Its February now! I figure RIM will let us wait till Feb 29 to release 2.0 for the PB, since they seem to be experts at making us wait. But 7.1 was 'official' rolled out at CES if I'm not mistaken. I understand that it has to be rolled out to the carriers and then its up to them to roll it to the users, but what's taking so long?? As far as I know, there aren't any Canadian carriers that have officially rolled it out yet. I'm not so interested in installing one of the beta or leaked versions, but I'd sure like to be anle to take advantage of an OS that is just sitting waiting to be used.
    Jeff
    02-05-12 11:28 AM
    You would need to call your carrier and find out why they have not rolled it.
    In my case, with AT&T, the hotspot on the 7.1 would require me to add the wifi hotspot feature for more money, so I'm not interested in that.
    The 7.0 I am on now works for me and didn't cost me more in data plans.
    02-05-12 12:23 PM
    This isn't RIM's fault for once. As soon as it has signed off on an OS update for BB phones, the carriers then test it themselves to make sure it is fit for their end users. Depending on the carriers' prioritisation this can take from a few weeks to a couple of months, hence the delay.
    Thankfully we've been told this won't be a problem with BB10 as the bit of the os relating to the phone signal (the radio stacks) can be separated from the rest of the OS, so only when this is changed will the carriers need to check it. Meaning quick delivery of an update once it is complete.
    02-05-12 12:23 PM
    So from what I am getting, all updates are now carrier specific? In order for me to get OS 7.1 I will have to wait for Rogers Wireless to come out with the update?
    Why doesnt RIM just come out with these themselves? It just seems foolish to me having all these different carriers coming out with different OS updates with such little differences.
    02-05-12 12:37 PM
    All updates from RIM are carrier specific. No, they shouldn't be responsible for pumping out updates directly to the phones, how will you know if it will work with your carrier? Then users would be griping that the update borked their device. No, the system works well the way it is.

Leaked OS usually hits as it's being xfer'd to a carrier, so it basically the same. It's not foolish, well maybe to the ones that are waiting for an update. To others, they either install a leaked version, or keep asking the forums when the official update is supposed to be released. Ask Rogers.
    jafobabe likes this.
    02-05-12 12:46 PM
    So from what I am getting, all updates are now carrier specific? In order for me to get OS 7.1 I will have to wait for Rogers Wireless to come out with the update?
    Why doesnt RIM just come out with these themselves? It just seems foolish to me having all these different carriers coming out with different OS updates with such little differences.
    Just download and install it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-beta-os-f95/
    02-05-12 12:49 PM
    im on rogers and i loaded up 7.1 on my torch the minute it leaked out my frieds did the same. if you are waiting for the carrier to release it you will always be behind the 8 ball. my suggestion pull on some big boy pants and install the leak.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-05-12 02:47 PM
    i dont think ive seen the word roll used more times in a paragraph than that.
    02-05-12 02:56 PM
    Oh you guys are funny. So I like to 'roll'!
    Maybe I'll put on some big boy pants and take a shot at it. If it wrecks my phone, I'll blame all you crazy people.
    J
    02-05-12 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD