I find it interesting that there are rumors that apple will announce its ipad 3 in early February, just about the same time that playbook 0s 2 is scheduled to be released.
    What do you think?
    01-22-12 10:54 AM
    I find it interesting that there are rumors that apple will announce its ipad 3 in early February, just about the same time that playbook 0s 2 is scheduled to be released.
    What do you think?
    Apple announced iPad 2 around the same time last year and released in March. It seems to be an annual thing for AAPL.
    01-22-12 11:10 AM
    Apple announced iPad 2 around the same time last year and released in March. It seems to be an annual thing for AAPL.
    Actually they announced the iPad 2 at the beginning of March, one week before it shipped.

Apple - Press Info - Apple Launches iPad 2

They announced the first iPad a couple months before it shipped, likely because they wanted the announcement to come from them and not via an FCC leak.
    01-22-12 11:16 AM
    Actually they announced the iPad 2 at the beginning of March, one week before it shipped.

Apple - Press Info - Apple Launches iPad 2

They announced the first iPad a couple months before it shipped, likely because they wanted the announcement to come from them and not via an FCC leak.
    Yes. I meant to imply that I don't think AAPL is doing this to infringe on PB 2.0 release. As it seemed that OP might be alluding to this idea.
    01-22-12 11:44 AM
    I think that's just spiteful of apple to do that.

Not really. I'm sure apple fans will be excited as will playbook owners when the OS comes for it.
    01-22-12 11:50 AM
    iPad 3 will kick some ****
    Last edited by emirozmen; 01-22-12 at 09:23 PM.
    Lead_Express likes this.
    01-22-12 12:20 PM
    I think that's just spiteful of apple to do that.

Not really. I'm sure apple fans will be excited as will playbook owners when the OS comes for it.
    As previously stated, the release cycle for the iPad is in March which is usually preceded by an announcement the previous month. I don't think that Apple had the PlayBook in mind when planning this, but it will most likely cause a lot of attention to be drawn away from the PlayBook OS 2.
    01-22-12 04:38 PM
    If RIM keeps improving Playbook and keeps the prices low, it could yet compete. It was dead in the water at $500 for the base model, but at current prices with a fresh start it's a different story.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-22-12 05:00 PM
    iPad 3 will kick some
    Really? becuase iPhone 4S didn't & as I recall the iPad2 wasn't all that amazing either (when compared spec wise to other tab's comming out at that time)
    01-22-12 05:27 PM
    Really? becuase iPhone 4S didn't & as I recall the iPad2 wasn't all that amazing either (when compared spec wise to other tab's comming out at that time)
    Um, the iPhone 4S outsold every smart phone, ever, and still does, and the iPad 2 did the same among tablets, I believe it has outsold every other tablet by an order of magnitude (perhaps combined) except the original iPad, which it outsold handily.

(reading closer)

Oh. Specs. Yeah, I remember when it was about specs. I see your point... the next one will probably set unit, dollar, and customer satisfaction records... but the specs... we'll have to wait and see.

Can you IMAGINE how bad the Chinese iPhone 4S riots would have been if the device hadn't been such a "disappointment"
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-22-12 06:13 PM
    Looking forward to the iPad 3. Got my dad an iPad 2 and he loves it! Want to see new features of the iPad!

I'm still looking for a cheap PlayBook though.
    01-22-12 06:21 PM
    It could be good for RIM

If iPad3 comes out as a dud, a spec upgrade and not much else, the media will look for another story and 'rediscover' the playbook.

Apple has no choice but to put the stupid home-screen button on it again.
    01-22-12 06:42 PM
    If RIM keeps improving Playbook and keeps the prices low, it could yet compete. It was dead in the water at $500 for the base model, but at current prices with a fresh start it's a different story.
    No way. I have had both inc on launch a 64gb PB and now iPad 2. The PB's are still reduced in price but they are so ahead that PB will never catch up. That's the truth.
    01-22-12 06:51 PM
    It could be good for RIM
    It seems like everything short of global thermonuclear war can be couched as "good" for RIM by someone on these forums. It never fails.

If iPad3 comes out as a dud, a spec upgrade and not much else, the media will look for another story and 'rediscover' the playbook.
    How could the iPad 3 be a dud? I mean, their success is all marketing anyway, so what makes you think that will change?

Apple has no choice but to put the stupid home-screen button on it again.
    They must be heartbroken.
    01-22-12 06:54 PM
    Yes, I think there is a chance that iPad 3 could be a disappointment. The iPad 2 had enough genuine feature enhancements that many original iPad users were compelled to upgrade.

The new one? At this point at least, we're hearing better graphics and speedier hardware, which may or may not drive migrations.
    01-22-12 07:02 PM
    they have already talking about the iPad3 coming out in March...
    Bloomberg: iPad 3 production starts, sports a quad-core processor, hi-res display and LTE | MobileSyrup.com
    iPad and iPhones just have a big presence. They are the talk of the town doesn't mean they are actually 'good' devices. When i worked for The Source and people all wanted the iPad but looked at the specs compared to the PB or even the XOOM they were second guessing themselves.
    01-22-12 07:52 PM
    LOL. Specs mean NOTHING.

I most likely won't be getting an iPad 3 for a variety of reasons, but my Paypal account is available for anyone is really wants to bet against it... I'll even do 10 to 1 odds...
    01-22-12 08:25 PM
    LOL. Specs mean NOTHING.
    There was a time when specs DID matter, and there are folks who still think they can win with specs. All of the devices were pretty bad, specs were low, and there were no ecosystems... so another .1mhz processor speed FTW.

Plus the IT guys like making spec decisions. No second-guessing. Brand X MUST be superior, it had four more quality points than Brand Y.

You can't blame the half-CEOs (soon to be ex-half-CEOs?) for blindly chasing specs and ending up selling the playbooks below cost just to make warehouse space. Ten years ago, specs would have been all it took. And what it takes now is just elusive to someone who can't even appreciate the difference (like Jim and Mike).
    01-22-12 08:56 PM
    There was a time when specs DID matter, and there are folks who still think they can win with specs. All of the devices were pretty bad, specs were low, and there were no ecosystems... so another .1mhz processor speed FTW.

Plus the IT guys like making spec decisions. No second-guessing. Brand X MUST be superior, it had four more quality points than Brand Y.

You can't blame the half-CEOs (soon to be ex-half-CEOs?) for blindly chasing specs and ending up selling the playbooks below cost just to make warehouse space. Ten years ago, specs would have been all it took. And what it takes now is just elusive to someone who can't even appreciate the difference (like Jim and Mike).
    I can't disagree with your main points. Well put.

In the world today, ecosystems are what make the difference. It is the MAIN reason (IMHO) Apple and Android have the marketshare they have.

It ain't rocket science. I laugh when I still see PB owners look wondrously at the Fire. "But it's a stripped down PB!" No kidding... it can also do more for the average person than the PB.

It is the ecosystem.
    01-22-12 09:03 PM
    Yes, I think there is a chance that iPad 3 could be a disappointment. The iPad 2 had enough genuine feature enhancements that many original iPad users were compelled to upgrade.
    Not so true. As one who went from iPad to iPad. Main difference was addition of a crappy camera. Screen resolution(very important) did not change in anyway.

Apple has the new product/update rhythm down pat. I expect the new iPad as well as the new phone will be completely 'new' products this year.
    01-22-12 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD