Can someone provide a changelog for the OSs...

you know, the changes and the descriptions in each update. Im getting a sprint blackberry curve soon.... I want to know what changed. I know the highest is 4.5 currently, what is expected in 5.0?
    12-24-09 04:52 PM
    No changelogs for OS... Its best to get peoples reviews
    12-24-09 05:05 PM
    Depending on what Curve you're getting, 5.0 might not even be available for you. Check out this blog post by Kevin for details:
    http://crackberry.com/official-list-...-os-5-0-update
    12-24-09 05:17 PM
    No changelogs? Really?

Can I get a brief summary by someone then?

And im getting the 8330, thx
    12-24-09 05:37 PM
    Research in Motion appears to treat it as company confidential.

We can describe the gross changes like the addition of Video and Voice Notes to v4.3xx and streaming video in v4.5xx, but nobody knows what else has changed under the hood.
    12-25-09 10:51 AM
    No changelogs for OS... Its best to get peoples reviews
    This has always amazed me. How can RIM issue new OSs and not publish change logs? The concept is ridiculous.

I agree that people's reviews are about the best you are going to do but that is a highly unreliable and very dubious source to make critical decisions on whether to upgrade or not. I've been following the 8900 OS updates for months and the trend is for members to take all the time to download the newest OS and return claiming over and over that the latest OS is "snappier" than the last. I've even started cringing when I even read that word. Updating your device with any new OS is going to wipe out a certain amount of clutter and make it "snappier." Usually members here are unable to give precise reports on what specifically makes one OS better than the last. You just read that the latest is "snappier" over and over which is hardly objective criteria to base making an OS change.
    12-25-09 11:00 AM
    Research in Motion appears to treat it as company confidential.

We can describe the gross changes like the addition of Video and Voice Notes to v4.3xx and streaming video in v4.5xx, but nobody knows what else has changed under the hood.
    Changelogs are provided to the carriers or anyone else that downloads the OS packages from the Partner's Portal. The changelog gets stripped out and vendor.xml file changed once the OS goes official from a carrier.

Heck, if you were one of the "cool" people with a Storm, you might have even read the super long logs from a few of the 4.7 leaks that came out.
    12-25-09 11:18 AM
    Heck, if you were one of the "cool" people with a Storm, you might have even read the super long logs from a few of the 4.7 leaks that came out.
    Ahh, always something new to learn. Thanks 'Civic, you have contributed above your pay grade this year. Merry Christmas to you all.

Consumer Reports magazine surveyed 54,332 readers about their wireless services for a feature in its January issue. Michael Gikas, the senior editor for electronics, said that BlackBerry service is the front-runner for wireless-data services regardless of the carrier providing the service.

That, he said, leaves dissatisfied BlackBerry users with an unappealing choice: “Is it worse to have an occasional complete outage or just generally poor service all the time?”

Twice in the same week, what are the odds of that happening again?

Srinivasan Keshav, a professor of computer science the University of Waterloo, which is in R.I.M.’s hometown, said that the immense complexity of R.I.M.’s network and services made it impossible to ensure reliable and error-free upgrades to the BlackBerry system.

“The upgrades are very much like trying to change the wheels on a car while it’s going down the highway at 60 miles an hour,” Professor Keshav said.

12-25-09 12:21 PM

Twice in the same week, what are the odds of that happening again?
    Pretty good if someone wanted to make it happen I suppose. And longer if things were to get hosed like what happened to Danger/Microsoft with the Sidekicks.

The one thing that the media and forum buzz has shown, is that putting all your eggs on one basket, is not always the best thing to do.

As for changelogs, I don't see why changes to problems that do not pertain to "securty issues", would be a problem. Native app updates or changes, fixes to glitches, adding of things to the OS. But RIM has it's reasons I suppose.
    12-25-09 12:48 PM

�Is it worse to have an occasional complete outage or just generally poor service all the time?�
    I'll take the first option.

"the immense complexity of R.I.M.�s network and services made it impossible to ensure reliable and error-free upgrades to the BlackBerry system. ... The upgrades are very much like trying to change the wheels on a car while it�s going down the highway at 60 miles an hour�
    Most BB users probably have no understanding of this.

Good post.
    12-25-09 01:14 PM
    I just reloaded OS 4.1 on my 7100t and noticed that they had a pdf changelog file for the ATT site.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-09 02:47 PM
    Too bad they stopped doing a lot of things, also posting real specs. Knowing how much flash memory I have is nice, but its the ram that makes a device work faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-09 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD