Well that's interesting: a friend whose contract runs out in a month from now has just contacted Optus to upgrade from her Bold 9900 to a Q10, and has been told that Optus don't have any BlackBerry phones, and doesn't plan on getting any in the future, either. I had a quick check on their web site, and although there is some mention of BlackBerry under plans, sure enough, it's all starting to disappear and you get redirected to any other brand but BlackBerry.

Way to go, Optus.
    03-24-14 09:59 PM
    Really? We have 5 BlackBerry lines with them.

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    03-24-14 10:15 PM
    Yep. As of now, BlackBerry seems to be persona non grata at Optus.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 10:36 PM
    Not surprising really. Telstra's your only go now I think? Pretty soon we'll all be buying 'em unlocked on eBay lol

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.2102
    03-24-14 11:04 PM
    Yes Telstra is still selling, as is Vodafone (only the Z10 though). I bought my Q10 outright from JB HiFi last year for a very good price, but I notice they're not carrying BlackBerry any more either. Soon, it really will be eBay only, which is quite stupid. What a sales channel: "buy our product in your country exclusively on eBay!"

Anyway I pointed her to eBay and she's happy knowing she won't have to give up her keyboard.
    03-24-14 11:11 PM
    In Australia, all of the carriers are moving to Business only BlackBerry's. Telstra still has the full range on a business plan. The hard part is that even in the retail stores it's a bit of pot luck. I was fortunate to win my Q10. I've always been on a plan and when my contract runs out in October, I was hoping to avail myself of one of the new rumoured devices. I'm not sure which will win, my love of BlackBerry or my disgust at Telstra.
    03-24-14 11:37 PM
    Just do what I do. I've had nothing but BlackBerry for 6 or 7 years now, and have always bought the hardware outright at the best price I could find, and gone with a SIM-only plan.You save money in the long run because as we know, the phone price is built into your "free phone" plan anyway, and it's always at full retail from the carrier. For example, I bought my Q10 from JB HiFi for only $580, when full retail was $699 from Telstra or Optus. As long as I can buy the hardware from somewhere, I'll keep running it.

But it shouldn't have to be this hard. I really believe the current BlackBerry series is the best communication tool you can buy, bar none (note I said communication tool, not game console), but it sure is hard work buying one of the bloody things. You really have to put in an effort to give BlackBerry your money!
    Harrison Hoolahan likes this.
    03-25-14 12:18 AM
    That doesn't surprise me one bit

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 01:40 AM
    I'm from Canada and have been in Aus for 7 years and have been buying my BB's from Canada and bring them back.. I give up 4G bands but for a 1/3 of the cost I'm ok with it. But now that's starting to look like the only option...

Dear Telstra,
    Get F&^ked.
    Thank you
    03-25-14 01:51 AM
    Sounds like BlackBerry needs to setup online stores in all countries. They also need to drastically improve the experience of the stores that they have, and provide much better support after the sale. They got lazy and relied 100% on the carriers for everything related to the sale and now have nothing in place as these carriers decide to stop selling the devices.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 06:39 AM
    Precisely. I could never figure out BlackBerry as a company. Best product, but marketed as if it's a deliberate attempt at sabotage. As far as I'm aware, there were never any BlackBerry stores in Australia. Big mistake, relying on the telcos, as they only do what they do best: push product that makes the most commission. You can't blame the telcos... sharks do what sharks do.
    03-25-14 06:49 AM
    My son is down in Australia since last December travelling around the country and his only gripe is that it's difficult to hook up his BB phone over there. What's with that? I'm surprised because it seems that BlackBerry enterprise of doing well there.
    03-25-14 07:54 AM
    If it's a BB10 phone, it shouldn't be any trouble as you don't use BIS any more. If it's a BBOS phone, then the trouble is you need BIS, and telcos here won't give you BIS access unless you sign up for the normal, full two-year contract thing. If you're on prepaid, you're out of luck.
    03-25-14 08:09 AM
    If it's a BB10 phone, it shouldn't be any trouble as you don't use BIS any more. If it's a BBOS phone, then the trouble is you need BIS, and telcos here won't give you BIS access unless you sign up for the normal, full two-year contract thing. If you're on prepaid, you're out of luck.
    That makes sense; He has the slider 9860. Just curious, how much do Q10 go for down there?
    03-25-14 08:31 AM
    Any time a new model comes out, it's always $700-$750 from the telcos, with store prices about $50 less after a couple of months. I paid $580 for my Q10 from JB HiFi, a local store, and current prices on eBay are $420-$470, new in box.
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-25-14 08:52 AM
    I was at Optus today, getting a new SIM (as I lost my other) and they were telling me how I would need a BIS SIM card.

WHAT!?!?!?!?

I tweeted them and asked if they still support BlackBerry, and they said they still do and still plan on selling them.

Posted via my Z30.
    03-25-14 09:32 AM
    I was at Optus today, getting a new SIM (as I lost my other) and they were telling me how I would need a BIS SIM card.
    Some carriers still require a BlackBerry Plan even on the BB10 phones. You are not getting BIS, but it may be giving you access to the BlackBerry services without using data, such as unlimited BBM video calling. In addition, depending on your carrier/bank, you may need a NFC specific SIM card to use your phone with payment terminals.
    03-25-14 09:50 AM
    But it's America that is causing BlackBerry to fail! Ask some of the folks posting on this website.

Posted via Verizon Z10 - OS v10.1.2.2174
    03-25-14 11:21 AM