Do you use your Blackberry allot always sending and receiving email, sending txt, mms ? Has your Blackberry slowed down lately and you've been seeing the hour glass allot ? Here are a fewtips on how to speed up your Blackberry and reduce the amount of device freezing. *I am using a Blackberry bold how ever though the options should be the same on other devices, if you have any problems please let me know.

1: Clear your Blackberry event log
    A: Press the alt key and hold it down then press l-g + l-g.
    B: If successful the Blackberry Event log will then be displayed.
    C: Press the menu button and select clear log (You will be promoted to delete delete the log) and then delete.

2: Memory Cleaning (This helps BIG TIME)
    A: Press the menu button on your Blackberry.
    B: Go to the settings option>Security Options
    C: In the security options you will see "Memory Cleaning" click and open it.
    D: If memory cleaning is enabled you do not have to do anything. If memory cleaning is disabled select he enable option and click save.
    E: After selecting save do a battery pull on your phone and wait 5mins before placing the battery back in again.

After placing the battery back in again speed increase should will be shown right away if not gradually.

2: Close unneeded programs when not using them
    As simple as it may be having a program open that you are not using hinders Blackberry performance. Do your self and your phone a favor by closing unneeded programs that you have open and running.

Let me know how it goes.
    05-20-09 01:11 PM
    Yep....this is pretty much common knowledge.

Welcome to CB.
    05-20-09 01:16 PM
    Yep, these tips have been well documented. Thanks for your help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 01:20 PM
    nothing new here - but, good reminders. thanks
    05-20-09 01:26 PM
    wait wait wait, are you saying go 5 minutes without using my BB?!
    05-20-09 01:38 PM
    Yeah, that was a pretty insane recommendation

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 01:42 PM
    There are a couple things we should clairfy.

The Event log is part of the core BlackBerry OS. It uses a small (2 Kb), fixed size file to record diagnostic information while the device is running. There is no point in purging the file, it will be immediately rebuilt.

Memory Cleaning is a setting that activates a higher state of security in the device. The memory cleaning does purge the clipboard, but that is the only benifit you will see.

In my experience, if you have freed up enough memory for normal operation, there is little more that can be accomplished by overriding the built in memory management.
    05-20-09 01:43 PM
    close unneeded apps = most important
    05-20-09 02:34 PM
    There are a couple things we should clairfy.

The Event log is part of the core BlackBerry OS. It uses a small (2 Kb), fixed size file to record diagnostic information while the device is running. There is no point in purging the file, it will be immediately rebuilt.

Memory Cleaning is a setting that activates a higher state of security in the device. The memory cleaning does purge the clipboard, but that is the only benifit you will see.

In my experience, if you have freed up enough memory for normal operation, there is little more that can be accomplished by overriding the built in memory management.
    I've had my 'berry for about 6 months now and it's been extremely slow lately. I didn't know about the event log thing and just tried it and the speed of my device increased dramatically. It's as fast now as it was when I got it and the event log hasn't rebuilt itself (it does have events that have been logged since I cleared it). Would definitely recommend someone give that a shot if they're having trouble with performance. Being able to dig into the logs to troubleshoot will be nice too.
    07-17-09 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD