they quoted AT&T saying the 9900 with be available later this month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 02:09 PM
    If you will closely navigate them,
    They always sing apple' iSong
    iThis iThat....iBlah.....
    they covered most of not so charming news for RIM
    I guess they should rename to iBGR

08-04-11 02:16 PM
    you realize that BGR didnt write the article at all right? BGR themselves seem to like the devices, as they even stated in the first 2 lines. People are again jumping to conclusions just because its BGR.

This is the source

RIM: Jefferies, Sterne Agee Cut Targets; New Phones Not Enough - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

Yes I realize this of course - my issue is with the ongoing big picture of their reporting; in how they selectively pick the most negative, 'journalistic passive aggressive' material if you will. They always take outside sources who really don't know what they're talking about and use it to bash RIM. If you read what I wrote on there you'll see what I mean.
    08-04-11 02:34 PM
    I am beginning to get the opinion that BGR is getting to be like Hockey Buzz when it comes to accurate and honest reporting but people still buy into the drivel.
    whats wrong with hockey buzz thought eklund said that stamkos will be signing with our dear leafs.
    08-04-11 02:37 PM
    Yes I realize this of course - my issue is with the ongoing big picture of their reporting; in how they selectively pick the most negative, 'journalistic passive aggressive' material if you will. They always take outside sources who really don't know what they're talking about and use it to bash RIM. If you read what I wrote on there you'll see what I mean.
    i never read or pay attention to the comments because its always worthless **** sligging back and forth. Anyone reading them is bound to get upset about something and let it bother them. I just read the article and continue with my day.
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-04-11 at 02:54 PM.
    08-04-11 02:42 PM
    I was a loyal BB user since the late 90's and really liked thier products. I hate to break the news, but I believe we are seeing the death rattle of RIM. They haven't brought out any new innovative devices or technology since the release of the Storm, and it was an absolute disaster! The Torch you say? It was basically a normal BB with a slide out keyboard and touch screen, competitors had this technology on the market 2 years prior. They have been riding the success of the original BB for the last 10 years. Innovation stopped a long time ago at RIM. They are so far behind the competition, it will be impossible to catch up. As an old football announcer used to say, "Turn out the lights the party is over"
    08-04-11 02:48 PM
    Unfortunately this is just confirmation of "the pecking order" Rim has found itself in...
    ...With the positive things RIM has going for it already it's not beyond possibility they can pull out of this mess.
    ....In fact I'm counting on it.

RIM builds a very high quality "phone" that processes email better than anything else on the market...
    ...It also has the best keyboard in the business and I would say battery life as well.
    ...It appears this is where it ends however.

RIM has had it's lunch eaten because it lost it's connection to the corporate world which evolved it's needs for a smartphone...
    ...Apple and RIM could see this and wasted zero time in taking advantage of it.
    ...RIM is now paying a heavy price for a total lack of "Research in Motion".

If RIM can update it's BIS in time they can ride this thing out and bring some real fighters into the ring in 2012 / 13...
    ...Everyone knows they are still playing catch-up with Droid and Apple.
    ...let's hope they can be faster about catching up.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-04-11 at 03:01 PM.
    08-04-11 02:53 PM
    BGR just had an article recently about how much one of their editors loves the Playbook...
    08-04-11 03:56 PM
    To add to the list of things that RIM unarguably does much better than the competition...

1) E-mail

2) Battery life

3) Data compression/reservation/Efficiency due to the pioneering of data packet technology

4) Security (becoming increasingly more important each day)

5) Communications at large due to great keyboard

6) Maximization of performance from hardware

7) Things taken for granted such as call quality, speakerphone

After the conversation on that BGR article today, I've had a bunch of people contact me over twitter and personally via e-mail - and all of them say the same thing stated here:

That BlackBerry is out of the game because they haven't released any new products in a while. That's true - now they have a fantastic new line of phones coming out. However people fail to release that RIM is not going anywhere as a business, as they are #1 in many, many countries around the world - the only thing people can criticise RIM about is in the HIGH END, AMERICAN smartphone market. Their new products are top notch and extremely competitive - and extremely innovative when you look at the way they are evolving communications with things like the Wikitude augmented reality browser.

So I will post the same challenge that I gave those who e-mailed me.

If you can name me THREE things, which are not brand specific or hardware dependent (e.g video chat, we're talking about software here), that iOS and Android clearly can do that RIM cannot with BBOS, advantages that they have as a communications device (we're talking about smartphones here), that are IRREFUTABLE, then I will publicly admit it here on CrackBerry, on BGR, on my twitter account (@murkjenkins). I'll keep an eye on this thread for the next little while.

Cheers.
    08-04-11 04:06 PM
    BGR just had an article recently about how much one of their editors loves the Playbook...

I'm aware, Zach Epstein. That's unrelated to the quarrel here, however.

In fact one comment on the thread exclaimed how the positive article about the PlayBook seemed like a mere attempt to add credibility to BGR's poignant RIM-bashing.
    08-04-11 04:07 PM
    I was a loyal BB user since the late 90's and really liked thier products. I hate to break the news, but I believe we are seeing the death rattle of RIM. They haven't brought out any new innovative devices or technology since the release of the Storm, and it was an absolute disaster! The Torch you say? It was basically a normal BB with a slide out keyboard and touch screen, competitors had this technology on the market 2 years prior. They have been riding the success of the original BB for the last 10 years. Innovation stopped a long time ago at RIM. They are so far behind the competition, it will be impossible to catch up. As an old football announcer used to say, "Turn out the lights the party is over"
    Sorry but 60 fps video refresh, best in class browser, still unrivaled email/messaging/notifications, BBM integration into apps, etc. are innovative.
    jenks5150 likes this.
    08-04-11 04:12 PM
    Sorry but 60 fps video refresh, best in class browser, still unrivaled email/messaging/notifications, BBM integration into apps, etc. are innovative.

Exactly. People keep e-mailing me with the cliche that RIM is dead because their phones are out-of-date, BBOS is slow, laggy etc.

My WHOLE POINT is that BlackBerry 7 IS a worthwhile and VERY significant upgrade. It has fantastic features which are competitive if not better than the competition, all while still being first and foremost the most efficient and productive messaging device on the market.

People really need to refer more often to CrackBerry Kevin's 'Hierarchy of Smartphone Needs' pyramid.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-04-11 04:32 PM
    That's not innovation. That's your opinion. The browser doesn't have flash.. so tell me how its best in class? Bbm is cool.. but the apps are garbage and overpriced. So integration isn't a factor. The email is good.. until you attach media to it. Blackberries are great phones. But let's not make excuses. They have NOT been innovative. Adding a kickstand was innovative! The first touch screen was innovative! Wireless hotspot was innovative! 3d, although a crappy gimmick.. is innovative!!!!! I'm a horrible troll with flaming hair and purple teeth!!! Arghhhhh!!!! Not really.. just me voicing my opinion. I've bought 3 blackberries in a year and a half.. all of which felt like the saaaame phone. the 9930.. is still my preferred device. But I doubt it brings anything new to the table.

Last edited by West Coast Flavor; 08-04-11 at 04:40 PM.
    08-04-11 04:35 PM

This is the source

RIM: Jefferies, Sterne Agee Cut Targets; New Phones Not Enough - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    Oh great its Barons...should probably be renamed Bafoons AFAIC.

This caught my eye tho
    For fiscal 2013, he cut his numbers to $23.4 billion and $5.30 per share from a prior $24.1 billion and $5.70 per share.

Only for this year
    Wu cut his estimate for this year to $20.7 billion in revenue and $5.10 in EPS, down from $20.9 billion and $5.15. The Street is modeling $20.6 billion and $5.19 per share.

So between 2012 and 2013 they see 23.4B-20.7B = 2.7B in revenue. So they forecast RIM to earn more money even without seeing anything from QNX.

Lightbulbs should be going off 3-2-1... or am I missing something?
    08-04-11 04:42 PM
    That's not innovation. That's your opinion. The browser doesn't have flash.. so tell me how its best in class? Bbm is cool.. but the apps are garbage and overpriced. So integration isn't a factor. The email is good.. until you attach media to it. Blackberries are great phones. But let's not make excuses. They have NOT been innovative. Adding a kickstand was innovative! The first touch screen was innovative! Wireless hotspot was innovative! 3d, although a crappy gimmick.. is innovative!!!!! I'm a horrible troll with flaming hair and purple teeth!!! Arghhhhh!!!! Not really.. just me voicing my opinion. I've bought 3 blackberries in a year and a half.. all of which felt like the saaaame phone. the 9930.. is still my preferred device. But I doubt it brings anything new to the table.

I would not want a kickstand on a phone. All touchscreen (meaning devices that have ONLY touch as input) devices are a step backwards in useability in my opinion. Wireless hotspot is nice once they invent new battery tech that can actually make it useful without killing your battery and depriving you of use of the device. Do not care for 3D; most do not. So I guess you can call innovation "relative" to the perceiving person.
    08-04-11 04:46 PM
    The Wikitude world browser and the way it is integrated with messaging and other features of the device is innovative. Its something other platforms haven't done yet; that's the definition of innovative.
    southlander likes this.
    08-04-11 05:06 PM
    To add to the list of things that RIM unarguably does much better than the competition...

1) E-mail

2) Battery life

3) Data compression/reservation/Efficiency due to the pioneering of data packet technology

4) Security (becoming increasingly more important each day)

5) Communications at large due to great keyboard

6) Maximization of performance from hardware

7) Things taken for granted such as call quality, speakerphone

After the conversation on that BGR article today, I've had a bunch of people contact me over twitter and personally via e-mail - and all of them say the same thing stated here:

That BlackBerry is out of the game because they haven't released any new products in a while. That's true - now they have a fantastic new line of phones coming out. However people fail to release that RIM is not going anywhere as a business, as they are #1 in many, many countries around the world - the only thing people can criticise RIM about is in the HIGH END, AMERICAN smartphone market. Their new products are top notch and extremely competitive - and extremely innovative when you look at the way they are evolving communications with things like the Wikitude augmented reality browser.

So I will post the same challenge that I gave those who e-mailed me.

If you can name me THREE things, which are not brand specific or hardware dependent (e.g video chat, we're talking about software here), that iOS and Android clearly can do that RIM cannot with BBOS, advantages that they have as a communications device (we're talking about smartphones here), that are IRREFUTABLE, then I will publicly admit it here on CrackBerry, on BGR, on my twitter account (@murkjenkins). I'll keep an eye on this thread for the next little while.

Cheers.
    here are some categories that ios and android have some advantages. im not saying they are the end all showstopping features but for some users these are key. I did limit it to software features

1. activesync/exchange support for email/calendar/contacts
    2. widgets - they enhance productivity by a ton, no need to open apps for info, just a quick glance to give you all you need.
    3. BBOS was built for keyboards. Its still not optimized for touch
    4. truncation (more bis/bes than BBOS)
    5. flash support
    08-04-11 05:47 PM
    The Wikitude world browser and the way it is integrated with messaging and other features of the device is innovative. Its something other platforms haven't done yet; that's the definition of innovative.
    google goggles is very similar actually and wikitude is available on the other platforms as well
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-04-11 at 05:54 PM.
    08-04-11 05:47 PM
    google goggles is very similar actually and wikitude is available on the other platforms as well
    Yes true. But none of the other platforms integrate with BBM. Maybe it's just me, but I think being able to hold your device up in a room and scope out other BlackBerry/BBM users is kind of cool. Of course RIM will have to manage privacy correctly.
    08-04-11 06:12 PM
    Yes true. But none of the other platforms integrate with BBM. Maybe it's just me, but I think being able to hold your device up in a room and scope out other BlackBerry/BBM users is kind of cool. Of course RIM will have to manage privacy correctly.
    ooh i am sure they will. It will probably be limited to only people you have on your BBM list or an on/off switch for public viewing.
    08-04-11 06:55 PM
    ooh i am sure they will. It will probably be limited to only people you have on your BBM list or an on/off switch for public viewing.
    from all of the video's and previews of it I think that it is VERY MUCH limited only to people with BBM6 and that are on your list.
    08-04-11 07:03 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD