I'm nowhere near new to blackberry but OS updates have always confused me.
    Does your carrier send you ota OS updates?
    I ask because I almost always have unlocked blackberrys on carriers that don't sell my particular phone.
    How can I get the most current OS ota?
    Can I get an OS ota on an unlocked phone being used on a carrier that the phone wasn't purchased on?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-10 04:29 PM
    I'm not familiar with your carrier, but most carriers will push out the official OS via OTA. Then from there all you do is just upgrade. If not you can just download the OS on your computer and manually upgrade which is the best way IMO.
    04-03-10 06:01 PM
    Is updating manually via os like the ones posted here in the blogs pretty easy? I read the tutorial and it seems simple enough but is there a risk of seriously damaging my device?

04-03-10 06:14 PM
    An OS update is a simple process of you follow the steps correctly. Make sure you back up device data prior to the upgrade, to be on the safe side if something goes wrong.

You can load an OS released by any carrier. Just remember to delete the vendor.xml file before loading the OS on your device. I prefer loading the os manually via a pc than ota. Because your device can be nuked, if something bad happens when upgrading ota... But its just me...

04-03-10 06:24 PM
    Awesome, thanks again!

04-03-10 06:41 PM
    Why is it important to delete the vendor.xml file? I've never deleted it when I've upgraded. Am I missing something by not deleting it?
    04-03-10 09:51 PM
    Why is it important to delete the vendor.xml file? I've never deleted it when I've upgraded. Am I missing something by not deleting it?
    the vendor file is an encoded file attached to the OS. the vendor file on an official OS will match the vendor ID in the phones branding. they are supposed to match, showing that OS belongs on that branded phone. for beta OS's, you technically dont need to delete the file since its not a carrier branded OS. if you tried to load a t-mobile OS on an at&t phone without deleting the vendor file, DM will not recognize the OS as a valid update and will not load it. if you delete it, that stop instruction is invalid, therefore the OS will load as planned.

all in all, if you dont delete it, the loader or DM may not recognize the OS to load. its always good to just go ahead and delete it.
    04-03-10 10:20 PM
    Thanks for the quick answer.
    04-03-10 10:28 PM
    Is updating manually via os like the ones posted here in the blogs pretty easy? I read the tutorial and it seems simple enough but is there a risk of seriously damaging my device?

It's very easy, and the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Check the link in my sig (Proper Upload/etc) for an older (but still effective) method for backing up, updating, and restoring. Some steps are now redundant, and not needed, but your first time through it certainly won't hurt to follow the steps *exactly*.

Steps I've dropped:
    1. Wipe. I don't perform a pre-upgrade wipe. The reality is that the upgrade process itself takes care of a low-level wipe for you, meaning that theoretically any pre-wipe wipe is redundant and thus a waste of time. That said, I do still wipe manually every 6-10 updates or so (old habits die hard.)
    2. 3rd Party App Backup process. As described in the tutorial in my sig, the process is cumbersome and time consuming, but easy to perform. Now, though, Loader itself backs up (on your prompt) all 3rd party apps. As for the app *data*, see step 1 regarding performing a full data backup in DM before you do anything else.

Steps I've added (feel free to use what you want to use and leave what you don't):
    1. Before I backup I turn all connections off (mobile, wifi and bt). I do this usually when I'm downloading the OS I'll be installing. I'm a bonehead at times and shutting down all connections ensures that when I backup and later restore I won't have any message or data gap. I save all backups to the desktop for ease of access.
    2. After my DM backup, in control panel I delete all instances of BlackBerry Device Software. Exercise caution: "device" and "desktop" software look very similar in add/remove programs. Desktop needs to be stay. Device needs to be removed.
    3. After removing old device software in CP I browse to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/loader, and delete any folders remaining (typically the last OS you installed on your PC.) Overkill, I know, but it makes me feel good.
    4. Shrink-an-OS (SAOS) is a must imho. Search the forums for a d/l link. After backup and OS install (to PC) are complete, I hook up my BB via USB, launch SAOS, and point to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/loader/[new-os-folder]/java. Then simply check the items you do not want installed, click "Shrink my OS", and watch the majesty. Once complete I just click "Run Loader" and we're off to the races. I always uncheck MeterBerry, since it doesn't play well with upgrades. Unchecking it will not reinstall it to your device (see below.)
    5. I hate dead time, so during the OS d/l and install I open the following tabs in my broswer: a) crackberry (and login to the app store for quick access to activation codes for 3rd party apps); b) VZW's BIS page (or whatever carrier you use)... for me it works well to go ahead and delete then readd my gmail account during the install process, ensuring the "sync contacts" box is checked. If you don't sync contact with Google contacts you can skip this one, but I get a cleaner, faster upgrade performing this step (once you're back up and running you just need to run setup/email setup/login, and you'll immediately be prompted to allow/deny contact sync for gmail; c) my BES admin site (if applicable to you). Again, instead of twiddling my thumbs I go ahead and reset my BES activation PW during the install so that once I'm up and running I don't have to go back and worry about it. If you're strictly using BIS you can of course skip this step.
    6. After the OS install's complete close loader and launch DM again. I use a very selective restore process (as I've been advised to do by many on here who are true experts.) Corrupt databases can turn a quick and easy upgrade into disaster. To perform a selective restore click "backup/restore" in DM. Select "advanced." Top left you'll have a drop down; select "open", and then browse to the backup you performed at step 1 and saved to your desktop. The left panel will populate with all your backed up DBs, the right panel shows the DBs on your device. Highlight the specific DB you want to restore from the backup (left), hit the right-pointing arrow, and accept. The selected DB will be loaded to your device. I restore just the following: a) calendar-all; b) alarm settings; c) BT settings; d) messages; e) SMS messages; f) WLAN profiles. Since I sync contact with GOOG I don't restore those. If you sync events with GOOG, etc, don't restore that DB. That's all. No need to restore options, SBs, etc. Back out to the main menu in DM, then exit DM.
    7. At this point I turn my mobile and wifi connections back on. I dial *22890 for activation (overkill, old habits), followed by *22899 to grab any PRL updates. I set all my options the way I want them, activate my theme and rearrange icons as needed (and with each app i bring out of the downloads folder and to the apps screen I activate it using the handy App Store tab that we opened up in Step 5 above.) Makes for a quick and easy process. Once that's done I do a physical 30 second battery pull. After the device is fully rebooted I pop back to the App Store tab, locate MeterBerry in my list of apps, and send the OTA link to my email of choice by clicking the green down arrow to the right side of the app info. Install and activate MB, followed by another 30 second pull. That's it; upgrade complete.
    04-04-10 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD