In terms of what? What exactly does an android phone do (as far as everyday usefulness) that a BB can't? Oh, I know, its battery dies after a few hours of use. Yeah, that's light years ahead.
    You forgot to mention that notifications suck on them as well. I mean if all you want is a phone call or text you are fine though.

I've touched an android device. I've used several. Dating back to the G1, the Mytouch 3G, the Hero, and the Droid. Your wrong on the memory leaks and updates that fix things. They have memory leaks and sometimes the updates make things worse just like every other device on the planet. I agree with you on the folders in the email and while the browser should get better with OS6, in my opinion it isn't as bad as it's made out to be currently. Anyway, I guess my point is that the statements made in these arguments are always extreme. Every OS has it's little bugs and issues and you just need to find the one you like the best. I think you should get an android phone because it sure sounds like that is what you want. There, problem solved.
    Exactly. All platforms have their strengths and their weaknesses. As far as I am concerned the bb is great for what I find more important. If I want true internet then I will grab my laptop or go to a desktop. If I just need something quick then my bb works fine for the internet. Not great but it works. It does what I need it to better than other platforms and that is why I have it.

And yes I have had android devices.
    06-28-10 02:59 PM
    Stop bashing the OP and accept that his claims are legitimate.
    06-28-10 04:03 PM
    Android does have weaknesses but they are nowhere near the problems a BB has, and I'm sure Google will address these issues within the next 2 years, unlike RIM.

I have not changed phones yet because I'm still under contract, and you would assume when buying any phone, especially with upgrades promised to the 9530, they would improve the software as time went on...honestly, you could pick up a Bold 9650 today and the experience wouldn't be that much better than a Storm1, which was released over 18 months ago.
    06-28-10 04:03 PM
    Android does have weaknesses but they are nowhere near the problems a BB has, and I'm sure Google will address these issues within the next 2 years, unlike RIM.

I have not changed phones yet because I'm still under contract, and you would assume when buying any phone, especially with upgrades promised to the 9530, they would improve the software as time went on...honestly, you could pick up a Bold 9650 today and the experience wouldn't be that much better than a Storm1, which was released over 18 months ago.
    Depends on what you want your phone to do. The weaknesses with android is way worse than my bb. But that is for me. Your experience and how you use your phone and want it to work are different than mine.

The Bold 9650 is WAY better than the Storm 1. I have had both.
    06-28-10 04:39 PM
    I recently upgraded from my Curve to the new Bold 9650. I went from OS 4.5 to OS 5.0. The OS on my new Bold is so much faster and stable than my previous BlackBerry. So I would have to say that RIM is making progress on their operating systems. I was so concerned with memory leaks on my previous BlackBerry because I was always approaching 12 MB. I never wanted to get under that because it would be a good chance I would start to loose contact info, etc in order for the OS to run. With the amount of memory on my new device, I never look to see how much memory I've lost throughout the day. A few MB lost here and there doesn't matter with this device.
    I don't think RIM will steer to far from their OS build. When people upgrade, they like familiarity. If you look at the new iPhone for instance. They've added new features, yet a lot of features that people have gotten accustomed to are still the same. You don't see pinch to zoom 7 home screens, clock and weather widgets on the new iPhone. They've added folders and a multitasking bar at the bottom.
    Every phone has features of its own. Most people that use BlackBerry devices are never on forums like this. We represent only a small percentage.
    Most users like to upgrade their phone, notice the subtle improvements, and go on about their day. Many of them don't have time to learn a completely new OS.
    06-28-10 06:06 PM
    Its the truth rim is 10 years behind android and i have owned bb's for years. I had a g1 my touch, and now will own a hero or evo very soon. Rim needs to get their heads out of their asses
    06-28-10 06:33 PM
    Its the truth rim is 10 years behind android and i have owned bb's for years. I had a g1 my touch, and now will own a hero or evo very soon. Rim needs to get their heads out of their asses
    Such insight! What would we do without ya little buddy?
    06-28-10 06:35 PM
    I am running the latest OS 5 (.681) on my Bold 9000 on AT&T and I don't have any problems.

I think that people on here don't realize one key thing. 90% of Blackberry owners don't care about a new OS or the latest thing out there. I am one of those people who like to tinker with things and try out something new. Most are content if it works every day like they want it to.

I am an engineer and less than 10% of the engineers that I work with don't even know about the simplest things like what apps are available. Most all project managers and up have a Blackberry (probably almost 100 in our one office). I have become the unofficial Blackberry tech support person.

I was on a site visit the other day with a co-worker. I was using Google Maps to see where we were and he marveled at what I was doing. He has a Curve 8310. I grabbed his Curve and loaded it on his. He was amazed that his Curve could do that.

In short, most of us on this board are the minority, not the majority.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 07:55 PM
    Remember just a year ago this was supposed to be a big deal from RIM?

No lag, smaller package so app memory would no longer be a problem, better browsing experience, and it was supposed to make it easier on developers - every phone has 5.0!

Seeing as they failed on ALL of these after putting a long time into developing OS 5 (it first leaked before the Storm1 even launched!)...what is your confidence in OS 6? Mine is very low...

Now the 9530 .685 drops in China...and the camera doesn't work! They released a phone without a working camera!!!

Their quality, once a strength, has been crap. The BB OS today is almost exactly the same as 18 months ago. So if OS 6 has any flaws, as all phone OS's do, how is RIM going to fix it? Do they have any new processes in place? How can we be assured their quality isn't going to be as awful as it's been the last few years?

You can release all the beta zones, developer blogs, and BES features you want, but your biggest flaw RIM is software development, and you've done very little to address it in the last few years. Disappointed.

With all the hype about Anroid and Iphone4 ... the die hard BB lovers tend not to like any "rant" or post that make the BB look bad. They all come out in packs just to comment when post like yours are up. They get pissy at you for posting yet spend the time to comment letting you know.
    06-28-10 11:33 PM
    Again... for those not following facts... the OP loaded an unofficial OS version.
    06-28-10 11:49 PM
    DevGod, why don't you and your homers leave this site being a)Your a Berry basher of all things and b)All of the people that have a berry and marvel at Andriods really have no clue what they are talking about....

I have had Andriods, messed on plenty of iPhooies and nothing can do as much as my 9700 can....period! Heck everyone bashes on the browser and is really not that bad. Take Java script off and have fun! Makes a huge difference....as fast as my Andriod phones were....I test if all the time next to my wife's mytouch and friends hero....

BB OS's IMO are some of the best around!

06-29-10 01:33 AM
    [...]Agreed. Sal just dropped some good info on early Storm 3 specs. (sal has been very reliable so I take this a somewhat accurate). He basically says 1ghz processor, org 512 mb flash but they are now testing 1gb, new screen input (not SurePress), new OS (not OS6)...oh, and LTE support. He said it should be the first or 2nd device running LTE for VZW. There could be an android device that drops first.

So it all comes to how well this is executed, but it sounds like RIM pulled their heads outta the sand last year some time.

Here. Feel better now?

06-29-10 02:36 AM
    Here. Feel better now?
    Ah yes, the (still at this point) mythological storm 3. Any word on it's release date?
    06-29-10 02:55 AM
    Again... for those not following facts... the OP loaded an unofficial OS version.
    Name me an OS that works then

Anyone who thinks the BB browser works well isn't really in tune with technology.

06-29-10 08:51 AM
    Name me an OS that works then

Anyone who thinks the BB browser works well isn't really in tune with technology.

I guess I'm not in tune to technology then. To me, OS 5.0 .732 works fine for the 9650 so far. The browser isn't fast, but it does have some useful features. Ability to forward the web page to Twitter, Facebook, Email, PIN, SMS, MMS, Group Message, and BlackBerry Messenger. The same hold true for links in a page. Ability to save a web page to your message box. Ability to jump to bookmarks by typing out certain letters. Ability to select and copy text. Those are features other smart phones are capable of doing as well. If we can get Tab browsing, speed, and better HTML rendering that would be great.

06-29-10 09:02 AM
    well YA!! clearly if OS6 fails I have to throw my Tour and Curve in the trash and buy an Android cause they will stop working right?
    hahhahahah
    06-29-10 09:15 AM
    I always imagine these rants in a drama queen voice...
    becuase most of them are drama queens hehe
    06-29-10 09:17 AM
    In terms of what? What exactly does an android phone do (as far as everyday usefulness) that a BB can't? Oh, I know, its battery dies after a few hours of use. Yeah, that's light years ahead.
    dont forget the fisher price interface on android
    06-29-10 09:22 AM
    Can I remind people that Android and Apple have already launched their flagship devices for this year, RIM hasn't yet. Until then it's never gonna be a fair comparison.

06-29-10 09:51 AM
    The fact is, there is always flaws in the OS. Your telling me when they release the leak officially it wont be flawed like every other OS ? lol. Seriously come on think about it. OS 5.0 was meant to bring RIM back into todays market. It really hasnt.

DevGod, why don't you and your homers leave this site being a)Your a Berry basher of all things and b)All of the people that have a berry and marvel at Andriods really have no clue what they are talking about....

I have had Andriods, messed on plenty of iPhooies and nothing can do as much as my 9700 can....period! Heck everyone bashes on the browser and is really not that bad. Take Java script off and have fun! Makes a huge difference....

BB OS's IMO are some of the best around!

You really dont have a clue. You need to stop bashing the OP and forget your bias opinion for at least a second. He has a point. And how is the 9700 better than the iphone. I have both bb is my company phone and the iphone is my personal. Id really like to know because apart from BBM i really dont see anything that the 9700 can do compared to the iphone.

This thread becoming quite enjoyable to read at work lol.
    06-29-10 09:56 AM
    The fact is, there is always flaws in the OS. Your telling me when they release the leak officially it wont be flawed like every other OS ? lol. Seriously come on think about it. OS 5.0 was meant to bring RIM back into todays market. It really hasnt.

If RIM officially releases an OS version, it is not a leak anymore.

If RIM ever built a perfect device with a perfect OS, people wouldn't need
    to upgrade. So, logic tells me not to expect perfection, from RIM or other
    companies' products. Products have flaws. Accept reality.

I'm still using my Curve, and letting everyone else beta test the newer
    models before I buy anything new.
    06-29-10 12:48 PM
    Don't get me wrong here, there are problems with any phone. Android has terrible battery life and Apple leaves you with strange drawbacks like the inability to multitask or change a battery.

RIM's biggest drawback? Everyone will tell you it's the OS more than anything else. And yet...this is what they don't improve...a lot is riding on 6.0.
    06-29-10 01:52 PM
    Don't get me wrong here, there are problems with any phone. Android has terrible battery life and Apple leaves you with strange drawbacks like the inability to multitask or change a battery.

RIM's biggest drawback? Everyone will tell you it's the OS more than anything else. And yet...this is what they don't improve...a lot is riding on 6.0.
    I never listen to "everyone." I form my own opinions!
    06-29-10 01:57 PM
    Although blackberry was my first smartphone they really need to do a massive overall before I think of coming back from android. Ive always thought that blackberry is very user friendly
    06-29-10 02:03 PM
    Although blackberry was my first smartphone they really need to do a massive overall before I think of coming back from android. Ive always thought that blackberry is very user friendly

I agree, the UI is laid out very simply and I'm glad they are not changing much there. Android and even Apple can take a while to get used to. It's all performance, performance, performance so they can A) catch up to others and B) attract more apps.
    06-29-10 04:59 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD