So do you guys trust the OS updates that come onto the desktop software to update your phone or do you wait till someone else has run with it ?

I am on OS 6.0 bundle 2647
    i have an update for OS 6.0 bundle 2949 waiting to go onto phone,

Should i go ahead or could it cause problems ?
    11-01-11 12:30 PM
    Typically good to go ahead with an available updates. Worst case you can always go back to an older OS if you have any issues.
    11-01-11 12:55 PM
    I trust the Desktop manager updates.

In terms of leaks and other OS builds that come later outside DM, I'm a bit more pensive

I'm usually happy with the OS's approved by my carrier or the stock ones, so until I read the reviews of the consensus regarding new OS's and weight if the pro's out number the cons then I'll go ahead with the update.

In your case it's approved via DM so I'd say go for it.
    11-01-11 01:03 PM
    Yeah, the ones that come to your DM are almost always the official from your carrier. I've never had an issue...
    11-01-11 02:53 PM
    I've tried most every OS version that has come out for my phone, and most Hybrids too. I've never found one I couldn't back out of if I didn't like how it ran. *ALWAYS backup first!
    11-01-11 02:57 PM
    I've tried most every OS version that has come out for my phone, and most Hybrids too. I've never found one I couldn't back out of if I didn't like how it ran. *ALWAYS backup first!
    Agreed, which adds a good point. When I was updating my 9930 a few weeks ago to the VZW official, my computer threw up a connection error, and I was left with a white screen Berry with no OS on it. All I had to do was simply reload the OS through AppLoader and I was back in action again.
    11-01-11 03:00 PM
    Yuppp...

Get spanked once without a good backup when things go flop and you'll always remember.
    11-01-11 03:04 PM
    Thanks for the replys,
    i have backups on my pc and now on my memory card too.
    if anything should go wrong how do i reload the os from the Apploader?
    maybe a daft question but we all have to learn somehow.

p.s i come from Palm os which i still love but the handset is getting old so bb was my next best option and so far its been great.
    11-01-11 03:27 PM
    Here you go...
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os
    Works almost exactly the same as loading using DM, just without any of the frills.

Glad you're liking your BB! We're always here if you need anything.
    11-01-11 03:47 PM
    One of the great things about a BlackBerry device is the ability to load the OS of choice. Whenever a leak or any new official comes out I try to make the jump as early as possible. Only a few times has there been any issue and reverting to a previous version ended the issue. Tweaking is a fun part of the devices.
    11-01-11 03:58 PM
    One thing to keep in mind is that even the best upgrade won't restore some key codes for 3rd party apps. Berry Weather, BeBuzz, etc... So make sure you keep those handy.
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    11-02-11 07:26 AM
    One thing to keep in mind is that even the best upgrade won't restore some key codes for 3rd party apps. Berry Weather, BeBuzz, etc... So make sure you keep those handy.
    if I had a dollar for every person who has added me to BBM to ask me how to recover their lost apps/ Keycodes after and update I would have me a second OS7 device to play with right now!

before your update get the keycodes for all your installed apps in a document file!
    11-02-11 07:38 AM
    if I had a dollar for every person who has added me to BBM to ask me how to recover their lost apps/ Keycodes after and update I would have me a second OS7 device to play with right now!

before your update get the keycodes for all your installed apps in a document file!
    +1
    A complete backup using Dm and a third party backup using a program such as BBSak helps too. Ive been keeping all my keycodes in a text file on my pc for years. Sometimes you just can't get those keycodes again without having to jump through hoops to find them, or dig through tons of old emails to find them.
    11-02-11 08:52 AM
    I have done the update and everthing is as it should be, obviously had to log into things agian and give permissions but no biggy there.
    I cannot see anything has changed so far but it is good to know that it is all good.
    Thanks for the advice.
    11-02-11 09:37 AM
    Desktop Manager updates are very trusty because they are very well-built OS's
    11-02-11 09:55 AM

How do you go about getting the keycodes for the apps?
    11-21-11 04:29 PM
    How do you go about getting the keycodes for the apps?
    anyone????
    11-22-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD