Would it be possible to have a software update, or unlock the ability to use wifi on the original storm after the Storm 2 comes out? I like the first storm, and will be under contract after the second comes out. Does anyone know if it is even possible to do what I am talking about?
    07-01-09 01:48 PM
    storm 1 doesnt have the hardware needed to use wi-fi....
    in other words THERE IS NO WI-FI "CARD" IN THE STORM 1
    07-01-09 01:52 PM
    That's not what we have heard.

Apparently there is wifi capability in the Storm, but it is locked and unusable. I have heard this from more than one source.
    07-01-09 02:00 PM
    I heard a strange rumor on the forums recently, if anyone wants to clarify/shoot it down, be my guest. But they say the Tour prototypes originally had WiFi in them, but they were "deactivated" for the consumer model (a low level software lock?). Now, it's been said that the Tour shares the same internals as the Storm. Put it all together, and you come to the conclusion that the since the Tour has a deactivated WiFi chip, then so does the Storm. It's just on lockdown by the OS.

I can't vouch for the validity of this, but it's what I've gathered from the CB forums over the past few weeks. So take it with a grain of salt, I suppose

EDIT: @ markdental - beaten lol.
    07-01-09 02:01 PM
    Interesting. Well maybe then it would be possible to in either circumstance, to input a card if needed or get some software code to unlock it. Here's hoping, I suppose.
    07-01-09 02:08 PM
    I am not going to flame or anything. but before you even post what you read by someone else you need to skim these

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/wi...highlight=wifi

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/can...highlight=wifi

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wif...highlight=wifi

actually im tired of copying go here

http://forums.crackberry.com/search....rchid=18072043
    07-01-09 02:11 PM
    You can post whatever search you want.

The 9630 had wifi on at one time (now disabled) and it has the same MSM7600 chipset. There's two antenna cables in the phone that resemble wifi capabilites. (people have indicated one of them is for the cell radios and the other is for Bluetooth... you don't need an antenna that big for range that Bluetooth covers.) I am quoting a bit of Civic here and I believe her.

Believe what you want. The Rodgers 9520 was supposed to have Wifi. Do you think they would build a specific model for that?
    07-01-09 02:21 PM

The 9630 had wifi on at one time (now disabled) and it has the same MSM7600 chipset. There's two antenna cables in the phone that resemble wifi capabilites. (people have indicated one of them is for the cell radios and the other is for Bluetooth... you don't need an antenna that big for range that Bluetooth covers.) I am quoting a bit of Civic here and I believe her.

Believe what you want. The Rodgers 9520 was supposed to have Wifi. Do you think they would build a specific model for that?
    Both the 9530 and 9630 had wifi at the prototype level... and the Chipset in the phone now supports it...

Now does that mean that the hardware is there ready to go? No it does not... and even if the antenna were on the board, it doesn't mean that the support chips are hooked up or there... if it was that easy... I imagine it would be used...

What I do know is that the Storm 2 does have the wifi there... and it will be there when it hits production... which should be soon...
    07-01-09 02:28 PM

not a specific model, but the dont put all the hardware in, and check out this thread...gives you an idea of what different model numbers mean...

Device Model Numbers and Meanings - BlackberryOS.com
    07-01-09 02:33 PM
    and do you really think that no one would have found a way yet if the hardware was there?
    07-01-09 02:35 PM
    First thanks for the threads, I tried searching and just got a bunch of stuff that didn't help. Second thanks for all the info, and if all the hardware was there the software and/or codes might be kept secret. Hope the storm two makes storm much better.
    07-01-09 02:55 PM
    First thanks for the threads, I tried searching and just got a bunch of stuff that didn't help. Second thanks for all the info, and if all the hardware was there the software and/or codes might be kept secret. Hope the storm two makes storm much better.
    Here's a teardown...

phoneWreck � BlackBerry Storm – Review and Teardown

There is NO WIFI antenna... for those that think there is...
    07-01-09 02:56 PM
    thank you... everyone really should read the threads i posted it has been stated so many times pictures of them taken apart yet everyone fights it like the plague
    07-01-09 02:59 PM
    I am not going to flame or anything. but before you even post what you read by someone else you need to skim these

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/wi...highlight=wifi

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/can...highlight=wifi

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wif...highlight=wifi

actually im tired of copying go here

http://forums.crackberry.com/search....rchid=18072043
    Off topic, This time I catch you in here! Just kidding.... Jnepsa
    07-01-09 03:06 PM
    What I do know is that the Storm 2 does have the wifi there... and it will be there when it hits production... which should be soon...
    How long does it typically take for a handset to be released after it enters production?

I guess what I am really asking is, based on what you've just told us, will we see the Storm 2 this summer?
    07-01-09 03:43 PM
    How long does it typically take for a handset to be released after it enters production?

I guess what I am really asking is, based on what you've just told us, will we see the Storm 2 this summer?
    You won't see the storm 2 this summer. Not to buy at least...

Use common sense... Common sense says you don't release a new device before everyone with the previous version can upgrade...
    Now ask yourself when that is...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 04:03 PM
    here we go... AGAIN ...
    07-01-09 04:04 PM
    lol. Tell me about it.

And I don't know anything... I'm just speculating...

07-01-09 04:09 PM
    That's not what we have heard.

Apparently there is wifi capability in the Storm, but it is locked and unusable. I have heard this from more than one source.
    I heard this as well from someone here that is right usually about 1000% of thie time.

as far as no antenna on the storm. i thought those went out in like the 80's or something....
    07-01-09 04:15 PM
    You still need internal antenna on the board...

07-01-09 04:22 PM
    I know i was j/k. but it could be dual purpose.....
    07-01-09 04:26 PM
    Common sense would be to release a kickass device (or a more polished OS) as soon as possible to stop the bloodletting from people bailing for the iPhone 3gs. Oh, wait, that's the same "common sense" that caused VZW to release the Storm 1 before it was ready so they could rake in the money on Black Friday.
    07-01-09 04:28 PM
    Common sense would be to release a kickass device (or a more polished OS) as soon as possible to stop the bloodletting from people bailing for the iPhone 3gs. Oh, wait, that's the same "common sense" that caused VZW to release the Storm 1 before it was ready so they could rake in the money on Black Friday.
    You can always say "if only they had waited just a little more..." but the problem is release dates get set... and sometimes things happen...

But I do agree if the Storm had been released with .148 then a lot more people would have been happy... but as it is the phone works pretty well on .148... I would still take a Storm with .148 over an iPhone with 3.0... and I have an ipod touch with 3.0 and know people with iphones with 3.0 to know exactly how they are before anyone says anything... lol

The Storm is a fairly decent phone... the Storm 2 is gonna be a kick *** phone...
    07-01-09 05:21 PM
    The storm 2 can only be as good as its OS allows. At this point that is not very good assuming it runs the same OS as the storm.

07-01-09 06:15 PM
    The storm 2 can only be as good as its OS allows. At this point that is not very good assuming it runs the same OS as the storm.

I guess time will tell...
    07-01-09 07:28 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD