I agree with the OP if RIM fails this time apple and android will be the winners for sure. Blackberrys are not just a business device anymore, more and more people use blackberrys everyday. This release will be do or die for rim IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is so funny. Did you know that of the 41 million people that have a BlackBerry, only 20% are on version 5.x? 80% of all users are running some version of 4.x. Accept for the CrackBerry community and RIM employees, nobody cares (or even knows) about 6.0. If it never came out, or was an utter failure and everyone who tried it traded in their bb for an iphone/droid, RIM wouldn't even notice the difference in revenue. These multiple, daily threads of people demanding that 6.0 be this, or 6.0 be that, or they'll go get a droid are cracking me up.

I'm hoping that it comes out soon and that it surpasses our expectations, but if you're hanging your hopes and dreams on 6.0, implying that you're quite dissatisfied with your current phone/OS, go get a different phone. You might love the change, and if you don't, RIM will still be here for you to come back.
    06-29-10 06:11 PM
    This is so funny. Did you know that of the 41 million people that have a BlackBerry, only 20% are on version 5.x? 80% of all users are running some version of 4.x. Accept for the CrackBerry community and RIM employees, nobody cares (or even knows) about 6.0. If it never came out, or was an utter failure and everyone who tried it traded in their bb for an iphone/droid, RIM wouldn't even notice the difference in revenue. These multiple, daily threads of people demanding that 6.0 be this, or 6.0 be that, or they'll go get a droid are cracking me up.

I'm hoping that it comes out soon and that it surpasses our expectations, but if you're hanging your hopes and dreams on 6.0, implying that you're quite dissatisfied with your current phone/OS, go get a different phone. You might love the change, and if you don't, RIM will still be here for you to come back.
    LOL @ that one.
    06-29-10 06:13 PM
    rim does have the market share, true... for now... however, of those 80% that are on v4.x, there are a lot that have company phones, and then there are those that have older devices that don't support 5.x.
    when rim advertised v6.x (even though it was a horrible video), it set a bar that it must now pass. if it does (and i think it will surpass it), it will have a lot of happy customers, be it the 20% on v5, or from the other 80%, but if it doesn't, it will just add to the list of disappointments. there will always be fanboys, who will argue for a brand no matter what, but the reality is that if rim wouldn't care about these '20%', or what this 'small insignificant number of complainers' will do, they probably wouldn't of even started work on v6.x...

all that aside... in a lot of respects, rim is playing catch-up.
    market share can be won, and it can be lost
    06-29-10 06:35 PM
    One funny aspect of the angry posts is the fact 90% have a storm 1...the angriest consumer group I have ever witnessed. It is intense how bitter this group is. But they aren't bitter to the extent they are going to a different phone, they want to extract sorrow from the manufacturer in the process.
    06-29-10 07:18 PM
    I am trying to be loyal to RIM, having really enjoyed the Pearl and then upgrading to the Tour. And the posts above about all OS having issues (Apple, Droids, etc.) are well taken. However I too have been frustrated by the BB OS. I have really looked into it, and most folks don't utilize the BB to the fullest, thus don't realize the flaws. Hence many times tech support knows nothing of the flaws. I find alerts real important, so my Tour with OS 4.7 sucked, unable to really customize them. Now with OS 5, it seems perfect, except PIN messages don't vibrate in holster. When I ask others with a TOUR, they either don't use PIN, or don't use the holster. Hence my complaint seems trivial to most.

I for one will be very disappointed with RIM if OS 6 continues to have these alerts issues.
    06-29-10 07:53 PM
    One funny aspect of the angry posts is the fact 90% have a storm 1...the angriest consumer group I have ever witnessed. It is intense how bitter this group is. But they aren't bitter to the extent they are going to a different phone, they want to extract sorrow from the manufacturer in the process.
    If you had a 9530 from launch I'd guarantee you'd be more than bitter. Numerous empty promises that have yet to be fulfilled, that would be here with the mythical Gold Code, or the "vast improvements" that were supposed to come with 5.0

Now here we are, 6.0 and were hearing the same promises we heard last year. Extreme skepticism is to be expected.
    06-29-10 08:31 PM
    Yeah, devildrifterx...the crimes you storm 1 owners have suffered. Y'all are drama queens and full of false indignation. It has been almost 2 freaking years! Seriously...what level of entitlement do you wallow in? Move on...your phone...PHONE...wasn't awesome. Your PHONE! Your momma needs to spank you boy.
    06-29-10 08:43 PM
    Yeah, devildrifterx...the crimes you storm 1 owners have suffered. Y'all are drama queens and full of false indignation. It has been almost 2 freaking years! Seriously...what level of entitlement do you wallow in? Move on...your phone...PHONE...wasn't awesome. Your PHONE! Your momma needs to spank you boy.
    Entitlement to what? Something that doesn't suck, yeah i would say users are entitled to such a thing.

You should be thanking Storm owners, if it werent for us being VERY vocal RIM really would be dragging their asses even worse than they already are, still trying to patch up their horrid excuse for a browser, with no Open GL still and barebone apps.
    06-29-10 09:10 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD