I'm very curious by nature, i always have been. I'm curious to know what Mike, Doug, and Jim think of BB10. I know that neither of them would risk opening their mouths at this point because of all the negative press surrounding "old blood" anywhere near RIM.
    01-07-13 09:34 AM
    I would add to the list Tim Cook, Steve Jobs (RIP), and Steve Ballmer...
    DocDRM likes this.
    01-07-13 09:43 AM
    I would add to the list Tim Cook, Steve Jobs (RIP), and Steve Ballmer...
    The problem with those 3, errr, 2, is you would be getting a very biased opinion. Mike and Doug were the founders, this company was(is?) their baby, all grown up now and struggling through those rough teenage years.
    T-Raww likes this.
    01-07-13 09:49 AM
    The problem with those 3, errr, 2, is you would be getting a very biased opinion. Mike and Doug were the founders, this company was(is?) their baby, all grown up now and struggling through those rough teenage years.
    Yeah, I know. I would like to know if those 3 or 2 take seriously the competition. We already heard Ballmer talking about iOS I think it was, and he expressed himself very unprofessionally about it. Look at Thorsten, he packed a GS3 when they got out, and he talks very politely about all other platforms, at least publicly.
    01-07-13 09:54 AM
    It would be so great to hear their true opinions, but it would be impossible as pointed out. I mean, what are they going to say? I don't have on-the-ground info, so my uninformed opinion isn't worth much, but this is the Cliff Notes to my take: really smart, really hard-working guys developed a brilliant product. Any business heavy-weight carried what? A BlackBerry, of course. But then the clouds started gathering. The OS was maxed, the CEOs to the edge of their abilities in managing a company that had become way more than anyone ever dreamed, people sat on their laurels and didn't see the future (so easy to say in hindsight). Then one dark night a guy named Steve Jobs jumped out of the bushes with a baseball bat ... er ... iProduct. What they did was amazing, which is why we are here discussing it. King Thor is about to take it to the next level. Even tho I feel like I will never make it the next few days until the release of BB10 I think of people like the Hurricane Sandy victims and figure I can come up with the stamina somehow (sheepish grin here).
    01-07-13 10:15 AM
    Mike Lazaridis, Doug Fregin, & Jim Balsillie are not allowed to see Blackberry10, they have to wait til January 30th just like the rest of us

With all jokes aside, big respect to Mr Mike Lazaridis, founded a great company, if it wasn't for him crackberry wouldn't exist, and if crackberry didn't exist I wouldn't be able to make this post, and if I didn't make this post I wouldn't be able to kill 10 minutes at work before leaving for home
    jakie55, Pdinos3 and DocDRM like this.
    01-07-13 10:23 AM
    Mike to Doug...."awesome device" Mike and Doug to Jim...."hey James, what you think of this thing?"

Jim...." Don't bother me now, I'm still trying to buy an NHL franchise!"
    01-07-13 10:35 AM
    Does Doug Fregin have any involvement with RIM in any capacity anymore? He seems kind of elusive, just like Gordon Bell (co-founder of QNX). The only thing I found on Fregin was a 2005 Forbes article about him being the VP of Operations.
    01-07-13 11:17 AM
    Does Doug Fregin have any involvement with RIM in any capacity anymore? He seems kind of elusive, just like Gordon Bell (co-founder of QNX). The only thing I found on Fregin was a 2005 Forbes article about him being the VP of Operations.
    I don't know, I couldn't find much information either. He's very shy of the media, he's avoided the spot light for years. Being the other co-founder, I figured there would be plenty of information to find.
    01-07-13 11:34 AM
    Jim...." Don't bother me now, I'm still trying to buy an NHL franchise!"
    I think people (mistakenly assume) Jim was spending all his time looking for an NHL franchise. I imagine it was very little time
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-07-13 11:39 AM
    Those folks have a very vested interest in the sucess of BB10. They still own a ton of stock.
    jakie55 and SK122387 like this.
    01-07-13 11:41 AM
    I just wonder where RIM would be Now if Mike, Doug And Jim were Still running this company and were still voicing their opinions on the next BlackBerry without Heins as the new King.
    01-07-13 12:27 PM
    Well, Mike is still very much involved; he remains on the Board of Directors and is still heavily involved in high level technical discussions.

Both Mike and Jim are still among the largest RIM shareholders as well; presumably they're both "on board" with BB10.
    01-07-13 01:52 PM
    Sometimes when we start something we need another brain or head so to speak to take it over that proverbial hump
    01-07-13 02:11 PM
    I'd love to see the live feed of the launch event with thorsten presenting and then they pan to the audience and mike and jim are in the crowd. Its like when they show larry byrd at a celtics game or something
    DocDRM and jakie55 like this.
    01-07-13 02:18 PM
    I think people (mistakenly assume) Jim was spending all his time looking for an NHL franchise. I imagine it was very little time
    Was poking fun at that little factoid...please explain how you know how much time he spent on the issue.
    01-07-13 03:29 PM
    i imagine since they pretty much started the BB10 project, they have more of an idea of what the end result will be than we will :P
    01-07-13 07:15 PM
    Sometime after the comback in crystallized we will hear from them. Not anytime soon. But they both have a lot of stock, if they want to talk they have a mic. Thankfully their smarter than that!
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-07-13 07:25 PM
    As I've said before, thank you gentlemen. This was YOUR vision, not just RIM and BlackBerry, but this amazing(hope) new concept of MTM, SuperPhone, QNX connected device we will carry as BB10s.

I'm not one yet, but can almost imagine they will feel like proud paw-paws, watching their boy Thor bring the baby home to world!
    Dapper37 and imz like this.
    01-07-13 07:51 PM
    Was poking fun at that little factoid...please explain how you know how much time he spent on the issue.
    He didn't spend much time on it at all. I know because I was playing ice hockey with him Sunday nights at RIM Park.
    Jim had/has a life outside of work just like the rest of us.
    01-07-13 10:08 PM