Hi,

Im new to blackberry and the uk. Just moved here recently and bought the new blackberry curve 8900 together with a pay-monthly orange contract in believe could surf everywhere in central london (where i live and work) in EDGE speed.

unfortunately everything i get is an GPRS signal. I called orange already several times but it doesnt seem like anybody there has a clue what im talking about. Most of the guys ive talked to at customer service do not even know what EDGE is. All the could tell me is that if an EDGE signal is available my blackberry will automaticly change to it.

As i said i live in central london and i never got an EDGE signal. Does anybody know if orange just do not provide EDGE in london? My friends who are on O2 get an EDGE signal all the time in central london.

Would be nice if anybody could help me with my dilemma (GPRS is annoying slow for surfing...).

Regards,
    Dan
    02-24-09 08:35 AM
    From what I have heard (and I maybe wrong!) there are actually very few areas here in the UK where U WILL get an EDGE connection! I would have though that central London would be one one of the areas but.....
    02-24-09 09:49 AM
    Orange does not have an EDGE network full stop. O2 are the only UK provider with an EDGE network. The sole reason I switched from Orange to O2. Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by dissa9; 02-24-09 at 10:11 AM.
    02-24-09 10:02 AM
    wow, calm down there, Orange does have an EDGE network.

However, they cut back alot of the upgrading because they wanted to concentrate on 3G.

I have only ever got an EDGE connection when on the beach in Barmouth and in the queue at the thinktank in Birmingham, and West London.

Sorry.
    02-24-09 11:06 AM
    I have it in london from time to time on orange.
    really not an issue for me though... fast enough on GPRS.
    02-24-09 11:26 AM
    Sorry about that I was obviously misinformed, I'm sure I read that on this forum. I do believe O2's EDGE network has pretty good coverage.

02-24-09 11:39 AM
    I tend to get edge outdoors and when im inside its gprs 95% of the time.

02-24-09 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD