hey guys

it's my first post here..and I'd like to thank crackberry.com, it's because of you I got into Blackberrys...and finally about 3 weeks ago I got a Bold 9780 which I'm in love with...

well...I came here with a problem, unfortunately for about 2 weeks the GPS on my Bold isn't working... I keep getting the message "GPS temporarily unavailable" when I try to use it with google maps v.4.5.3

i have to mention that it worked in it's first week...in the GPS Location section I have the data from the last use, time is 16th may, lat, long, accuracy 7 meters, and numer of satellites is 6...so it used to work....
    but all of a sudden...it stoped...
    the GPS Data Source is set to Device GPS
    Location Services set to Location On
    Location Aiding is se to Enabled
    the google maps permissions are all set on 'Allow'
    i tried the GPS lock outside, I tried about 4 times pulling the battery...

and still no positive result...
    do you guys have any other suggestions?
    sould I upgrade the os?

thanks
    05-25-11 03:31 PM
    well to start welcome,
    second you should always upgrade your os to the current or near the current, .285 is painfully old, newer software fixes old problems.
    second the gps service may be down where you are mine works fine.
    05-25-11 03:44 PM
    well to start welcome,
    second you should always upgrade your os to the current or near the current, .285 is painfully old, newer software fixes old problems.
    second the gps service may be down where you are mine works fine.
    Agreed. Anything from .480 up.

And welcome to the forums.
    05-25-11 03:54 PM
    hey nick,
    thanks for your fast reply,
    yes, I thought I should upgrade, the .285 is the os that the device came with...
    I live in Romania, that's in EU, and I didn't thought that gps services might be down... it can be a possibility..but..for 2 weeks?? seems weird...
    anyway I'll upgrade the os and see what happens..

and I have another question that I forgot to post:
    I have a friend that owns a Samsung Galaxy S, and he connects his phone to a WiFi link, and uses Google Maps without paying,
    I tried the same thing (I've connected my 9780 to my wireless router, and disabled the connection to my GSM provider, which is Orange) and I get a message that says I need a data plan or I don't have enough coverage...

well, why is google maps able to get the data through wifi for androids and for blackberry, it needs GSM connection??
    05-25-11 04:01 PM
    Guess we found the culprit. You don't have a BIS data plan do you?

The way BlackBerry devices work is different. Data has to go through RIM's (manufacturer ans service provider) datacenters (NOC). Most apps are coded with that in mind and do not work if you don't have a BIS plan. That's the case with Google Maps.

And as far as I know, the GPS will not work without BIS as well.

Now if you do have BIS, update immediately...
    05-25-11 04:05 PM
    alright,
    so...I don't have a BIS data plan... I don't even have a regular data plan included in my monthly subscription...but I can still access the net through the browser, or sync with google calendar, contacts, I can whatch youtube vids through the youtube app, I just pay more ...and I intend to upgrade the subscription also...

but I find it weird, if all the other apps work, even google maps works (as far as zooming and also changing layers, etc ) it just can't locate me with the accuracy of the GPS....
    05-25-11 04:14 PM
    And as far as I know, the GPS will not work without BIS as well.

Now if you do have BIS, update immediately...
    I thought the GPS would still work, but because you aren't on BIS, you can't get data to load any maps info on your phone. I vaguely remember trying something out on my 9000 because I was trying to see if I could get some form of mapping function going over seas.

One way to test could be to just remove your SIM card or just turning data off on your phone and try refreshing the satellite coordinates in your options to see if it locks, if so, then you can technically use the GPS but you need an app that wouldn't use any data which there aren't many. I think the app I was trying it out was 'find my car' or something (free version not the paid one) which didn't use data and just used your GPS coordinates to point you back to you car (or whatever you locked onto with your GPS).
    05-25-11 04:36 PM
    Try the self test.
    Options / Status then type TEST and follow the trail to the self test.
    In the self test app, Click the menu key and select Start
    Select the GPS checkbox then click Menu and select Run
    Click the trackpad and select Start Fixing

If you are outside in a clear area the GPS should get a fix within a few minutes. If it is still trying after 15 minutes suspect a failed GPS. After 30 minutes without a fix you are pretty sure your GPS is not working.
    05-25-11 07:35 PM
    okay,
    so..I want to thank you all for your advices...they are all very helpfull

and now for the updates....
    I've updated the os to v6.0.0.359 and I still have GMaps v.4.5.3
    but...there is a but...now when I try to start google maps it doesn't even load properly..i keep getting this message:" Network Unavailable: This application requiers a data connection adn some BlackBerry devices require reconfiguration to work properly. Please visit www.google...etc"

I guess that now I definately need a BIS data plan.. before..I couldn't use the GPS but I could at least see the maps...
    so..what do you guys think?? any other ideas? do you have any suggestions for a app that uses GPS and doesn't need a BIS data plan??

thanks

PS: i couldn't find the self test option..do I need a app for that?
    PS2: I've updated the os again..it's now up to .546 and google maps acts the same...i guess it requiers me to have a BIS data plan...
    Last edited by harvested; 05-27-11 at 03:38 PM.
    05-27-11 02:09 PM
    PS: i couldn't find the self test option..do I need a app for that?
    Select Options, then Status. In the Status screen, simply press keys TEST. Nothing will appear on screen until you complete that sequence - then the self test app appears.
    harvested likes this.
    05-29-11 08:09 AM
    yes....thank you

i tried the gps test for a couple of times...but the 3rd or 4th times..the gps finally locked...in about 106000 ms...and then i tried it several times and it locked from 4000 ms to about 70000 ms....
    so..i guess it works fine

thanks again
    05-29-11 02:59 PM
    What do you mean by self test what does it do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-11 11:04 PM
    I guess that now I definately need a BIS data plan
    Righty right

.. before..I couldn't use the GPS but I could at least see the maps...
    so..what do you guys think?? any other ideas? do you have any suggestions for a app that uses GPS and doesn't need a BIS data plan??
    "before" was only for a short time. Usually if you reboot your phone you can use Google Maps again - but only for something between a couple of hourse and two days before you Connection will drop again.
    05-30-11 01:00 AM
    What do you mean by self test what does it do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Follow the steps and see for yourself. It won't do any harm to your device, but you might waste a few minutes playing with the newly discovered functionality.
    05-30-11 05:25 AM
    yes....thank you

i tried the gps test for a couple of times...but the 3rd or 4th times..the gps finally locked...in about 106000 ms...and then i tried it several times and it locked from 4000 ms to about 70000 ms....
    so..i guess it works fine

thanks again
    Perfect, 4 - 7 seconds is a good response time. This performance should persist providing you allow the GPS to keep track of its position every day or so, and for long enough to download updated satellite data. If you reset your device (OS upgrade or wipe) or move it a long distance without GPS signals (a long flight or something) it will have to start again, and the first fix will be minutes, maybe even tens of minutes if it has to retrieve to full satellite almanac again.
    05-30-11 05:37 AM
    hey Branta,
    thanks for the input...
    so..again...I come with updates
    today..on my way to and from work, I kept trying to lock the phone to GPS satellites...with the self test app...
    I think I've tried over a dozen times..and with no luck...the app stops the GPS after 3 minutes of trying...and then you have to start the test again...
    lucky me...that last night I've downloaded from the crackberry app store a free app called GPS Tool...and guess what...after 8 minutes it locked to GPS satellites
    so...thanks again..and my advice...try the app...it's very good...it even has a Sky map that shows you the satellites..
    I think I need to start the GPS every day so that it locks fast every time..
    05-30-11 11:11 AM
    I have OS V6..526 and i couldn't find your self test option. can you help?
    Are you saying GPS will work without BIS? I have a normal data plan from Vodafone (VMC) it does allow me to access 3rd party regular apps. i really want to use the gPS feature. Please advice.
    09-30-11 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD