Windows seems to be that big old Cadillac with everything in it, except practicality

I'm no expert or an analyst, but I look at my own use as a consumer and I have completely dropped the laptop, from using it daily to now only at tax time. I have a tablet and a smartphone and they give me all I can handle, as far as tech time goes. It's funny in that the phone/tablet has limited my access to certain things that I use to use on my laptop and now don't seem to want or need any longer. Its like I went from a luxury car with all the bells and whistles, to a mini cooper with just enough the satisfy me. I don't speak for everyone and I am getting on in age so that may explain it.
    I agree that only having to carry a single device is the way that things are heading. That's why a comprehensive and useful ecosystem is important.

I finally upgraded my printer and with the built in and third party apps, it is a breeze to print from my phone, from anywhere.

I hardly need to use my laptop anymore.
    Drew808 likes this.
    09-15-12 01:06 PM
    Windows 8.

I think MS has the full stack: desktop, mobile, enterprise backend and services. They have a content delivery platform with their XBox Live platform and have a stable of cloud services. They're also thinking about unified communication and presence (skype) and have a strong brand, especially in the enterprise space (a space that RIM is retreating to). And, finally, they have money.

The only way for RIM to survive is to carve out a new market niche and I don't see them doing that.
    Drew808 likes this.
    09-15-12 01:27 PM
    Please stop with the wp argument. First it was wp 7 that was a game changer, now it's wp8. What is the compelling reasons to buy this phone? other then MS throwing everything at it and expecting it to stick. I think ms is in a bigger predicament then rim is. Rim is reverse engineering their customer, in that they are bringing people from the smart phone to the tablet and eventually the mobile computing platform. MS is faced with doing it the other way from the computer os to the phone. This may prove to be more difficult to sell.
    the problem with BB10 is that it doesn't have a proper ecosystem yet. only MS and apple has one. Android's one is not complete yet. and BB's has not started. also Wp8 offers much more than BB10(What we saw this year). Also the haven't even seen all the features. I think Wp8 will be a very good product especially for those people with an xbox or an Windows 8 device and those first time smartphone buyers and those people not fully in a ecosystem
    09-15-12 02:16 PM
    I am not going to lie, the Nokia lumia 920 is a pretty sweet phone. They completely redesigned everything. The camera is great, it has free music, free maps, and looks very nice as well. AND Wireless charging, NFC. NOT good news for BB, or for me, who has stocks in RIM. The only unknown is WP8, which *should* be solid if not exciting. BUT if the phone itself is anything to go by, 920 is seriously nice, and should help WP8.
    09-15-12 02:58 PM
    With all the manufacturers joining in on wp8 its hard for me to legitimately say BB10. That said I am sticking with BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    09-15-12 03:02 PM
    With all the manufacturers joining in on wp8 its hard for me to legitimately say BB10. That said I am sticking with BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Yea. Good point. almost every OEM in the world is gonna go Wp8 at some point. See Every OEM needs a second OS
    09-15-12 03:17 PM
    the problem with BB10 is that it doesn't have a proper ecosystem yet. only MS and apple has one. Android's one is not complete yet. and BB's has not started. also Wp8 offers much more than BB10(What we saw this year). Also the haven't even seen all the features. I think Wp8 will be a very good product especially for those people with an xbox or an Windows 8 device and those first time smartphone buyers and those people not fully in a ecosystem
    Nothing ms has done in the past has wowed me, their products are OK, with the obvious exceptions of course. Anyway, it just seems that wp8 is being media driven and not consumer driven to be successful.

The only thing I like about ms is Bill and Melindas' philanthropy, a modern day Robin Hood, take from the western rich and give to the poor, at least that's my idea of it.
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    09-15-12 03:30 PM
    I understand the comment that WP8 is polarizing that folks like it or they don't but I think you can say that for W8 as well. More and more as W8 computers are sold and folks get used to the tiles and that desktop, the phone will appear to be just another extension as the tablet will be as well. The 3 will support each other in this regards, at least that is what MS is hoping here - its an even bigger change of it's eco-system than RIM is attempting. Windows is still the most used OS on the desktop - if consumers warm to W8 I think the tabs and the phones will by extension benefit. If W8 is the next Vista - all bets are off.
    People are forced to have windows on their pc and most HATE windows. Vista was amazing...no no windows 7 will change everything.. no no windows 8. In the end people hate windows and having been forced and suffered with wondows all these years are now free of the microsoft bully and will choose ANYTHING over windows. What you think is a positive for microsoft is in reality a negative. this is why WP7 was a total flop. But like i said the market is so huge that even a tiny % of it will make money.
    abwan11 likes this.
    09-15-12 03:42 PM
    I understand the comment that WP8 is polarizing that folks like it or they don't but I think you can say that for W8 as well. More and more as W8 computers are sold and folks get used to the tiles and that desktop, the phone will appear to be just another extension as the tablet will be as well. The 3 will support each other in this regards, at least that is what MS is hoping here - its an even bigger change of it's eco-system than RIM is attempting. Windows is still the most used OS on the desktop - if consumers warm to W8 I think the tabs and the phones will by extension benefit. If W8 is the next Vista - all bets are off.
    But will they be unified? As I understand it, those who prefer the older style XP/Vista/Win7 desktop can run Win8 that way. And I suspect it's going to take a huge sales job to convince users that clunky 2 dimensional boxes are more aesthetically pleasing or going to help them be more productive than the older style UI.
    09-15-12 03:46 PM
    People are forced to have windows on their pc and most HATE windows. Vista was amazing...no no windows 7 will change everything.. no no windows 8. In the end people hate windows and having been forced and suffered with wondows all these years are now free of the microsoft bully and will choose ANYTHING over windows. What you think is a positive for microsoft is in reality a negative. this is why WP7 was a total flop. But like i said the market is so huge that even a tiny % of it will make money.
    can you think BB10 will be better than Wp8 mate? Wp8 basically almost has everything BB has in enterprise.
    09-15-12 04:14 PM
    I am on the fence

it will either be BB10 or iOS

2 scenarios happen

Windows 8 takes off and kills BB10 for the 3rd ecosystem, but because Windows 8 will be the same on PC's Tablets, and Phones, and I suspect they'll find a way to bring it to cars as well Windows 8 will take 2-3 years to be very heavily competing with Android, and with the various vendors like Android Windows will propagate faster.
    at which point I suspect Windows 8 will replace iOS as the #2 OS.

OR Windows 8 fails to gain the market share in the smartphone segment, and remains PC's and tablets only BB10 will take the #3 spot for Phones and will fight to gain market in other avenues not yet owned by Android or iOS.
    IF it can stop the bleeding of users leaving first. Though Wp is small but it's growing. The reason why wp7 never took of is because carriers never advertised it or the reps never told people about it. Wp8 is changing that. Almost every carrier in the US is getting a Wp8 phone. AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon, US cellular and MetroPCs and even Sprint is gonna get one next year. AT&T, Verizon and t-mobile are gonna advertise the of Wp8. and you know it. They picked Wp8 instead of BB10 to be it's 3 option
    Last edited by 12Dandaman; 09-15-12 at 04:19 PM.
    09-15-12 04:16 PM
    Realistically, I see it being Win8 as it's looks like it will be a much nicer fit in the average consumer's daily life. I see BB10 as more of a "made for Enterprise, accessible to consumers" type of thing.
    danimalchil likes this.
    09-15-12 04:16 PM
    Windows because it has a better ecosystem than BlackBerry. And it also has other compatible devices such as a desktop software and XBox 360. Things that most people use as well. BlackBerry has a nice OS, but the ecosystem is weak.. All the BIG services aren't connected to BlackBerry. So they can make something similar, but the majority of people use the popular one. I just think BB10 will be a great device with great hardware, but won't have the services and apps to go along with it. Like having a nice car without being able to drive it fast. The only way I think RIM will survive, is if they license out to a BIGGER company. Apple, Android and Windows all have more than just a device. They have a great ecosystem to go along with it. They are collaborated with popular companies. The reason why a lot of people don't use BlackBerry is because it is not compatible with what most people use.. And that won't change unless they collaborate and expand...
    Drew808 likes this.
    09-15-12 04:47 PM
    Windows because it has a better ecosystem than BlackBerry. And it also has other compatible devices such as a desktop software and XBox 360. Things that most people use as well. BlackBerry has a nice OS, but the ecosystem is weak.. All the BIG services aren't connected to BlackBerry. So they can make something similar, but the majority of people use the popular one. I just think BB10 will be a great device with great hardware, but won't have the services and apps to go along with it. Like having a nice car without being able to drive it fast. The only way I think RIM will survive, is if they license out to a BIGGER company. Apple, Android and Windows all have more than just a device. They have a great ecosystem to go along with it. They are collaborated with popular companies. The reason why a lot of people don't use BlackBerry is because it is not compatible with what most people use.. And that won't change unless they collaborate and expand...
    Yea. I do agree. RIM needs a big OEM to manufacture their BB10 Devices
    09-15-12 05:07 PM
    I disagree Mrfreetruth - some folks are MS fans I recently switched back from a Mac to a PC and don't regret it for a minute. Win 2K and XP was a step in the right direction but they took a big step backwards with Vista. Fortunately Win7 is a home run in my opinion. Windows computers work well with everything, Android and BB phones just do better with Windows. Frankly speaking as much as i like Win7 I am not a fan of Win8 from the 2 week trial I played with it - and I don't think business will upgrade to Win8 either but they are converting to Win7 in record numbers.

@kraski as I understand it you will have to get a program to do away with the Metro desktop, and my point is as folks work with Surface more they will increasingly become acquainted with the tiles. I also think there are coming devices that will make the interface more user friendly, and you will see laptops supporting touch.
    09-15-12 06:12 PM
    Android will be #3 followed by apple. in 5 years
    09-15-12 06:54 PM
    Microsoft CEO already stated that wp8 is a bridge to wp9. that dont sound good for wp8 users.
    09-15-12 06:58 PM
    Microsoft CEO already stated that wp8 is a bridge to wp9. that dont sound good for wp8 users.
    umm. No he didn't. Where the **** did you come up with that?
    Last edited by 12Dandaman; 09-15-12 at 07:24 PM.
    09-15-12 07:11 PM
    Quote or you're full of it.

Also, MS promised a minimum of 18 months of upgrade support for all WP8 phones. So if WP 9 comes out within 1.5 years, the older handsets will likely be compatible. That's about as good as Apple's support for older devices, and much better than RIM's support.
    09-15-12 07:56 PM
    Quote or you're full of it.

Also, MS promised a minimum of 18 months of upgrade support for all WP8 phones. So if WP 9 comes out within 1.5 years, the older handsets will likely be compatible. That's about as good as Apple's support for older devices, and much better than RIM's support.
    Naturally I'm full of something I did go back for the quote but its lost to me. I read it on Linkedin.com home page and I believe they were posting an article from WSJ or Forbes. Sorry. There only words but they were quoted. This was over a month ago. Take it for what you will.
    I'm going to purge.
    SuperionMaximus likes this.
    09-15-12 08:13 PM
    I'm posting from my older laptop that I installed win8 release preview on last night. So far I like win8 but it takes getting use to doing some things differently and I do not care for the metro start page in win8 on my laptop but thankfully one click and I'm on the desktop.

I don't care for the metro apps as of right now they are very basic with little for options. So for me on wp8 and tablets maybe the metro UI will be better I don't know as I haven't tried wp7 but I don't like it or the apps on my laptop so having the same UI on all doesn't matter to me.

I want my windows desktop and as long as the phone or tablet work well with windows it doesn't matter to me if it's all the same.
    09-15-12 08:44 PM
    I'm posting from my older laptop that I installed win8 release preview on last night. So far I like win8 but it takes getting use to doing some things differently and I do not care for the metro start page in win8 on my laptop but thankfully one click and I'm on the desktop.

I don't care for the metro apps as of right now they are very basic with little for options. So for me on wp8 and tablets maybe the metro UI will be better I don't know as I haven't tried wp7 but I don't like it or the apps on my laptop so having the same UI on all doesn't matter to me.

I want my windows desktop and as long as the phone or tablet work well with windows it doesn't matter to me if it's all the same.
    My friend kbz nailed it!! with out stating it.
    Its half baked if people are able to opt out and go back to the old faithful.
    It might be just fine and all but you know what the masses are going to say. What the Fudge is MS doing this is fugly! Left with that type of confusion I don't believe people will flock to wp8. maybe on a PC because they have little choice.
    There is yet to be a case made as to why a mobile and your PC have to be the same thing!
    09-15-12 09:04 PM
    My friend kbz nailed it!! with out stating it.
    Its half baked if people are able to opt out and go back to the old faithful.
    It might be just fine and all but you know what the masses are going to say. What the Fudge is MS doing this is fugly! Left with that type of confusion I don't believe people will flock to wp8. maybe on a PC because they have little choice.
    There is yet to be a case made as to why a mobile and your PC have to be the same thing!
    The situation is extremely similar to the transition from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. Everyone cried about how fugly mingling DOS and Windows would be. It wasn't seamless, but it worked pretty damn well. And within a few iterations, DOS was completely out of the spotlight. I wouldn't be surprised if the exact same thing happens with Win8. MS has billions of dollars. If anyone can make a radical change like this work, they can.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    09-15-12 09:10 PM
    Yes, but now there is potential for other OS's to grab MS coveted market share. If one of the other platforms is powerful enough to run MS Office and other stuff , all the other stuff at the same time. Yet MS is just selling the Usual. The door opens for some real change.
    If the door is open just a crack due to a transition at MS, someone is going to walk through. Now more than ever. Now or never! Enter BB10!
    09-15-12 09:19 PM
    The situation is extremely similar to the transition from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. Everyone cried about how fugly mingling DOS and Windows would be. It wasn't seamless, but it worked pretty damn well. And within a few iterations, DOS was completely out of the spotlight. I wouldn't be surprised if the exact same thing happens with Win8. MS has billions of dollars. If anyone can make a radical change like this work, they can.
    I'm not saying it isn't going to do well but just now I have my email on the metro side and when I clicked on the link to come to this thread and make a reply it opens the metro browser which I'm not signed into crackberry on, I am on the desktop browser, so I had to copy the url from the metro browser and paste it in the desktop browser or I had to sign in on the metro browser.

There is a disconnect from the desktop and metro at least to me. My mail in metro doesn't give me notifications when I'm in the desktop, I think it should. The metro browser has less features than the playbook browser.

Granted it isn't the release version coming up but right now for me I can ignore the metro part of it on my laptop.
    09-15-12 09:22 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD